Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Camera settings with pop-up flash

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Seletar Estate, Singapore
    Posts
    478

    Default Camera settings with pop-up flash

    What's the recommended camera settings for taking indoor portraits using the pop-up flash under window light?

    Is it better to use Auto mode? And if I use Aperture priority, what's the typical shutter settings with Aperture fully open?

  2. #2

    Default Re: Camera settings with pop-up flash

    I'm not an expert but this is what I normally do.

    1. set the flash to TTL
    2. In Manual mode, I set my shutter speed to 100 then play with my aperture. F11 being my max.

    in Aperture mode... I just adjust the aperture so that my shutter speed will always remain around 100 (or less)

    you may also want to reduce the power of your flash. in my case, -.3

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Seletar Estate, Singapore
    Posts
    478

    Default Re: Camera settings with pop-up flash

    Thanks for sharing.

  4. #4
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Camera settings with pop-up flash

    Quote Originally Posted by LBL2009 View Post
    What's the recommended camera settings for taking indoor portraits using the pop-up flash under window light?

    Is it better to use Auto mode? And if I use Aperture priority, what's the typical shutter settings with Aperture fully open?
    personally I use Aperture priority and set the flash ev to -1.0 or less depending on the distance of the subject to the lens.

    And wide open? Which lens? If I'm using 50mm f1.8, I'll leave the aperture to f2.8 and the shutter speed at the default 1/60 for the minimum shutter speed. The flash value will be calculated by the camera.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Seletar Estate, Singapore
    Posts
    478

    Default Re: Camera settings with pop-up flash

    Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    personally I use Aperture priority and set the flash ev to -1.0 or less depending on the distance of the subject to the lens.

    And wide open? Which lens? If I'm using 50mm f1.8, I'll leave the aperture to f2.8 and the shutter speed at the default 1/60 for the minimum shutter speed. The flash value will be calculated by the camera.
    Thanks. I didn't know flash value is calculated by the camera, I thought flash light is constant regardless of aperture, shutter settings.

  6. #6
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,394

    Default Re: Camera settings with pop-up flash

    Quote Originally Posted by LBL2009 View Post
    Thanks. I didn't know flash value is calculated by the camera, I thought flash light is constant regardless of aperture, shutter settings.
    No, you can adjust the flash output using FEC (Flash Exposure Compensation), adding an offset to the value calculated by the camera. On external flashes you can use manual flash settings where you define the output power is small increments.
    For Canon you can read up here: http://www.photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/ Do take note of different metering methods for flash when using Av or M on Canon.
    For other brands please check with manual and other online sources.
    EOS

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Seletar Estate, Singapore
    Posts
    478

    Default Re: Camera settings with pop-up flash

    Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    No, you can adjust the flash output using FEC (Flash Exposure Compensation), adding an offset to the value calculated by the camera. On external flashes you can use manual flash settings where you define the output power is small increments.
    For Canon you can read up here: http://www.photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/ Do take note of different metering methods for flash when using Av or M on Canon.
    For other brands please check with manual and other online sources.
    I read about flash exposure compensation but I am not aware that camera calculates the flash value, I thought flash light output is fix value. Will read the manual. Thanks.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •