Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: MALAYSIA is starting a food fight

Default Re: MALAYSIA is starting a food fight

Malaysia must be doing really well and must have solved all problems that they can argue about little things....
    Never forget rule 5
    My Flickr

or the other way round, use little things to cover up problem. actual problem.

Like real.If malaysia is doing very good and how come those non muslim come to singapore to work and study.

our strong exchange rate. 1 : 2.3 they work here for one year, go back can rest for another 2 year

i suppose this has nothing to do with this whole episode of food saga let's not OT

It should had done it before the Singapore and Malaysia separated, why they not claimed the 1st sex scandal in Malaysia.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Seo View Post
    It should had done it before the Singapore and Malaysia separated, why they not claimed the 1st sex scandal in Malaysia.
    Because Malaysia thought after separation Singapore would give back all Laksa, nasi lemak, Hainanese chicken rice, chilli crab and bak kut teh etc. to Malaysia and never ate them again.

Last edited by Sion; 20th September 2009 at 01:31 PM.

they caught mas selamat also never return back to singapore.. claim mas selamat is belong to them...

Quote Originally Posted by archlover View Post
    they caught mas selamat also never return back to singapore.. claim mas selamat is belong to them...
    I think they needs him to star in a movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    I think they needs him to star in a movie.
    The fugitive?

Quote Originally Posted by contaxable View Post
    The fugitive?
    Part 1 already happen in Singapore, maybe Malaysia think since Singaore cannot even properly lock a "bai ka kia", better keep him in Malaysia....

maybe next they will try to claim "singapore noodles"..

which incidentally, can only be found in western countries in random shops (usually chinatown) and tastes nothing like what we have here.

they can have it with my blessings.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    maybe next they will try to claim "singapore noodles"..

which incidentally, can only be found in western countries in random shops (usually chinatown) and tastes nothing like what we have here.

they can have it with my blessings.
    The minister has got a new Malaysian dish named after her:

Yen Yen deep-fried chicken breast stuffed with spicy goat entrails.
    Last edited by Sion; 21st September 2009 at 10:44 PM.

Actually, jokes and stupidity from M'sia aside, there is some truth in some food origins. but to make an issue out of it is outright ridiculous and shameless lah....

well, here are some examples:-

1) Singapore Chicken rice definitely is not from Hainan. The only thing that Singapore can claim the style of chicken rice is Singaporean, is the Garlic, ginger, chilli blend and to top it off with the dark soy sauce (which is sweetish).

In M'sia, the chicken rice is similar, but without that garlic and ginger and chilli blend and let alone the dark soy sauce...so technically the sauce is singaporean while the chicken rice is...erm.....Cantonese styled (can i then sue both countries for stealing such treasured culture of cantonese?!)

2) As for Ipoh Horfun......there can only be one place that is authentic.....Ipoh.....If you have ever eaten at Ipoh and then at Holland V Ipoh Horfun and all other so called Ipoh Horfun, u will definitely find that the Ipoh Horfuns in Singapore are a JOKE! Now If I was that siao food minister, i can effectively SUE all the ipoh horfun shops in Singapore which sells COMPLETELY Crap version and fake version.

What makes Ipoh sar hor fun so special? its the Water that is used to make the sar hor fun, the Texture of that horfun is even smoother and silkier than Pho. Because of the alkalinity of the waters in Ipoh, the beansprouts are also much thicker, juicier and sweeter than other beansprouts found in other parts of M'sia, LET ALONE SINGAPORE! Ipoh Horfun was NEVER NEVER STARCHY WITH GRAVY like part of your mucosal lining! It was always Soup with Prawns, and Shredded Bak Jam Gai (boiled chicken ala cantonese style) and kangkong.

