Thread: Cross screen fil ters

Default Cross screen fil ters

I jus got an assignment by my friends to shoot some crystals that he had bought. those coloured stones cut like diamond (i know nuts abt stones)
    he wants those sparkles on stones(like those in magazines), so i was thinking of using those star filers to shoot with those strong spot lights. Will i attain that desired effect? I tried stopping down the aperature, but was quite insignificant.
    If i am to get a star filter which type should i get? a star 4, 6, 8, 16 or other types?

dun know about you, but to me the more points the more tacklier?

Quote Originally Posted by sweat100
    I jus got an assignment by my friends to shoot some crystals that he had bought. those coloured stones cut like diamond (i know nuts abt stones)
    he wants those sparkles on stones(like those in magazines), so i was thinking of using those star filers to shoot with those strong spot lights. Will i attain that desired effect? I tried stopping down the aperature, but was quite insignificant.
    If i am to get a star filter which type should i get? a star 4, 6, 8, 16 or other types?
    You need a standard cross screen (4 point) but be aware that you'll get some softening of the image when using the focus. More than 4 point and it will look tacky and cheap.

Lighting angles are critical for crystals and gem photography so be prepared to spend a lot of time getting the lighting correct.

Ian
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!