Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: 5D or 50D?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    306

    Default 5D or 50D?

    Which is better?

    Of course 5D is a full frame and 50D is not so that one is a no brainer.

    But other than that? Most of the specs i see for 50D is newer and better than 5D. Can someone enlighten me?

  2. #2
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: 5D or 50D?

    then buy the 50D lor, since it is newer and better. If you don't know the difference, you won't appreciate it.

    you gotta ask more specific questions than "pls enlighten me". As much as we'd like to help, you need to help us help you. We're not google or wikipedia.
    Exploring! :)

  3. #3

    Default Re: 5D or 50D?

    IQ = 5D

    FPS, LCD, etc etc etc = 50D

    Better for me doesn't mean better for you... choose based on what you need and shoot

  4. #4

    Default Re: 5D or 50D?

    lol i think moderators gotta have a let's be less cynical campaign one day lol.

    anyway, i am a nikon user and putting a FF and crop sensor side by side, I had read up FF colors are better, much better noise control, sharper(kenrockwell has sample photos between a d700 and apc sensor camera, it shows a lot of difference on sharpness). I think one of the reason is due to megapixels density.

    wen you are buying a full frame, you gotta think about the cost in future, ff lens are heavier and more expensive (definitely for canon L lens), a FFbody is also much bigger and heavy. Of course, not forgetting the file size can be much larger..

    megapixels wise... it only affects the size of prints...
    Craptacular! More Craptacular : D80 + MB-D80 + 18mm - 135mm + 50mm F1.4

  5. #5
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: 5D or 50D?

    Quote Originally Posted by johngiam
    lol i think moderators gotta have a let's be less cynical campaign one day lol.
    ...
    I agree with you . Newbies getting tough treatment nowadays.
    But there seem to be more and more lazy newbies asking questions that are often asked repeatedly.
    Yes it's true we SHOULD point them in the right direction, like look "here" for the relevant info... but to do that repeatedly...? hmmm, this will get tiring after a while. Eventually those with the knowledge might just ignore the newbies section altogether (what's the point in replying?), then...
    Last edited by ZerocoolAstra; 18th September 2009 at 01:02 PM.
    Exploring! :)

  6. #6
    Member Cartman2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    1,732

    Default Re: 5D or 50D?

    5D w/ 28-105mm

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    306

    Default Re: 5D or 50D?

    I'm sorry guys. I already googled, read the reviews from dp, made comparisons, but those are just paper statistics. Most of which are very technical, like one uses Digic IV processor but one doesn't but i don't know how exactly that will affect IQ.

    What i wanted to know was how much a difference would the image quality be affected, the colours and the composition etc. And i thought the higher the megapixels, the better the image quality? Correct me if i'm wrong, and if you're offended by me asking noob questions, my apologies.

    ZerocoolAstra: You are not obliged to reply to this post. If you feel annoyed by the questions asked by noobs, why bother replying and show the ugly side of yourself? Obviously if someone asks a question, homework is already done (googling etc) but still don't understand the difference because we don't have first hand practical hands on. Hope you understand. I'm asking because i want to upgrade from a 50D to a 5D and i did my homework, googled, wikied, read reviews and everything i could do, but i just needed advice from people who has experience in using the camera to give their feedback.

    johngiam: Thanks for the explanation. But since the megapixels on 50D is higher, why will the 5D's file still be bigger?

    chalib: Thank you!

  8. #8
    Member Cartman2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    1,732

    Default Re: 5D or 50D?

    Quote Originally Posted by johngiam View Post
    lol i think moderators gotta have a let's be less cynical campaign one day lol.

    anyway, i am a nikon user and putting a FF and crop sensor side by side, I had read up FF colors are better, much better noise control, sharper(kenrockwell has sample photos between a d700 and apc sensor camera, it shows a lot of difference on sharpness). I think one of the reason is due to megapixels density.

    wen you are buying a full frame, you gotta think about the cost in future, ff lens are heavier and more expensive (definitely for canon L lens), a FFbody is also much bigger and heavy. Of course, not forgetting the file size can be much larger..

    megapixels wise... it only affects the size of prints...
    A 50D weighs roughly as much as a 5D.

    You don't need to buy an L lens for use on a FF body.

    The 50D has bigger file sizes than the 5D simply because of the higher resolution.

    ZeroCoolAstra has a point. Do you need a crop or full-frame sensor?
    Last edited by Cartman2000; 18th September 2009 at 01:22 PM.

  9. #9

    Default Re: 5D or 50D?

    Quote Originally Posted by theshooter View Post
    Which is better?

    Of course 5D is a full frame and 50D is not so that one is a no brainer.

    But other than that? Most of the specs i see for 50D is newer and better than 5D. Can someone enlighten me?
    for my style and the lens i already have, i will get the 5D... my lens are mainly EF, and my style is any o how shoot then crop... so 5D...
    life is but a dream...

  10. #10

    Default Re: 5D or 50D?

    Quote Originally Posted by johngiam View Post
    lol i think moderators gotta have a let's be less cynical campaign one day lol.

    anyway, i am a nikon user and putting a FF and crop sensor side by side, I had read up FF colors are better, much better noise control, sharper(kenrockwell has sample photos between a d700 and apc sensor camera, it shows a lot of difference on sharpness). I think one of the reason is due to megapixels density.

    wen you are buying a full frame, you gotta think about the cost in future, ff lens are heavier and more expensive (definitely for canon L lens), a FFbody is also much bigger and heavy. Of course, not forgetting the file size can be much larger..

    megapixels wise... it only affects the size of prints...
    monkey see, monkey do... just got to get use to it... btw, i am a canon user who love nikon more...
    life is but a dream...

