Thread: Advise on night potrait.

Default Advise on night potrait.

beside using night protrait mode.. use AV mode? any suggestion for nite potrait with bokeh?

using f1.8 50mm prime lens or kit lens 450d
    Canon 450D/ F1.8 50MM/ EF-S 55- 250MM/ IS 18 - 15 MM

Default Re: Advise on night potrait.

What's wrong with Av mode?

no no. i m juz checking if there is any other way to improve like using manual mode and stuff... if AV mode.. same as day? use large highest F stop?

Quote Originally Posted by hyori View Post
    no no. i m juz checking if there is any other way to improve like using manual mode and stuff... if AV mode.. same as day? use large highest F stop?
    what u mean by highest F-stop how high?

potrait w boken, sbould be using low f-stop, meaning biggest apperture, maybe boast up the ISO since u shooting night, so ur shutter can be faster, reduce shake from u n also from ur subject

so really u have to tweak ur settings according to how ur pic turns out... so if u start off with potrait mode, then check the EXIF values (ISO, f-stop, Shutter) then tweak accordingly... so moral of story know the basics then work from there
    Last edited by tunge; 15th September 2009 at 04:31 PM.

Hi hyori,

To shoot portraiture at night, if you don't mind the background, just turn on the flash and shoot. If you want to include the background, you'll need to use a tripod plus show sync flash. The subject must remain still throughout from the moment the shutter is released till the shot is taken. If you're using A mode, make sure the subject is within the flash range for the selected aperture, ISO and focal length (refer to your camera's manual if using the internal flash, or the manual for the external flash).

Pls read the previous threads on this issue.

There are a few ways to do so and it also depends on what effect you want.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Quote Originally Posted by hyori View Post
    beside using night protrait mode.. use AV mode? any suggestion for nite potrait with bokeh?

using f1.8 50mm prime lens or kit lens 450d
    what kind of effect you want to achieve?
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

thanks! basically i wan to achieve bokeh backgnd ... and sharp image... but i realise its very easy to blur cos tend to shake abit... i got a f1.8 50mm planning to use tat ... btw issit possible to use zoom lens without tripod and get nice nite potrait on candid shots?