Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: where is the cheapest country in Asia to buy DLSR body?

  1. #1

    Default where is the cheapest country in Asia to buy DLSR body?

    i have heard my frens saying some shops in HK and taiwan. Japan also has better prices if you dig hard enough.

    But im wondering what is the price diff? is it really worth the trip?

    thx

  2. #2

    Default Re: where is the cheapest country in Asia to buy DLSR body?

    I personally don't think it is worth to go overseas just to buy a camera. If I happen to be in HK though, I would definitely buy something as the prices there are significantly lower.

  3. #3

    Default Re: where is the cheapest country in Asia to buy DLSR body?

    Quote Originally Posted by PrimePhotog View Post
    I personally don't think it is worth to go overseas just to buy a camera. If I happen to be in HK though, I would definitely buy something as the prices there are significantly lower.
    but the warranty is an issue right? cuz bodies only have local warranties. In that case would Malaysia - JB be a better option since its easier to send it back to JB than say in HK.

    UNLESS HK is significantly cheaper...

  4. #4

    Default Re: where is the cheapest country in Asia to buy DLSR body?

    I would say that it is consider cheap if you happen to be in that country, else it would be more ex. just to fly over to purchase camera bodies or lens.

    My preferred choice is Taiwan as the service rendered and attitude are way much better than Hong Kong (my many bad experiences there). That's why i purchased only from Taiwan as i fly over frequently. I'll request for international warranty for my lens.
    Canon 7D, Fujifilm X-T1, 70-200IS f4L, 17-55 f2.8, G12, Fujifilm 23mm, 35mm & 18-55mm.

  5. #5

    Default Re: where is the cheapest country in Asia to buy DLSR body?

    Shanghai and Beijing are cheapest, but it also depends. If you're buiyng a low-end body, the savings might be 50-100 SGD. Worth it? Nope. But a high-end body with global warranty, you might save 800-1000 SGD.
    Alpha

  6. #6
    Senior Member Lomographer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Paterson Road
    Posts
    2,047

    Default Re: where is the cheapest country in Asia to buy DLSR body?

    how much are you willing to go to save that few hundred dollars?

    i think you should only get DSLR from overseas when you're there.

    it's not worth going there just to get it.

    but this year when i'm going to tokyo i will be getting my pentax k-x there.
    Pentax K-x

  7. #7

    Default Re: where is the cheapest country in Asia to buy DLSR body?

    Quote Originally Posted by perfecto View Post
    but the warranty is an issue right? cuz bodies only have local warranties. In that case would Malaysia - JB be a better option since its easier to send it back to JB than say in HK.

    UNLESS HK is significantly cheaper...
    it depends if the person knows the severity of the pros and cons.

    most of the time sticking with brands that offer international warranty is a good idea for beginners buying from overseas.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

  8. #8

    Default Re: where is the cheapest country in Asia to buy DLSR body?

    so far i think hk is the cheapest for most of the stuff. taiwan is not cheap unless u getting some 3rd party stuff or obscure items. canon stuff for example is almost the same price there. if u using pentax, its a good place to find lenses and get decent pricing compared to sg.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    113

    Default Re: where is the cheapest country in Asia to buy DLSR body?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Shanghai and Beijing are cheapest, but it also depends. If you're buiyng a low-end body, the savings might be 50-100 SGD. Worth it? Nope. But a high-end body with global warranty, you might save 800-1000 SGD.
    You're right, camera equipments in China are considered cheap as to Singapore on some camera models. Also, you save that 7% GST.

    Make the purchase if you happen to be in that country, else don't take the trouble.

  10. #10
    Senior Member raydio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    3,520

    Default Re: where is the cheapest country in Asia to buy DLSR body?

    I have lived in Hong Kong from 2006 to June 2009 (3 years). The prices are definitely cheaper but not so much as to fly there for the sole purpose to buy a body or lens. If you are in Hong Kong then it would be worth it to drop by one of the "reputable" shops and buy what you need.

