Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 152

Thread: Ode to the Officers of our Singapore Armed Forces

  1. #81
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    near the Equator
    Posts
    1,255

    Default Re: Ode to the Officers of our Singapore Armed Forces

    Quote Originally Posted by drakon09 View Post
    Well, it's the same army.

    Then there are some who think it's their mother's/father's army.
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

  2. #82
    Senior Member Leong23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    within myself
    Posts
    3,186

    Default Re: Ode to the Officers of our Singapore Armed Forces

    Quote Originally Posted by LazerLordz View Post
    9 out of 10 army tales are no different from the other, really.
    Those serve army before they introduce TSR is more fun.

    (only fun to recall, not fun when doing it)

  3. #83
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    谁是你
    Posts
    2,706

    Default Re: Ode to the Officers of our Singapore Armed Forces

    Each year duirng my reservist, i noticed when the men work, the orificers gather around to spend their time watching DVDs in the aircon bunks from 8-5 pm. Come night time, I think they are also scared of the dark because they will gone home, only to appear fresh-faced the next day. Weekends, they are vanished from view, i think because they are recuperating at home from stress of watching too much movies during the entire weekdays.

    I really pity these orificers.


    Quote Originally Posted by limwhow View Post
    There are men and there are men.
    There are officers and again, there are officers.

    I myself am an officer. And I understand my responsibility and my own vulnerability as a Commander. And especially at this stage of my life, after having seen and tasted the outside world, I vow that when war comes I will be the first to stand up and offer my service.

    Even as I have finished my NS liability and am about to receive my Mindef Reserve Letter, I am proud to say that my years in my reservist unit have seen our officers and men work closely together. A great majority of the officers are responsible commanders who won't mind getting their hands soiled with lowly work like carrying bags and setting up tent-age together with the men, who in return, offer their sincerest assistance to their commanders. These commanders truly understand the delicate balance between 'Command', 'Persuasion' and 'Coercion'.

    To TS, at the end of the day, it is no longer about 9 months of OCS, about extra work, about being arrowed, about having to live with un-cooperative WO's. All these will no longer be important. Those of us who have ROD-ed and who have served our dues in our reservist units will be able to look back and see with unsurpassed clarity, the big picture. It's all about individual responsibility. Like any company in the civilian world, there will always be Directors, a CEO, a CFO, a GM, Senior Managers, Executives, Administrators, Admin Assistants, Office boys, Janitors.. etc.. Everyone does his/her job.

    I am as proud of my NCO's - my Enciks, my Platoon Seargents, my Staff Seargents, my Coporals and my every single men, as I am of my fellow Officers. There is, in my opinion, no real demarcation. We are all here together.
    I am simply hoping that every single Singaporean man, after living out his NSF life, and after having been out there in the civilian world, will look back and see the real picture. And all the complains we haboured during our NSF days would be nothing but fleeting moments of displeasure.

  4. #84

    Default Re: Ode to the Officers of our Singapore Armed Forces

    Quote Originally Posted by kiwitan View Post
    Each year duirng my reservist, i noticed when the men work, the orificers gather around to spend their time watching DVDs in the aircon bunks from 8-5 pm. Come night time, I think they are also scared of the dark because they will gone home, only to appear fresh-faced the next day. Weekends, they are vanished from view, i think because they are recuperating at home from stress of watching too much movies during the entire weekdays.

    I really pity these orificers.

    My platoon the officers very ke lian one, all no frens because there are so little of them.

    Then whenever they see the specs and men having fun, taking kork, they will want to join in too. But because they are officers, they must pretend to be
    upright and stuff, then after that kena outcast from our conversations. Sibeh ke lian

  5. #85
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Still wondering where I belong
    Posts
    3,434

    Default Re: Ode to the Officers of our Singapore Armed Forces

    Quote Originally Posted by HeiPiGu View Post
    My platoon the officers very ke lian one, all no frens because there are so little of them.

    Then whenever they see the specs and men having fun, taking kork, they will want to join in too. But because they are officers, they must pretend to be
    upright and stuff, then after that kena outcast from our conversations. Sibeh ke lian
    reservist is worst when they try to ask us do something... all bochap continue to sleep
    Gallery|Baby gallery
    I have become an expert in cleaning poo

  6. #86

    Default Re: Ode to the Officers of our Singapore Armed Forces

    Quote Originally Posted by flowerpot View Post
    reservist is worst when they try to ask us do something... all bochap continue to sleep

    Ok, I'm guilty of that one

    My brain cannot decipher the word 'volunteer'.