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    306

    Default Re: 5D or 50D?

    thanks for all the kind replies. actually a crop or full frame sensor will make no difference to me, but IQ does. i shoot more of events, street and landscapes, and sometimes weddings.

    Any idea which will benefit me more?

    Again, i would like to thank all the kind and helpful responses in advance.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Lomographer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Paterson Road
    Posts
    2,047

    Default Re: 5D or 50D?

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    I agree with you . Newbies getting tough treatment nowadays.
    But there seem to be more and more lazy newbies asking questions that are often asked repeatedly.
    Yes it's true we SHOULD point them in the right direction, like look "here" for the relevant info... but to do that repeatedly...? hmmm, this will get tiring after a while. Eventually those with the knowledge might just ignore the newbies section altogether (what's the point in replying?), then...
    haha but they are new... let's cut them some slack, we were all once new.

    those who dont wanna reply can stay out, but there will still be some helpful souls to help i guess... but newbies should really use the search button!

    and to TS, the 5D you mentioned, did you mean the 5DMK1 or the 5DMK2?
    Pentax K-x

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    306

    Default Re: 5D or 50D?

    Hi Lomo, thanks for replying. I'm referring to MK1..

  14. #14

    Default Re: 5D or 50D?

    if you can put 5d and 50d together for a comparison den i suggest u take 50D
    even if you get a 5D you wun get to know what is it good for cuz u have never been on a cropped factor

  15. #15

    Default Re: 5D or 50D?

    Quote Originally Posted by theshooter View Post
    thanks for all the kind replies. actually a crop or full frame sensor will make no difference to me, but IQ does. i shoot more of events, street and landscapes, and sometimes weddings.

    Any idea which will benefit me more?

    Again, i would like to thank all the kind and helpful responses in advance.
    I will take 5D anytime

    50D if you are more to sport and birding

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    306

    Default Re: 5D or 50D?

    Quote Originally Posted by tacopachi85 View Post
    if you can put 5d and 50d together for a comparison den i suggest u take 50D
    even if you get a 5D you wun get to know what is it good for cuz u have never been on a cropped factor
    Care to elaborate what you mean by "you have never been on a cropped factor"?

    Chalib: Thank you

  17. #17

    Default Re: 5D or 50D?

    Quote Originally Posted by theshooter View Post
    Care to elaborate what you mean by "you have never been on a cropped factor"?

    Chalib: Thank you
    seeing that you placed 5d and 50d together for comparison, im assuming u have never used a camera with smaller sensor size

    therefore if ur 1st camera is a fullframe you prob wun feel its any better than 50d cuz it lacks all the newer features

  18. #18
    Senior Member dennisc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Freezing Upp Thomson/Mandai!
    Posts
    2,008

    Default Re: 5D or 50D?

    Used both models. 50D is pretty noisy @ nightshots. For old times sake and that special pics (in looks) I'd go for 5D

  19. #19
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: 5D or 50D?

    Quote Originally Posted by theshooter
    I'm sorry guys. I already googled, read the reviews from dp, made comparisons, but those are just paper statistics. Most of which are very technical, like one uses Digic IV processor but one doesn't but i don't know how exactly that will affect IQ.

    What i wanted to know was how much a difference would the image quality be affected, the colours and the composition etc. And i thought the higher the megapixels, the better the image quality? Correct me if i'm wrong, and if you're offended by me asking noob questions, my apologies.

    ZerocoolAstra: You are not obliged to reply to this post. If you feel annoyed by the questions asked by noobs, why bother replying and show the ugly side of yourself? Obviously if someone asks a question, homework is already done (googling etc) but still don't understand the difference because we don't have first hand practical hands on. Hope you understand. I'm asking because i want to upgrade from a 50D to a 5D and i did my homework, googled, wikied, read reviews and everything i could do, but i just needed advice from people who has experience in using the camera to give their feedback.

    johngiam: Thanks for the explanation. But since the megapixels on 50D is higher, why will the 5D's file still be bigger?

    chalib: Thank you!
    I don't have an ugly side... i'm very handsome!!! ~cough cough~
    Ok it seems like you took offence to my post. But don't need to say things like 'ugly side' etc... i'm not trying to start a fight with you. Refer back to my first post, particularly the part highlighted in bold.

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra
    then buy the 50D lor, since it is newer and better. If you don't know the difference, you won't appreciate it.

    you gotta ask more specific questions than "pls enlighten me". As much as we'd like to help, you need to help us help you. We're not google or wikipedia.
    You're thanking all those people who give you very straight answers like "go for the 5D". But how can someone truly recommend you a camera without considering all the factors, which include price, size, weight, probable usage, etc...? You've not listed anything down.
    And you say you've been searching around google, wikipedia etc... and yet you think that more megapixels is better... just a simple Google search would have turned up some answers HERE
    Exploring! :)

  20. #20
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: 5D or 50D?

    Quote Originally Posted by theshooter
    Care to elaborate what you mean by "you have never been on a cropped factor"?

    Chalib: Thank you

    People assume you've not owned a 50D before, let alone a DSLR... Why? Because you've not mentioned it in your first post.

    Quote Originally Posted by tacopachi85
    seeing that you placed 5d and 50d together for comparison, im assuming u have never used a camera with smaller sensor size

    therefore if ur 1st camera is a fullframe you prob wun feel its any better than 50d cuz it lacks all the newer features
    Exploring! :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •