Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: close up filter

Default Re: close up filter

Quote Originally Posted by .Hack View Post
    So you using your 50 f1.2 with 2 closeup filters together?
    Btw, what is your focusing distance after stacking the 2 filters?
    Yeah, have since sold the closeup filters and got the Sigma 70-300 to double as my tele lens and having 1:2 macro.

Honestly i dunno what's the focusing distance but definitely at minimum. The 50mm itself is already 0.45m for MFD so this has to be less than that.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

Im decided to get the Raynox DCR 250 (or maybe the package of 250 + 150)

my current lens setup:

18-70mm f3.5-5.6
    28-80mm f3.5-5.6
    50mm f1.8
    70-210mm f4
    75-300mm f4.5-5.6

a) Is there any difference between using different lenses fixed with the raynox for macroing?

b) Recommanded to use 50mm or the 210mm for taking macros on insects? Im thinking 210mm for the distance, but worried about the lost in sharpness and quality.

c) Do u guys use flash for macroing? Or just rely on sunlight? I was reading up on macro photography, and seems like alot of ppl are using home made diffusers (looks...ugly LOL), any specific material to use? Or can I just use a white paper?

Like this picture

d) Lastly, since using filters/lenses on top of each other will result in loss of light and colours, do you guys increase the colour saturation settings on ur camera prior to taking macro shots?

Appreciate any advices. Thanks alot!

Thanks~
    Last edited by torak; 18th September 2009 at 01:05 AM.

Do take note that your working distance will be around 5cm only if you stack the DCR250 and DCR150 together. For me, it's too close for insects macro, still can be done.

my current lens setup:

18-70mm f3.5-5.6
    28-80mm f3.5-5.6
    50mm f1.8
    70-210mm f4
    75-300mm f4.5-5.6

a) Is there any difference between using different lenses fixed with the raynox for macroing?
    You can go to McGill website for lens compatibility. Some lens will cause vignetting.

b) Recommanded to use 50mm or the 210mm for taking macros on insects? Im thinking 210mm for the distance, but worried about the lost in sharpness and quality.
    I'm using with the 50mm, so far pretty satisfied with the results.

c) Do u guys use flash for macroing? Or just rely on sunlight? I was reading up on macro photography, and seems like alot of ppl are using home made diffusers (looks...ugly LOL), any specific material to use? Or can I just use a white paper?
    I using the in-built flash with pop out diffuser, pretty good.

d) Lastly, since using filters/lenses on top of each other will result in loss of light and colours, do you guys increase the colour saturation settings on ur camera prior to taking macro shots?
    Just shoot as usual. Colors still looks okie.

You can use the Raynox on your 70mm from your kit lens or your 50mm prime lens bro. Anything below these will give you vignetting due to the thread size.

Build in flash is ok. There is a very nice guy doing a MO for home-made diffuser some time back in the other forum, not sure if it's still on.
    Last edited by Galdor; 18th September 2009 at 08:51 AM.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

For those interested in the Raynox, this is a FAQs page.

http://www.mcgill.com.sg/McGill%20Macro%20FAQs.html

Quote Originally Posted by torak View Post

my current lens setup:

18-70mm f3.5-5.6
    28-80mm f3.5-5.6
    50mm f1.8
    70-210mm f4
    75-300mm f4.5-5.6

Yes. The focal length of your lens and the diopter strength of the close-up lens affects the magnification you get. To calculate magnification from diopter strength,

Magnification = (diopter strength x lens focal length) / 1000

So, for example you put the Raynox 250 (+8 diopter) on the 50mm lens,

Magnification = (8 x 50) / 1000 = 0.4x, or 1:2.5 life-size ratio (smaller then life size).

If you now use the Raynox 250 on the 200mm lens,

Magnification = (8 x 200) / 1000 = 1.6x, or 1:0.625 life-size ratio (larger then life size).

I would use a weaker diopter close-up lens with a long focal length zoom lens. Weaker diopter will give you more working distance:

Working distance = 1000mm / diopter strength, (measured from the "optical center" of your lens)

So with the Raynox 250, the working distance = 1000 / 8 = 125mm, whereas with the Raynox 150 (4.8 diopter) the working distance becomes longer at 1000 / 4.8 = 208.3mm.

Couple with a long focal length zoom lens will let you adjust the magnification you want.

So its best tat I couple a dcr150 to my 210mm and the dcr250 to my 50mm. Thx for the comments.

I'll try taking some pics this weekend.

Do u guys increase exposure to compensate the loss of light due to using diffusers on the flash? Just wondering...

Do u guys increase exposure to compensate the loss of light due to using diffusers on the flash? Just wondering...
    No you don't need to do that. In this case the diffused flash is acting as a fill flash, and with the diffuser on the range is shorten, but there is no need to compensate as long as you're still within the flash range.

Just to share a similar thread that's ongoing at the Nikon sub-forum.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=575129

Cheers!
    incywincyspider climbup the waterspout...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12