Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MIT students take pictures in Space using USD$150 rig

Default Re: MIT students take pictures in Space using USD$150 rig

Quote Originally Posted by eyes View Post
    I think if the folks decide to shoot my 200 buck cam off the air, it'll be one of those most ironical looping joke of the year.

I pay tax (GST and others) when buying the cam. I fly a ballon. The folks whose salaries are paid partly by my tax flys a chooper or plane to shoot it down with rounds paid by my tax again. I end up with no point and shoot camera. Then I go buy a new cam, inculdes GST tax again.

Anyway, how can I legally let go a ballon?
    Launch it on National Day. I think they do release balloons for celebration.
    I AM BORNFIRE!
    My Flickr/TFCD Service

vince123123
    Guests

Can you let us know which law says that it is illegal to launch things into the sky? I'm curious to read it.

After all, we have people launching kites, RC planes and runaway balloons and I haven't heard of anyone being convicted yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Canonised View Post
    These can only happen in the western countries. In Singapore, everything you want to experiment is illegal and so our kids are told not to try anything even if they have some bright ideas to experiment. So actually we cant blame our kids for being only exam-smart!
    BTW, it is illegal to launch anything into the Singapore sky ....

The last time I tried flying my cam on a RC chopper and someone called the police. I got warned not to fly cameras around (maybe they thought I'm into some fetish peeping Tom projects). I felt bullied though.
    Tum podem extulit horridulum...日出東方﹐唯我不敗。

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    Can you let us know which law says that it is illegal to launch things into the sky? I'm curious to read it.

After all, we have people launching kites, RC planes and runaway balloons and I haven't heard of anyone being convicted yet.
    bro, in sg, as long as the men in white, blue, black say it's illegal... it is illegal ... no need to read too much law unless it is your occupation.

i just received a summon of $130 for driving into a part time bus lane ... and i was very sure that after i turned left at the junction, the bus lane was right in front, and i was giving way to some cars before i took
    to the right lane. talk to them about law? ... no point la, just send a cheque within 7 day and forget about the whole matter
    always the Light, .... always.

haha, standby 1 vehicle to chiong into Malaysia, and another speedboat chiong sea to recover.

bro, in sg, as long as the men in white, blue, black say it's illegal... it is illegal ... no need to read too much law unless it is your occupation.

i just received a summon of $130 for driving into a part time bus lane ... and i was very sure that after i turned left at the junction, the bus lane was right in front, and i was giving way to some cars before i took
    to the right lane. talk to them about law? ... no point la, just send a cheque within 7 day and forget about the whole matter
    I think he is a lawyer by profession leh. Everytime I kanna bully I just didn't carry a legal namecard to call. I think I should keep a few namecards in my pocket for this project and future ones.

Anyway, I heard people kanna bus lane even with just the tires rolling on the yellow lines. Pity them, how to say they didn't right?

vince123123
    Guests

Excuse me, they still need to rely on written law to prosecute someone. A charge in court needs to refer to a piece of legislation, not someone' say so.

Hence, either you have been told that it is illegal (in which case pleas tell me hwo the "men in white,blueblack" told you so I can check it out, or you read it somewhere (in which case let me know where).

Otherwise it is now just "Canonised saying it is illegal" and the readers here can then decide how much weight to allocate to it.

As for your bus lane incident, I can't really tell from your description what happened, but anyway in most cases you can ask to view the pictures if you are really damn **** sure you are not in the wrong. I've heard cases where poeple actually pay to see the pictures, and end up not paying any fine because the pictures show the wrong car. If you choose to forget about it, that is your choice too

OK bro ... here is the permit you need to release "toy balloons" in Singapore. Please note: The size of balloons released should not exceed 30 centimetres in any linear
    dimension. Any bigger, you break the LAW!
    Don sey i din won u hor .... singapore boleh

http://www.caas.gov.sg/caasWeb/expor...lease_2009.pdf

Excuse me, they still need to rely on written law to prosecute someone. A charge in court needs to refer to a piece of legislation, not someone' say so.

Hence, either you have been told that it is illegal (in which case pleas tell me hwo the "men in white,blueblack" told you so I can check it out, or you read it somewhere (in which case let me know where).

Otherwise it is now just "Canonised saying it is illegal" and the readers here can then decide how much weight to allocate to it.

As for your bus lane incident, I can't really tell from your description what happened, but anyway in most cases you can ask to view the pictures if you are really damn **** sure you are not in the wrong. I've heard cases where poeple actually pay to see the pictures, and end up not paying any fine because the pictures show the wrong car. If you choose to forget about it, that is your choice too

Wah piang..... 30 cm so small carry what... like that must use mini camera liao. 'No objects tied' to it, can I stick it on instead? Like that can argue the requirement never say cannot...

OK bro ... here is the permit you need to release "toy balloons" in Singapore. Please note: The size of balloons released should not exceed 30 centimetres in any linear

I AM BORNFIRE!
    My Flickr/TFCD Service

I have calculated I need 20 of these balloons to fly my rig with my compact digicam.

That is not breaking the law right?

did they mention they are the first to do that, cause i strongly believe i've seen a documentary on cable doing this experiment

vince123123
    Guests

How about if I'm not releasing a balloon but some other object into the sky? What's the permit then?

I think its easier if you find a law/guideline which talks about releasing things into the sky in general rather than on a permit basis.

Also, any bigger I may not be breaking the law, just falling outside this permit. There could be ANOTHER permit for bigger balloons. Hence don't be too quick to jump and conclude things are illegal without finding out first.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    I have calculated I need 20 of these balloons to fly my rig with my compact digicam.

That is not breaking the law right?

You're a genius!

I'll just stick the balloons together than stick the cam on it. Like that I won't break the law. Just hope I don't get too many sky only pictures when the entire ball rotates or I need to figure out how to stick the cam like a weight to hold on to the horizon view.

That's a good one, but then wouldn't the extension be considered tying something to the balloons?

How about if I'm not releasing a balloon but some other object into the sky? What's the permit then?
    if tiny soft rubber toy balloons you also need a permit, what do you expect from other object flying into the Singapore skyline?
    what permit you want? ..... you go straight to changi for lim kopi interview first and you still want big balloon permit? lol.... man, this IS singapore!

vince123123
    Guests

Meaning.. You don't know the answer

This IS INDEED Singapore

if tiny soft rubber toy balloons you also need a permit, what do you expect from other object flying into the Singapore skyline?
    what permit you want? ..... you go straight to changi for lim kopi interview first and you still want big balloon permit? lol.... man, this IS singapore!

Quote Originally Posted by phoakm View Post
    Er....how about flying kite ?
    PS : Kite flying is actually restricted in many areas...
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

vince123123
    Guests

From my quick glance of the Air Navigation Order, it seems that

64. —(1) Within Singapore —

(a) a captive balloon or kite shall not be flown at a height of more than 200 feet above the ground level or within 60 metres of any vessel, vehicle or structure;

(d) a kite shall not be flown within 5 kilometres of an aerodrome;
    Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    PS : Kite flying is actually restricted in many areas...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast