Thread: Hi to all. Need advise on first DSLR

Default Hi to all. Need advise on first DSLR

Hi to all. Just join as I am looking for my first DSLR

Am considering following options and hope Sifu here can advise
    Canon EOS 500D
    Nikon D5000
    Sony A380

All three within my budget. But am thinking which one should get if considering about the cost of accessories to start on my new fond hobby

Main point for me to get DSLR is to take those moment of my little girl as she grow up (now 14 mths old). My digital cam cannot cope with her fast actions
    So well taking pictures of her, I like landscape as well as close up shoots.

Hope any mentors here can give me guide on the purchase

Default Re: Hi to all. Need advise on first DSLR

Hello...welcome.

Great that you have shortlisted the cameras that you're interested in. They are all very good and capable cameras. I would suggest that you go to a shop to try the models out and see which is more comfortable to you. Do play around with the settings and see which is more user friendly to you. Last but not least, do not be influenced by the sales people as very often they will just recommend something which gives them a bigger commision. Listen to your heart. Hope you can get your cam soon.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

A definite advantage of the D5000 and the A380 is the swiveling screen. This allows you to get a clear idea of what the picture will look like when you take it in LiveView, without covering your face with it (scaring your kid) or looking a the screen at an odd angle (500D).

Then between the 2, the A380 is the one with full-speed autofocus in live view mode. So for taking pictures of your young kid (including ground-level shots) I think the A380 is your best bet.
    Alpha

get the a330 instead of a380, the difference is just a higher megapixel. Save money

Nikon's swiveling LCD is better than Sony's tiliting LCD.

But Sony has build in Image Stabiliser (which can compensate up to 2.5-3.5 f stops) which Nikon and Canon dont have. Very useful when u are taking photos in low light situations or using high zoom lenses.

So u decide which is more important to you
    Last edited by torak; 16th September 2009 at 05:56 PM.

Thanks for all the Mentor advice. Will go on to try the 3 options I selected.

But out of the 3, only Nikon and Canon have movie function rite?

Quote Originally Posted by mediacraze View Post

Correct. But be aware that Autofocus in DSLR movie mode is extremely slow to "just doesn't work". So it will be hard to keep track of a moving kid, a simple compact cam will do better.
    Last edited by Rashkae; 17th September 2009 at 10:04 AM.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by mediacraze View Post

If video is a must for you, then I would suggest that you get a compact PnS cam or a proper video cam instead.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony