Thread: Homemade light box

Default Homemade light box

Hi,

has anyone tried building their own lightbox and has plans to share? I'm hoping it would be a simple and interesting DIY project, and perhaps even save some money!

It seems that the correct light source should have a color temperature of 5000k. Would an ordinary florescent tube do? Where can i find a 5000k light source, as well as a opal plastic sheet?

Thanx,
    AT

Most florescent tubes are at a temperature of 5300'K, if I remember correctly. Slightly more bluish than the correct temperature.

Default light box

i did tried once as follows:

1) use a ga lang gu ni box...
    2) crumpled aluminium foil
    3) paste crumpled aluminium foil into the inner side of the box
    4) Cut a hole just enough for your flash head to fixed in....
    5) you must have ways to trigger the flash (i bought some kind of off shoe flash trigger when i am overseas..the device would trigger the secondary flash when the main flash fires..)
    6) Lastly, cover the front of the box with a white cloth
    *** you have to find some ways to hold the box in position....

1) Later stage, i bought a $2 white umbrella...
    2) Take out the handle
    3) Buy a holder which can hold the umbrella and the flash onto a tripod...around $70 bought at ruby photo...but i think cathay photo also have..check out with them...
    4) As per step 5 above
    *****Very very useful as you can bring the umbrella anywhere you want...

hope the above helps....
    Last edited by MatthewSCL; 8th January 2004 at 08:55 AM.

lightbox as in the type you use to view yr slides?

Quote Originally Posted by reactan
    has anyone tried building their own lightbox and has plans to share? I'm hoping it would be a simple and interesting DIY project, and perhaps even save some money!

It seems that the correct light source should have a color temperature of 5000k. Would an ordinary florescent tube do? Where can i find a 5000k light source, as well as a opal plastic sheet?
    Other than colour temperature, there are other considerations. A good light box must have an even and accurate light distribution over its entire surface, else when viewing through it, you will not be sure if any particular spots are brighter/darker bcoz of exposure or bcox of the lightbox's unevenness. The colour temp must also be consistent over time. Most normal tubes start darkening at the edges after a while.
    Last edited by ST1100; 8th January 2004 at 10:45 AM.

vince123123
    Guests

I think reactan is asking how to build a lightbox rather than a softbox... lightbox to view slides rite?

Default hahahha

hahaha...wah laus..malus xia..hahhaa...ok ok...my mistakes...buai tahan..hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by bedrock
    lightbox as in the type you use to view yr slides?
    Yes, to view slides Thanks for all your replies. I havent tried to look for a light box yet. What would be a decent portable light box to get, and how much would it cost me? wouldnt a "purchased" light box darken over time as well?

i used an old aquarium light with a 4' single tube, covered the entire surface with some white opaque plastic sheet which you can buy from any good hobby shop, about 0.3mm thk should do. i can lay my slides out in a neat row for viewing.
    Today is a gift; that's why it's called the present.
    The toys