3) Char Kway Teow Singapore style was an interpretation of how Penang Char Kway Teow is.......sickly sweet, sticky and oily....... In M'sia there is Penang Char Kway Teow, Kampar See Hum chao Hor Fun, KL Fried Kway Teow........and all are different in terms of taste and textures...although the Penang ones and Kampar ones takes the top of favourites....in this case, wouldn't it be nice to call it Singapore Char Kway Teow?

4) Bak Kut Teh. Even though M'sia is a muslim country, that doesn't mean they cannot lay claim that BKT can be their heritage lar.....u've got the M'sian Chinese heritage. As for this, Again, there are so many styles of BKT that is well known in M'sia....top of the fav is Klang BKT, followed by KL Bak Kut Teh..... but i noticed that Singaporean BKT tends to be more like Teochew BKT.....hot peppery, whitish and thats it..... so how for this? Singaporean Teochew BKT?

5) AmPang Yong Tau Foo .... this is possibly the Worst interpretation ever of Yong Tau Foo in Singapore..... Even in KL, the standard has dropped SOOOOO MUCH and still there's a difference between the originals in KL as compared to the Singaporean ones....

6) Truly Singaporean is Bee Cheng Hiang Bak Kwa......... unless China decides to sue Singapore too for such interpretation of "rou gan"....

at the end of the day, our ancestors went everwhere with what they thought was the way to cook and reproduce something that they've learnt/not learnt enough...and maybe some of the not so authentic ones did come to Singapore and based on popularity then, it became something that the locals could identify with....

The only thing that maybe us locals should or could ponder then is the origins/roots of its existence......doesn't mean it comes from M'sia means it is a Heritage....

Its like now i cook almost everyday very authentic Kampar/Ipoh food in Germany....so based on the popularity of my cooking with my German colleagues, and if i open a food shop, do i sue the Germans for stealing my "M'sian-Singapore" heritage?

its a brainless thing to utter, but its also a fact that SOME foodie stuff were definitely interpretations of its origins.

Disclaimer:- I do not support M'sia claims of food heritage nor S'pore claims to food authenticity, but i support that Both sides have food that is good, but i still prefer M'sian food and believe that some of the Singaporean food had origins from M'sia...but definitely not a HERITAGE for M'sia.

and just for the record, I've been living in Singapore since i primary 1, became a Singaporean, served NS but was born in KL....

As long as the food tastes good, who cares where it originates from?

Quote Originally Posted by HeiPiGu View Post
    As long as the food tastes good, who cares where it originates from?
    are u really sure u want that question answered? 8)

Quote Originally Posted by kuanwk View Post
    are u really sure u want that question answered? 8)

Yes please

Yes please
    U sure U want to know?

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    U sure U want to know?

Ok lah ok lah, I don't wanna know already lah. Wait until I also hungry liao. Maggie Mee is originate from where huh?

Ok lah ok lah, I don't wanna know already lah. Wait until I also hungry liao. Maggie Mee is originate from where huh?
    from her skirt.

Yes please
    If you're in Europe (and since most Singaporeans really s**k up to angmohs) you'll be amazed at HOW MUCH THEY CARE about where the food comes from....!!!!!! coz places are KNOWN not only for their sights but also for their culinary expertise......

and for this, M'sia is on the world map for having one of the best food (source: various food resources, books, etc).

and Singapore is well known for being the one that started the "KOPITIAM" idea and is a melting pot of samplers for around the region. but for authenticity, visitors and anybody else who enjoy good food, should have at least some form of education about where the food comes from and how it is prepared and how it can be better improved..

In France (where again most new age Singaporeans s**k up to "Michelins"), even THEY regard the best pizzas, the best pastas and the best seefood comes from Italy esp since it is a Romanistic cuisine.

In Germany, even though they have remade their Crepes and Döners and all the rest of the "non German", they still attribute it to the origins...

and that is what basic respect is all about..

And comparing apples that comes from Spain vs Apples that comes from Deutschland? of course I'd buy that comes from Deutschland because it is where they are famous for too!

simple layman stuff.....Tiger or Erdinger?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast