Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: which camera mode and settings to use for wedding shots

Default Re: which camera mode and settings to use for wedding shots

if the friend's uncle is the "main photographer", just relax and enjoy learning how to shoot a solemnization and wedding dinner. Be honest to your friend about your lack of experience so that he doesn't expect too much out of you. If the wedding album turns out to be crap, it will not be your fault, but the friend's uncle's fault as the main photographer.

your role as a 2nd photographer should be just to get some interesting mood shoots, photo journalistic styles of people enjoying the event, wedding couple/relatives/children's expressions. Get some of the key shots like the kissing, champagne bottle opening/pouring etc, but maybe try not to duplicate the main photographer's shots/angles too much. Assist the main photog if he requests.

btw is the "uncle" a professional or only 友情客串 as well?
    A7R3|V12|V15|FE28|MS17|MS35|MS50|50lux|50C|50Artis an|FD85L|FE85|90 cron|
    Σ24|35L|Σ50|135L|70-200G2

Hi guys, can i tag onto this thread? May i know what are the "hot" settings that we can use for our flash? I always use auto and nvr change anything. Just bought a 580EXII but don't know how to use it to its full capability

this thread has the blind leading the blind.. Haha..
    TS, juz go n enjoy the shooot lah.. I dont tink alot is expected of you..
    D3s / D3x / 18-55 f3.5 - 5.6 / 55-200 f3.5-5.6 / 50 f1.8

hi there - hope the suggestions have been helpful.

If you're taking photos for the last 3 months, could i ask if you are comfortable with taking portraits? If yes, then a 50mm f1.8 or 1.4 could be a good starting point. If you can gain access to an 85mm or a 105mm - i like these too, because you can frame a more intimate shot. If you have a lot of table settings like in typical wedding dinner setting, then you may also want to consider getting your hands on a wide-angle lens - 12mm or if you can't get this, then maybe anything from 20mm to 28mm? You can get more feedback if you decide what lens you have, and then ask for some typical settings (spell out the situations you can expect, or otherwise if you know the location, someone may have tried the venue before)

In some cases, 2nd photographers focus on a certain type of shot. i would think, if you are close to the groom, and generally know everyone, taking portraits or small group shots might be FUN! Your simple prime lens will get you some decent shots i think.

Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by ricleo View Post
    if the friend's uncle is the "main photographer", just relax and enjoy learning how to shoot a solemnization and wedding dinner. Be honest to your friend about your lack of experience so that he doesn't expect too much out of you. If the wedding album turns out to be crap, it will not be your fault, but the friend's uncle's fault as the main photographer.

your role as a 2nd photographer should be just to get some interesting mood shoots, photo journalistic styles of people enjoying the event, wedding couple/relatives/children's expressions. Get some of the key shots like the kissing, champagne bottle opening/pouring etc, but maybe try not to duplicate the main photographer's shots/angles too much. Assist the main photog if he requests.

btw is the "uncle" a professional or only 友情客串 as well?
    agree with this too

LoL really enjoyable to see this kind of thread floating here and there. It is really a blind leading the blind. If TS is not sure of whats the setting use for Wedding best not to be in it at the moment. you can stand aside and learn first b4 jumping into the boat. But first of all learn what ur gear can do and handle and also the limitation of it.

Quote Originally Posted by reconn View Post
    Best camera use for wedding, choose full frame regardless wat brands. ISO is tolerable up to 3200 with prime lens.
    wow, based on this advice I think I better take out my dusty and trusty 35mm camera to shoot - full frame, high dynamic range and comes with prime lens some more... long live 35mm! Why waste money on DSLR?

Family | Health | Happy-ness. . . my Flickr here

Best camera use for wedding, choose full frame regardless wat brands. ISO is tolerable up to 3200 with prime lens. Hence if u using camera such as the 450d. Stick to prime lens in or outdoors. Flash use for group shots only wen necessary. Lens apperture f1.4-1.8 is the best for weddings.
    really? so easy, no wonder there are more wedding photographers than wedding couples nowadays.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

I believe your friend want to give you the chance to learn wedding photography yea?
    Just relax and learn, get the exposure.
    I would like to have such opportunity too, since wedding dinner is not always have kind.
    Chill all and have fun bro!
    Clean. Simple. Makes out a good composition.

i did specify to my friend that i just started photography, and i am inexperience and hope he don't expect some fantastic shots from me.

Well its really a golden opportunity for my friend to give me this chance to learn wedding photography, solemnization, wedding dinner, be his brother and lastly as 1 of his drivers. really a lot of things to do wor.

i have came across some threads in this forum and read in detail on the DOs and DON'Ts of being 2nd photographer. hope i can cut down on the amt of mistakes.

