Thread: Need some advise

Default Need some advise

Hi everyone, not sure if this is the correct place to post this.

I'm planning to try taking some macro photos but i'm not sure which one to get:

Raynox CM-2000A
    Raynox DCR-250
    Marumi Macro Close up filter

i'm using D90 with 18-105mm kit lens. Will be using this lens for the time being as i also have plans to get a 50mm F1.4 lens. Can anybody advise me which one is better? Thank you in advance

Default Re: Need some advise

Quote Originally Posted by horchew View Post

Raynox CM-2000A
    Raynox DCR-250

i'm using D90 with 18-105mm kit lens. Will be using this lens for the time being as i also have plans to get a 50mm F1.4 lens. Can anybody advise me which one is better? Thank you in advance
    Nothing beats a true macro lens but if you don't have the budget for it now, then perhaps the Raynox. Not heard of the Marumi so i guess it's better not be the guinea pig.

CM2000A is just DCR250 + DCR150. DCR150 won't give you much magnifcation. Just get the DCR250.

DCR250 on your 18-105 will probably get you only 0.84X.

Quote Originally Posted by horchew View Post

Raynox CM-2000A
    Raynox DCR-250

If you are new it takes awhile to master both the Raynox. Hmm.. for Marumi you will be very surprise, it can beat the **** out of many close up filters hehehe...

Quote Originally Posted by orionmystery View Post
    "Nothing beats a true macro lens"

Not true... sorry to say that, if you know how to goes around it, many tens of macro shooters
    in ClubSnap had seen and witness before.... Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevewhy View Post
    Not true... sorry to say that, if you know how to goes around it, many tens of macro shooters
    in ClubSnap had seen and witness before.... Cheers.

I stand by what i have seen and believe. Of course a P&S with DCR(if that's what you're referring to) can give you HUGE print magnification but at the expense of poorer Signal to Noise ratio. It's no different from shooting at 1X and do a big crop to get to the print magnification.

Non macro lens esp long tele with DCR250 works well too, but the IQ is no where as good as a real macro lens. I am sure if you view the images at 100% you can see the difference.
    Last edited by orionmystery; 19th September 2009 at 12:11 AM.