    However, there are some shops that are dishonest. Most shops in the Tsim Sha Tsui area (along Nathan Road) have a bad reputation. Select shops in Mong Kok and on Stanley Street in Central are honest and good. And of course, the large department stores like Fortress, Broadway, etc., are reputable but often at slightly higher prices. It is best to do your research before going.

    This link is one of the best links that offers current prices and a list of reputable stores in Hong Kong:

    http://www.ygdragon.net/

    Good luck with your purchase.

  11. #11

    Default Re: where is the cheapest country in Asia to buy DLSR body?

    Quote Originally Posted by flipfreak View Post
    so far i think hk is the cheapest for most of the stuff. taiwan is not cheap unless u getting some 3rd party stuff or obscure items. canon stuff for example is almost the same price there. if u using pentax, its a good place to find lenses and get decent pricing compared to sg.
    True that HK is cheaper than Taiwan for all brand (esp. the big brand like Canon & Nikon), however, the service rendered by the shops in HK are not so professional and friendly as in Taiwan.

    I've went to several shops in Taiwan asking a lot of questions without buying but they still give u the smiling face. In HK, some dun even entertained u but acted so friendly with the caucasians (as thou i cannnot afford).

    That's why i've decided to skip buying camera stuff in HK.
    Canon 7D, Fujifilm X-T1, 70-200IS f4L, 17-55 f2.8, G12, Fujifilm 23mm, 35mm & 18-55mm.

  12. #12

    Default Re: where is the cheapest country in Asia to buy DLSR body?

    Quote Originally Posted by tc811 View Post
    True that HK is cheaper than Taiwan for all brand (esp. the big brand like Canon & Nikon), however, the service rendered by the shops in HK are not so professional and friendly as in Taiwan.

    I've went to several shops in Taiwan asking a lot of questions without buying but they still give u the smiling face. In HK, some dun even entertained u but acted so friendly with the caucasians (as thou i cannnot afford).

    That's why i've decided to skip buying camera stuff in HK.
    oh definitely. taiwanese are alot more courteous than hk and sgp.

  13. #13
    Senior Member CS TAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,663

    Default Re: where is the cheapest country in Asia to buy DLSR body?

    Quote Originally Posted by tc811 View Post
    True that HK is cheaper than Taiwan for all brand (esp. the big brand like Canon & Nikon), however, the service rendered by the shops in HK are not so professional and friendly as in Taiwan.

    I've went to several shops in Taiwan asking a lot of questions without buying but they still give u the smiling face. In HK, some dun even entertained u but acted so friendly with the caucasians (as thou i cannnot afford).

    That's why i've decided to skip buying camera stuff in HK.
    Then you don't sound like a Singaporean to me. There are so many threads here in CS that were asking questions on "the lowest price", "the most freebies", "with payment by credit card", "can pay in installments", etc... They don't seem to mind the service if the price is low.
    Canon 5D Mark II | 24-105L | 35L | 85L II | 135L | Samyang 14mm 2.8

  14. #14

    Default Re: where is the cheapest country in Asia to buy DLSR body?

    Quote Originally Posted by CS TAN View Post
    Then you don't sound like a Singaporean to me. There are so many threads here in CS that were asking questions on "the lowest price", "the most freebies", "with payment by credit card", "can pay in installments", etc... They don't seem to mind the service if the price is low.
    Well, i'm a true singaporean. I'm looking to get the lowest price tat i can find too. However, i cannot stand the bloody attitude even if they are one of the lowest. Eg, for canon brand stuff, i'll either get from the B&S in CS or purchase a brand new one. As for 3rd party lens, i'll just get it from Taiwan or B&S, price diff between TW & HK not > $100, at most $50. So why should i suffer the lousy service and attitude from shops in HK when i can purchase in TW with better service and still cheaper than to purchase in SG?
    Canon 7D, Fujifilm X-T1, 70-200IS f4L, 17-55 f2.8, G12, Fujifilm 23mm, 35mm & 18-55mm.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •