Thread: Anyone using dry cabinet yet lenses and camera still kena fungus?

Default Anyone using dry cabinet yet lenses and camera still kena fungus?

Anyone? If that's the case then y buy?
    5DMk2

Default Re: Anyone using dry cabinet yet lenses and camera still kena fungus?

I think, either the dry cabinet is faulty or it was not tuned correctly. Otherwise, for a working dry cabinet, such situation is not possible.

did you get fungus on your lens even after using a dry cabinet? or is this just a hypothetical question?

shouldnt happen unless the cabinet is not set up properly, or maybe your hygrometer is spoilt and showing low humidity when it is actually high
    A7R3|V12|V15|FE28|MS17|MS35|MS50|50lux|50C|50Artis an|FD85L|FE85|90 cron|
    Σ24|35L|Σ50|135L|70-200G2

it happened, but I think dry carbinet only reduce the chance, but not 100% fungus proof
    Sony Alpha 700 hobbyist

Quote Originally Posted by ricleo View Post
    did you get fungus on your lens even after using a dry cabinet? or is this just a hypothetical question?

shouldnt happen unless the cabinet is not set up properly, or maybe your hygrometer is spoilt and showing low humidity when it is actually high
    Happened to me for this reason. Cabinet too old and meter not accurate.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by An drew View Post
    Happened to me for this reason. Cabinet too old and meter not accurate.
    That is why it is always advisable to have another RH meter inside the cabinate.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    That is why it is always advisable to have another RH meter inside the cabinate.
    yup that's why i just got one extra hygrometer today

What about those who didnt use dry cabinet? Anyone? did fungus grew?
    5DMk2

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Lam CK View Post
    huh... duh

wah today you just bought the bag from me and your lens got fungus
    D800 | D700|16mm f2.8D|35 f1.4G|50 f1.8G|60mm F2.8D|85mm f1.4G|16-35 f4G|70-200 f2.8 VR2| SB900

I think it's not a matter of whether it will grow fungus but when. Sooner or later it will. So play safe. A dry cabinet costs less than a lens or camera and can also be used for other things like video tapes which are prone to fungus.

Quote Originally Posted by spazzer View Post
    wah today you just bought the bag from me and your lens got fungus
    haha...no la. i was just asking..i just bought mine not long ago.
    5DMk2

haha...no la. i was just asking..i just bought mine not long ago.
    i see..
    D800 | D700|16mm f2.8D|35 f1.4G|50 f1.8G|60mm F2.8D|85mm f1.4G|16-35 f4G|70-200 f2.8 VR2| SB900

Quote Originally Posted by spazzer View Post
    i see..
    will putting uv lights in dry cabinet kill of the fungis

Quote Originally Posted by kiwitan View Post
    don't think so. Fungi spread via spores, which are commonly wind-borne. Unless your camera is fully airtight and you change lens in a sterile (read: lab-surgical level) environment, you're bound to have spores landing in your equipment.

The whole idea of a "dry box" is as said... to keep your stuff dry. With reduced humidity, organic life like fungi will have a harder time growing, and moisture won't creep into your circuitry as fast.

Tropical countries (singapore for example) commonly has very high %rh (or relative humidity), and when it's raining, can easily hit 100%. It's important to use the basic cleaning kit and blow off dirt (visible and non visible) as most spores will be blown off too. This measure coupled with a dry storage environment will prolong your fungi-free days =)
    better to be Socrates dissatisfied than a fool satisfied -J.S. Mill
    1000D. My works

One more thing... having a very low %rh has its drawbacks too... as posted by others when I asked on an earlier thread, having too low and %rh for an extended period of time will cause the rubber (particularly seals) to dry up and crack.

Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    For humidity settings, what you have is a lil too low, may dry up the rubber if you leave it inside for long periods of time.
    Cheers, hope this helps.
    better to be Socrates dissatisfied than a fool satisfied -J.S. Mill
    1000D. My works

Thats why i have 2 hygrometer in the dry cabinet.. one digital one analoge.. To prevent fungus occasionally takes out yr lenses and clean and zoom in and out.. Best way is to shoot often outdoor..

Flash a flash gun on the lenses if u see fungus started to glow and immediatly sent for cleaning.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tunge View Post
    yup that's why i just got one extra hygrometer today
    Yes, good advice.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwitan View Post
    UV is known to kill off fungi but its effectiveness is not sure as glass itself can block some uv rays. So while it is good to use and sun your equipment regularly you probably would still need a dry cabinet.

http://forum.mflenses.com/diy-ultima...ler-t8886.html

http://photo.net/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00TU1w

Now more kiasu and I am also using fungicides (Hakuba Anti-Fungus) which perfectpixels used to carry. Something like the this Fuji one. http://www.photoethnography.com/blog...g_cameras.html
    http://www.ehow.com/how-does_5188035...-bacteria.html