Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Anyone heard of Vitacon UV Filter ? : (

Default Re: Anyone heard of Vitacon UV Filter ? : (

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    That's why I get my lens cleaning liquid (Purasol) from Edmund Optics. I won't trust any others which uses solvent or any other detergent which may damage the multicoating.

http://www.edmundoptics.com/onlineca...productID=2520
    What's your opinion on Zeiss cleaning solutions?

Also, I've noticed that no matter what cleaning solution is used, some kind of deposit gets left behind. I usually take that off with breath and a clean section of chamois.
    Last edited by Dream Merchant; 6th October 2009 at 12:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    What's your opinion on Zeiss cleaning solutions?

Also, I've noticed that no matter what cleaning solution is used, some kind of deposit gets left behind. I usually take that off with breath and a clean section of chamois.
    Where to get that? If it's by Carl Zeiss, I would trust it. If it's just another brand trying to pull a fast one... Hmm... Just that I never knew Carl Zeiss makes cleaning solutions. Anything on their website?

Where to get that? If it's by Carl Zeiss, I would trust it. If it's just another brand trying to pull a fast one... Hmm... Just that I never knew Carl Zeiss makes cleaning solutions. Anything on their website?
    Carl Zeiss Official Online Shop
    https://photo-shop.zeiss.com/en/Categories/Zubehoer/Cleaning

I just tried the Zeiss fluid on an old MC filter smeared with grease. A few swipes with a non-branded spectacle MF cloth and all the visible grease was gone.

As suspected, a residue can be seen when I breathed on the filter, but that appears to go off easily with a few more breaths and further wipes with a clean section of the MF cloth. The same happens with all the other cleaning fluids I've tried.

When shaken, a bubbly head appears in the bottle, much like every other lens cleaning solution I've seen thus far.

Aside, I once remembered reading a Leitz article on what they described to be the ideal lens cleaning solution, and gave a chemical break-down. I can't find it at the moment.
    Last edited by Dream Merchant; 7th October 2009 at 07:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by .Hack View Post
    local can get????
    EM5

Quote Originally Posted by shark78 View Post
    local can get????
    Not sure about that.
    Maybe can go to those reputable shops to see.

I just tried the Zeiss fluid on an old MC filter smeared with grease. A few swipes with a non-branded spectacle MF cloth and all the visible grease was gone.

As suspected, a residue can be seen when I breathed on the filter, but that appears to go off easily with a few more breaths and further wipes with a clean section of the MF cloth. The same happens with all the other cleaning fluids I've tried.

When shaken, a bubbly head appears in the bottle, much like every other lens cleaning solution I've seen thus far.

Aside, I once remembered reading a Leitz article on what they described to be the ideal lens cleaning solution, and gave a chemical break-down. I can't find it at the moment.
    Purasol from Edmund Optics dries without any residue.

Purasol from Edmund Optics dries without any residue.
    Did you breath on the surface after cleaning to check?

Did you breath on the surface after cleaning to check?
    Yes of course.. I get a clean and uniform condensation.

so is there any conclusion on whether vitacon is sub-standard compared to other brands like Hoya PRO series?

I ran into same situation as the OP today. paid 35 bucks for a 58mm ultra slim multicoated filter. i wanted to get Hoya PRO series (quoted 55 bucks) but the guy said that Vitacon is multicoated, hence better. and he said that ultra slim is better.. sigh.

GO and complain, i got a vitacon uv from peninsula for $18 and frankly speaking vitacon sucks, in the end i got a hoya 67mm for $35.

Quote Originally Posted by minty View Post
    so is there any conclusion on whether vitacon is sub-standard compared to other brands like Hoya PRO series?

I ran into same situation as the OP today. paid 35 bucks for a 58mm ultra slim multicoated filter. i wanted to get Hoya PRO series (quoted 55 bucks) but the guy said that Vitacon is multicoated, hence better. and he said that ultra slim is better.. sigh.
    Do your homework on Hoya website, Hoya does come as multi-coated as well. Note the exact type (yep, Hoya comes in many different versions). Ultra-Slim is only necessary for certain (ultra) wide angle lenses to avoid vignetting. Kit lenses and everything longer can easily go with normal filters. You can also have a look into the Price Guide section here for some indications about prices. Some shops also do equotes, quite competitive.
    EOS

just a qns.. is the lens hood dependent on the lens thread or body?
    Canon 450D/ F1.8 50MM/ EF-S 55- 250MM/ IS 18 - 15 MM

Quote Originally Posted by hyori View Post
    It's dependent on the focal length of your lens. Most lenses have their dedicated hood.

There are lens hood that screws onto the lens filter thread and there are those that lock onto the len barrel catch (provide that lens has one).

If you are buying the screw on thread type, then it is a yes. For the barrel catch must match the specifically to the lens model.

Quote Originally Posted by hyori View Post

save the money and get a Hoya at the very least. i believe most filter brand got it's own variant of multi coat~

Interesting.. i didn't know zeiss produce optical cleaning solution!
    Playing with M43.

Quote Originally Posted by spheredome View Post
    There are lens hood that screws onto the lens filter thread and there are those that lock onto the len barrel catch (provide that lens has one).

If you are buying the screw on thread type, then it is a yes. For the barrel catch must match the specifically to the lens model.
    Even for threaded hoods which can mount on other lenses it's not meant for, it may not be effective or it will cause vignetting.

Not Only VITA"CON", last time i kana EMOLUX brand somemore also cannot make it. Recent week i went SimLim to buy filter. They intro me VITACON UV Multicoat blah blah blah..

But i insisted Hoya..
    Look more "song" with [Made in Japan] on the filter!
    Nikon D90 only

Quote Originally Posted by dannytomato View Post
    Not Only VITA"CON", last time i kana EMOLUX brand somemore also cannot make it. Recent week i went SimLim to buy filter. They intro me VITACON UV Multicoat blah blah blah..

But i insisted Hoya..
    Look more "song" with [Made in Japan] on the filter!
    Later they tell you Vitacon and Emolux also made in Japan.

Emolux/Emoblitz = local company. Buy le, buyer emo...

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    A *little* bit of effort on google (1 search) can reap results too:

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...ns-filters.htm

Scroll to the bottom to understand more.
    thnx rashkae for the link...its very helpful for newbies like me!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast