Default Re: Journey with my 1st DSLR Begins~

Just follow my FAV. advise for all

SHOOT more
    Post more...
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Quote Originally Posted by lil_princess View Post
    I was shooting in my living room. Used AP and Manual. I still remembered that some of my shots turned out all blackish.
    I assume that is during daytime? Try using P mode for your trip first - you would not want to ruin the pics. You can experiment with Av and Tv mode when shooting other non critical shots (or you could take the same shot twice, once with P mode and the other with Av/Tv mode). Avoid M mode for the time being, until you get a good understanding of the basics. M mode is only needed in some rare situation where you want to override the camera's AE (auto exposure) or keep a constant exposure setting (e.g. taking panorama); it gives you complete control on the exposure but with power comes responsibilities.

Do shoot and and practice more before going to your trip. Let us know if you need more help. Have fun shooting~

Welcome to this forum =)
    I wouldn't say a dry cabinet is a must, but it is definitely value for money and put your mind at ease that all your photographic equipment is taken care of.
    I used to have a dry box with silica gel but it turns out less cost effective because i have to re-fry the silica gel to reuse it.

I am not sure how much a dry cabinet in Taipei is, but given that one in Singapore is as low as $110, I dont believe it go much lower, and the thought of CARRYING one back from taiwan and having warranty there doesn't sound that appealing.

Lens pen and blowbrush are really useful items for maintaining the lens.
    p/s: If you havent got yourself a lens filter, do get one to protect the main lens from scratches.

Don't be afraid to take bad shots with ur dslr. So long as you experiment and learn about the different modes, you will be okay in no time.

Bkt Timah

Quote Originally Posted by lil_princess View Post
    Have been interested in photography for years, though it seems that I am usually in front of the camera more than behind it all these years....
    But I am finally able to get my very first DSLR - Canon 450D. I am really elated!

For starters, need to get some advise.

1. Is it a must to get a dry cabinet? I have done some search in the forum, and some mentioned using airtight containers with silica gel. However, if I plan to keep my camera for long, will this method be advisable? Cos after getting this camera, I have a budget to work around (Still a student).

2. There has been discussions about AIPO and Digihub cabinets around here. If AIPO is from Taiwan (and I am going there year-end), will getting it from there be any cheaper? IF so, does anyone has any info as to where I can get in in Taipei?

3. Please kindly provide more suggestions as to how to care for cameras. I think this is very important to me as I plan to keep my cammie for long

With that, I look forward to your advice.
    Thank you!
    (1) Yes, plse get a dry cabinet. It's not really a huge expense but it goes a long way to protect your gear in a hassle free manner. Just plug it, set the humidity level and you are set. Easy and fuss free protection from fungus especially for the lenses. Do buy locally as (i) it's just too bulky and (ii) most warranties are local.

(2) A camera cleaning kit ought to suffice. But, do read up on the proper way to clean your sensor or lenses.

(3) Sign up for the free introductory course conducted by Canon as recommended by a forumer. Also read up on the manual for your camera - you need to understand how your camera works and more specifically, how to access the different functions on your camera.

(4) If you have sufficient interest, sign up for a paid Basic Photography Course. Objectifs ( is a good place. Nothing beats getting a strong foundation to build upon and this will be a useful lifelong skill as you record your life's journey in an artistic manner.

(5) The two most important technical basics on camera control that you ought to know/master, IMHO, are the aperture control "AV" and shutter speed "TV". A large aperture makes the area of focus clear whilst the rest (in front and behind) blur or more commonly known as "bokeh" whilst a small aperture renders everything (the subject of focus, in front of and behind it) in the picture clear. A fast shuttle speed freezes the picture whilst a slower shuttle speed allows some motion or blur e.g. when shooting a fountain with fast shuttle speed, you can see water droplets being frozen whilst shooting it with a slower shuttle speed will get you a "flow" of water.

(6) Then, you will get into the other technical aspects such as ISO, White Balance, etc.

(7) Being in front of the camera yourself would help tremendously in appreciating the artistic aspects of what you want to capture i.e. the composition. But, that's often the hardest for most and that's where practise makes perfect.

(8) Also, you will need to acquire a good photo editing software like Adobe Photoshop. If you are a student, I think there's a student's price ( else you easily would have to pay at least a few hundred for it. Get it and learn how to use the software or sign up for a course. It really adds an extra dimension to photography and its very useful as you develop a photography style which is you.

(9) Lastly, enjoy shooting. That's what it's all about and interact with the experienced photographers - I am sure they are more than willing to share their tips.

(10) I am a mere enthusiast and am just sharing - Objectifs, Adobe or Canon, etc don't pay me for recommending (although it would be great if they did *wishful thinking*).
    Last edited by whizzard; 20th September 2009 at 02:25 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12