As second photographer :

my recommendation is you should think what kind of shots you want to take, and work towards capturing that. eg. candid? close ups of bride and groom? or wider angle photos to take in the whole scene?

not saying you can't do all that, but it helps to have some clear idea of what you want to acheive.

as second photographer you can capture angles that main photographer may not be able to. for example, photos of the parents when the bride and groom are on stage giving their speech.

children will be very good subjects to take as well.

it will be quite challengeing because you will be indoor and outdoor, got day and night shoots. suggest try to take more during the day. daylight is your best friend.

do not be disheartened if you see that the flash or indoor shots turn out poorly. do not worry about lenses - if your uncle has some other lenses you can always borrow. and everyone has a different way of taking so there is no 'right' or 'wrong' lens. having said that you may find it easier to use prime at night (if avail) instead of your kit zoom + flash. less variables to deal with.

most importantly have fun and learn from the experience.

Originally Posted by reconn
    Best camera use for wedding, choose full frame regardless wat brands. ISO is tolerable up to 3200 with prime lens. Hence if u using camera such as the 450d. Stick to prime lens in or outdoors. Flash use for group shots only wen necessary. Lens apperture f1.4-1.8 is the best for weddings.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Waaaah, that's really bad advice!

You DO NOT need a full-frame camera. ISO 3200 is not tolerable, no matter what the lens. 1.4-1.8?? Your DOF will be so thin that maybe the bride's left ear is in focus and the rest not.
    Lol. A wedding photographer like him is going to spoilt someone's else wedding photography.
    1) Full frame or crop sensor doesn't matter. Its the skill and composition of the photographer.
    2) In wedding photography, the most importance is to capture the right moments regardless of ISO setting. ISO setting is not the priority. Grainy photos with perfect moments is better than quality photos without nice moments.
    3) You HARDLY use F1.4 - F1.8 for wedding.
    4) Flash for group shots, how many flashes you intend to mount to cover the group?

Quote Originally Posted by playplay View Post
    This depends on the style of the photographer and the look that the photographer intended to achieve.

I personally used a 2 prime set up recently with f-stop in that range for a wedding dinner. of course, I wasn't doing very many group shots either.

ps: I am not saying I agree with reconn. just sharing my experience.

Wow, I did't think I could spark a debate. Quite shocked to c some quite hostile. I take it positively no worries. I apologise if my inputs not relevant here. Some will understand I believe. No worries.

Got such 'pre Selected Wedding Mode' in camera ah? Can i have x-ray mode as well.
    hahaha dont worry wait till i join Canon RnD and i will put that mode in. Easier life for all of us.. wait got ppl asking can this camera take wedding or whatever event they have for the camera

Originally Posted by reconn
    Lol. A wedding photographer like him is going to spoilt someone's else wedding photography.
    1) Full frame or crop sensor doesn't matter. Its the skill and composition of the photographer.
    2) In wedding photography, the most importance is to capture the right moments regardless of ISO setting. ISO setting is not the priority. Grainy photos with perfect moments is better than quality photos without nice moments.
    4) Flash for group shots, how many flashes you intend to mount to cover the group?
    more then two persons in the photos, can consider group shots
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Wow, I did't think I could spark a debate. Quite shocked to c some quite hostile. I take it positively no worries. I apologise if my inputs not relevant here. Some will understand I believe. No worries.
    Hey, no worries. WELCOME to CS, where anything can be debated...

Sometimes, it's not what is said, but how you say it that matters. That's life.
    Family | Health | Happy-ness. . . my Flickr here

Smile Re: which camera mode and settings to use for wedding shots

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    really? so easy, no wonder there are more wedding photographers than wedding couples nowadays.
    i agree with that.. i just started Dslr again less then 3mths.. And i think the Best camera for wedding is not the camera. Its the photographer, given the best camera with not result a good photo. And I think its fun to be a assistant, try diff settin... Auto no fun..
    Last edited by synctec; 22nd September 2009 at 04:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LifeInMacro View Post
    Hey, no worries. WELCOME to CS, where anything can be debated...

Sometimes, it's not what is said, but how you say it that matters. That's life.
    Agreed. Anyway, jus sharing some of the photos here. We all hav passion for great photos I believe. Shots with/without prime lens...

http://www.facebook.com/photos.php?id=592959375

would love to join guys here for learning n sharing photoshoot.

Quote Originally Posted by R1szuan View Post
    hahaha dont worry wait till i join Canon RnD and i will put that mode in. Easier life for all of us.. wait got ppl asking can this camera take wedding or whatever event they have for the camera
    Hey bro, how about having transparent mode?
    Every photographer would like to have this I believe..

Just for laughs.
    Clean. Simple. Makes out a good composition.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast