Thread: Remove Fungi in lens

Default Remove Fungi in lens

Anyone knows of a good place to remove fungi in lens. I have a 2 lenses, one canon 28-80 and one vivitar 100-300 that were left unused for long time and lately discovered with fungi.

1. I don't think I am able to clean it myself as the fungi are grown inside the lens.

2. Need to know if it is worthwhile to send for cleaning, and still no guarantee that the lens can be cleaned totally.

3. Roughly how much will it cost me for lenses mentioned above?

Thanks.

Deregistered

it may be a more financially and better long term solution to instead get a 2nd hand 28-80 lens instead. i'm not sure how much TCW charges for cleaning, but canon sg charges about 60 to 80 dollars for servicing non-L lenses.

in case you're buying a 2nd hand lens... make sure there isn't any sign of previous fungus growth, otherwise it's back to square one...

Default Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by sehsuan
    it may be a more financially and better long term solution to instead get a 2nd hand 28-80 lens instead. i'm not sure how much TCW charges for cleaning, but canon sg charges about 60 to 80 dollars for servicing non-L lenses.

in case you're buying a 2nd hand lens... make sure there isn't any sign of previous fungus growth, otherwise it's back to square one...

So I guess it's not worth while for lens like Canon 28-80 or vivitar 100-300.

Deregistered

not necessarily. let TCW take a look and quote you a fee first, see if it's worthwhile compared to getting a similiar lens from the other resale shops in the building.

Quote Originally Posted by sehsuan
    not necessarily. let TCW take a look and quote you a fee first, see if it's worthwhile compared to getting a similiar lens from the other resale shops in the building.
    Note that even if it can be cleaned, your lens may not be back to its old self. Fungus often eat INTO the lens coating, and to remove it, the coating MUST BE REMOVED. Since shops like TCW has no means to recoat your lens, your nice multicoated elements in your lens becomes uncoated. The only solution is to replace the entire element, which can get expensive. I had an element of my 80-200/2.8L replaced at a cost of $400, ouch ! Damn !

If the lens is cheap in the first place, just buy another one.

Default Thanks for the advices.

Quote Originally Posted by chriszzz
    Note that even if it can be cleaned, your lens may not be back to its old self. Fungus often eat INTO the lens coating, and to remove it, the coating MUST BE REMOVED. Since shops like TCW has no means to recoat your lens, your nice multicoated elements in your lens becomes uncoated. The only solution is to replace the entire element, which can get expensive. I had an element of my 80-200/2.8L replaced at a cost of $400, ouch ! Damn !

If the lens is cheap in the first place, just buy another one.

Thanks Sehsuan and Chriszzz for your advices. I guess pretty so as mine lenses are not expensive that make it worthless to send for service. I will use until the lenses are totally "dead".