Default Re: Dry Cabinet

Quote Originally Posted by tunge View Post
    i think he is asking where u keep ur lenses b4 u got the dry cabinet

Yeah..thats what i meant.
    5DMk2

i think he is asking where u keep ur lenses b4 u got the dry cabinet
    I kept it in my cupboard together with my books and other stuff.

not even kept in air-tight container with silica gel?
    5DMk2

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Lam CK View Post
    not even kept in air-tight container with silica gel?
    No dunno anything about fungus until it started growing. Then too late.

dry box is still safe right...?? coz dry cabinet is really expensive to me...

Quote Originally Posted by KingOfNoobs View Post
    Dry box cannot control Relative Humidity (RH) as well as dry cabinet. Some say too low RH will cause the plastic/rubber to become brittle and the lubricants to dry up. Too high RH, fungus.

i bought my canon 50D about 3 weeks back. After paying the shop $2500 in cold hard cash, my heart ached.

I decided that I will save money and follow the "locknlock" method. So I drove to buy a 9L Lock N Lock and a bottle of blue silica gel.

I came home and told my mum that I am trying to save money. She said I was stupid and why did I not buy a $120 dry cabinet instead.

Now, 3 weeks later, I regret everyday when I see the Lock N Lock box. I could have used the money to buy a dry cabinet (about 20% of the price).

Just go and buy the dry cabinet, no need to worry about fungus (not that mine is growing any) but it is so convenient.

I am buying on on 20 October. Thats when pay day comes.
    Current Setup
    Canon 50D | BG-E2 Grip | EF-S 18-200mm f3.5-5.6 IS | EF 50mm f1.8 II

yes, buy a dry box now and get dry cabinet later will spend even more money in the end.

the longer you drag... more money and effort are wasted.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by KingOfNoobs View Post
    really expensive or just unwilling to spend the money...

a dry cabinet is certainly not "really expensive" considering u r spending in the thousands for ur camera equipment, it's but a fraction of the cost...

but then alot of people are asking the qns "is it a MUST to use dry cabinet" the answer is of course "NO" but it's highly recommended, if it's a "MUST" then certainly all DSLR will be bundled with a dry cabinet liao... then they ask but dry box good enought? answer is "YES" but then u must monitor regularly n swap out the silica beads, if u don't do it n let RH rise above 55% then it's useless n couterproductive, cos u would be incubating ur eqipment in a nice constant RH n temp for the fungus to flourish

end of the day they just wanna save some money n hope to hear some form of positive feedback n encouragment that it's ok, but come on end of the day the choice is really up to u, no right or wrong one.

[QUOTE=tunge;5484618]really expensive or just unwilling to spend the money...

i think the dry cabinet does give a piece of mind when comes to storage of cam, lens and accessories. Servicing of lens due to fungus growth is time consuming and heart rendering. Power consumption of dry cab is abt 5-10 watts of electricity will comes to abt 1-2 dollars/mth. small price to pay in my mind. besides i can put other things in it ie video tapes of yester years ie wedding birthday etc.

my 2 cents

hopes this helps

it is not a MUST to get dry cabinet.......

IF you can find a very economy way, cost effective way, hassle free way, fool proof way, long term solution to keep fungus away from you camera lenses, than you don't need to get one,

else just do what other already suggested.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

recommended RH to store camera n lenses is 40-50% according to many articles and books. i follow the recommendations.

so yah there's nothing to convince anyone whether to store our equipment in dry cabinet of in the open. if u think it's a waste of money and adds to global warming then by all means. it's all about choices and preference

So is the recommended or ideal RH to store the camera n lens is 40-50%?? Anyone can clarify this??

Quote Originally Posted by cumzball View Post
    So is the recommended or ideal RH to store the camera n lens is 40-50%?? Anyone can clarify this??
    Your camera manual can clarify this. Don't spend to much worries about 40% vs. 50% .. give your camera a good workout in fresh air.
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Your camera manual can clarify this. Don't spend to much worries about 40% vs. 50% .. give your camera a good workout in fresh air.
    Alrite Thanks!!! found it in the manual... have not reach that section yet.. kekeke...
    storage below 60% RH.

But what is the lowest RH i should keep? coz i read tat have a too low RH will cause damage to some camera parts (Drying up).

What can i store inside Dry Cabinet?

40%RH -55%RH
    Still cameras, video cameras, lens, microscopes, telescopes, negatives, tapes, videos,
    slides, microfilms;
    Various optic products, CD, DVD,VCD, hi-fi stereos, computer products, books, ancient
    paintings, coins, stamps, money, art works.

30%RH-40%RH
    Precise metal materials, electronics, pottery and porcelains, semiconductors, PC boards;
    various precise instruments, metallic musical instruments, clothes, leather, gold and
    silver; various treasure collections.

Under 30%RH
    Herbal medicines, tea leaves, seeds, spices, pollen, medicinal materials, chemical raw
    materials.

http://www.luckybrotherstrading.com/faq.html

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12