Thread: Help on negative high res scan

Question Help on negative high res scan

I've never try scanning negative b4 so need expert help here.
    My friend wanted to do poster size banner and need to print the photo
    to minimum height of 0.5m @ the resolution of 300dpi so meaning abt 5900 x 3900. He have done the shoots on negative, so is it possible to scan the negative to the above mention resolution??? coz I've check out a couple of photo shops most said cannot reach so high res one and only around 72dpi. So is there any shop out there which does soooo high res scan @ affortable price??? TIA

Quote Originally Posted by Corvette
    I've never try scanning negative b4 so need expert help here.
    My friend wanted to do poster size banner and need to print the photo
    to minimum height of 0.5m @ the resolution of 300dpi so meaning abt 5900 x 3900. He have done the shoots on negative, so is it possible to scan the negative to the above mention resolution??? coz I've check out a couple of photo shops most said cannot reach so high res one and only around 72dpi. So is there any shop out there which does soooo high res scan @ affortable price??? TIA
    posters as big as the one you mentioned do not require 300dpi resolution. 150 or even 72 is enough because these posters are meant to be viewed from a distance, not right infront of your face.

so, given these resolutions, there are many photoshops that can do this for you.

if the east is convenient for you, digipro imaging is great. at marine parade.

Quote Originally Posted by showtime
    posters as big as the one you mentioned do not require 300dpi resolution. 150 or even 72 is enough because these posters are meant to be viewed from a distance, not right infront of your face.

so, given these resolutions, there are many photoshops that can do this for you.

if the east is convenient for you, digipro imaging is great. at marine parade.
    Thanks showtime.
    my friend wanted 300dpi to retain details of the pics (if i'm not wrong). As i'm not very into these stuff, i badly need help here.

Question - What's highest possible resolution i can scan frm a negative??

Thanks showtime.
    my friend wanted 300dpi to retain details of the pics (if i'm not wrong). As i'm not very into these stuff, i badly need help here.

Question - What's highest possible resolution i can scan frm a negative??

Really depends on the scanner you use. The Nikon coolscans can scan resolutions of up to 4000dpi.

Quote Originally Posted by coke21
    Really depends on the scanner you use. The Nikon coolscans can scan resolutions of up to 4000dpi.
    Heh if 4000dip, in terms of size/ resolution is how big??? can i goes up to as high as 5900 x 3900. Sorry me very blurr when it comes to resolution and the dpi thing.

Heh if 4000dip, in terms of size/ resolution is how big??? can i goes up to as high as 5900 x 3900. Sorry me very blurr when it comes to resolution and the dpi thing.
    the dpi thing is very easy. It just says that in one inch, there are x number of "dots" or pixels.

A 4000dpi scan of 35mm film should yield a image size of around 5680 x 3760 pixels. With a bit of interpolation, it will be able to get to your required size of 5900 x 3900.

Regards
    CK

You can use this formula.
    scanning res/printing res * height of scan target.

So lets say you are scanning at 4000dpi and printing at 300dpi.
    4000/300 * 2.4cm (film dimension is 3.6cm x 2.4cm) = 32cm.
    If you want a 50cm print at 300dpi print, then you need
    50*300/2.4=6250dpi scan
    At 200dpi, 4000/200*2.4, you get a 48cm print. You can stretch this a little. Or add a 2cm border.

Thanks CK & maddog.

I'll like to know where can i do scanning of negative @ 4000dpi??? any recommended shop? roughly wats the cost??? TIA

Not sure of any shops that does 4000dpi scanning. Several labs have "high resolution" scans at around 3000x2000 pixels, much less than 4000dpi though. Like showtime said, you don't really need 300dpi output to get a good print, especially for banners.

Maybe some CS users with a 4000dpi film scanner can help? Unfortunately my scanner is only 2700dpi.

Regards
    CK

I might be wrong on this but think SAFRA club has a high resolution scanner.

Quote Originally Posted by maddog
    I might be wrong on this but think SAFRA club has a high resolution scanner.
    Dunno about now, but the last time I checked, it's a Coolscan IV ED, 2900dpi. Maybe Objectifs have, not that sure.

Regards
    CK

300dpi is normally a printer's spec for coated stock with 150lpi.

Who is printing the poster size banner? Talk to the banner printer to find out the spec for it and work from there. It all depends on the output device and the material used.

For huge scans you could try a colour separtion trade house with high-end drum scanner. Be prepare to pay more though.

Try fotohub. Located in raffles place OUB center 3rd floor. Suntec also have.

Thanks all for the reply.
    I guess I've to ask my fren to check out fotohub.