Thread: KL - for food and shopping

Default KL - for food and shopping

This is a familar place for many of us. So I hope everyone can share where their favorite food haunts, shopping venues are?

If others know good places to buy fashion, electronics and also list interesting spots for street photography or the like, please share too!
    Nikon D750; FM2; FG; 55mm Micro Nikkor; 28-300 VR; 70-200 VR; Nikon V1 + 10-30mm

Default Re: KL - for food and shopping

One of my must visits is the char siew at Meng Kee, Tengkat Tong Shin.
    Go early (before 12pm if possible) and indulge in disgustingly good (which also means it's very unhealthy heh) char siew - crispy outside, tender and juicy inside
    The old shophouse is dominated by only one stall in front with hanging chickens and strips of char siew
    The servers always trying to illicit you to order a mix of white steamed chicken and char siew.
    Politely decline and go for the char siew only. Chicken ain't their forte, trust me. Focus Don't waste stomach space.
    A plate of veggies will complete your meal: fragrant shallot oil and generous dollops of oyster sauce.

As a bonus tip, you may also choose to tapao one entire strip of char siew. But tell them not to cut it up! Or else the meat will be dry when exposed.
    Just wrap and bring home. A short stint in the oven and it's almost back to original state.

*Further down is Sao Nam, nice restaurant-class Vietnamese food. At the turn there's also Ngau Kee for beef noodles. Fallbacks if it's not open or sold out.

Edit: to clarify, Tengkat Tong Shin is behind the famous Jalan Alor, which also has other eateries and durian stalls.
    Roughly, Berjaya Times Square is on Jalan Imbi. Cross the road, walk past Hotel Melia and take a left. Jalan Bukit Bintang is parallel to Jalan Imbi, then Jalan Alor and finally Tengkat Tong Shin. Google Maps for a better description
    Last edited by Zichar; 18th September 2009 at 10:46 PM. Reason: Added picture, ahem
    -------------------------------
    Endure. In enduring grow strong.

there this great hor fun store behind JW marriotts in KL.

gosh i really havent been there in a long time, can't rmb but it's a coffee-shop.

great place to eat, if anybody knows it pls share the address here!
    Pentax K-x

Thanks friends, all very useful!

Here is what I got from a friend:

Sek Yuen Restaurant (KL)

I've tried the Ba Bao Ya (which has to be booked in advanced - usually meant for 4-6 people but I usually eat the whole duck with my gf), Roasted Chicken Skin with Fishcake (also needs to be pre-orded), Beancurd Tofu Vegetables, Horfun and Mee Sua mixed together (this is some traditional Hakka dish, the name of which eludes me), Char Siew Noodles (the Char Siew is really nice so you may wanna order extra portion) which also comes with homemade fishcake. You can just google "Sek Yuen KL" and read the reviews. Have included a webpage with the contact details. This place is a must for me to go have my fix of duck whenever I'm in KL

http://food-4-thot.blogspot.com/2006...estaurant.html
    Nikon D750; FM2; FG; 55mm Micro Nikkor; 28-300 VR; 70-200 VR; Nikon V1 + 10-30mm

Default KL noodles

This place is in Chinatown Petaling St.
    It has a small shop front with a larger multiple story eating area close by.

I think online promotions can save you money and grow your existing customer base. Even i have tried this restaurant. It's best in food and we have to reserve in advance.
    Last edited by Gustavo H; 16th February 2010 at 06:27 PM.

Try Lot 10 for a new food court with the best stalls of food under 1 roof:

Herbal Bak Kut Teh, Kim Lian Kee KL noodles etc...