  7. #87

    Default Re: Ode to the Officers of our Singapore Armed Forces

    I am entering the army next year. Tio commando.
    But I was quite happy, as I do not want to waste away my 2 years.
    Hopefully, I can get into OCS, but that's just a hope.

    Anyway, there seem to be a lot of politics going on in the army.

  8. #88

    Default Re: Ode to the Officers of our Singapore Armed Forces

    Quote Originally Posted by whattokingu View Post
    I am entering the army next year. Tio commando.
    But I was quite happy, as I do not want to waste away my 2 years.
    Hopefully, I can get into OCS, but that's just a hope.

    Anyway, there seem to be a lot of politics going on in the army.

    How come go Commando means u will not waste ur 2 years?

  9. #89

    Default Re: Ode to the Officers of our Singapore Armed Forces

    Quote Originally Posted by whattokingu View Post
    I am entering the army next year. Tio commando.
    But I was quite happy, as I do not want to waste away my 2 years.
    Hopefully, I can get into OCS, but that's just a hope.

    Anyway, there seem to be a lot of politics going on in the army.
    anywhere in the army is the same. it what you do that will have an impact on your army life.

  10. #90
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    bukit batok
    Posts
    1,478

    Default Re: Ode to the Officers of our Singapore Armed Forces

    Quote Originally Posted by whattokingu View Post
    I am entering the army next year. Tio commando.
    But I was quite happy, as I do not want to waste away my 2 years.
    Hopefully, I can get into OCS, but that's just a hope.

    Anyway, there seem to be a lot of politics going on in the army.
    good luck for the airborne jump.
    heard a few cases of poor landing...
    Last edited by Simon_84; 20th September 2009 at 02:47 PM.

  11. #91
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,835

    Default Re: Ode to the Officers of our Singapore Armed Forces

    74/08 woohoo! i'm one of those that just commissioned! i'm from arty btw, not infantry. heh.

  12. #92

    Default Re: Ode to the Officers of our Singapore Armed Forces

    Quote Originally Posted by HeiPiGu View Post
    How come go Commando means u will not waste ur 2 years?
    At least I get to do some stuff other units wont get to do that I am personally interested, like airborne jump, and jungle survival.

    It's like if you keng your way through the army and be clerk, then you 9-to-5 do paper work, isn't it wasting time?
    That's my personal take anyway.

  13. #93
    Senior Member +evenstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Singapore / United Kingdom
    Posts
    5,655

    Default Re: Ode to the Officers of our Singapore Armed Forces

    Quote Originally Posted by whattokingu View Post
    At least I get to do some stuff other units wont get to do that I am personally interested, like airborne jump, and jungle survival.

    It's like if you keng your way through the army and be clerk, then you 9-to-5 do paper work, isn't it wasting time?
    That's my personal take anyway.
    every unit does different things. commandoes dont get to experience what armour/CE/etc do and vice versa. as for JCC, all officers go through the course during OCS
    eat. drink. shoot

  14. #94
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    bukit batok
    Posts
    1,478

    Default Re: Ode to the Officers of our Singapore Armed Forces

    Quote Originally Posted by whattokingu View Post
    At least I get to do some stuff other units wont get to do that I am personally interested, like airborne jump, and jungle survival.

    It's like if you keng your way through the army and be clerk, then you 9-to-5 do paper work, isn't it wasting time?
    That's my personal take anyway.
    jungle survival, ocs and other land units also have.

    if you do expect to be enlisted in cdo mono-intake, then prepared to expect some rough treatment, same as for those in ndu as well.

    the paper work is from 8 to 5.30, funny why most ppl think is just purely office hours, i'll seen how navy ops writers have to OT to get their work done...and some of the navy hr dept nsf are actually quite good in what they do especially when it comes to excel and power point presentations.
    without them, i guess you won't even see an article on how cdo is best combat unit on pioneer magazine.
    Last edited by Simon_84; 20th September 2009 at 03:18 PM.

  15. #95

    Default Re: Ode to the Officers of our Singapore Armed Forces

    Quote Originally Posted by whattokingu View Post
    It's like if you keng your way through the army and be clerk, then you 9-to-5 do paper work, isn't it wasting time?
    That's my personal take anyway.
    so how useful is jungle training and airborne jumping when you are seated at a 9-5 desk job next time?

    education is often less about what you do, more about what you bring away.

    a desk job in the army can teach you a lot, jungle training can teach you a lot.. it depends on how open your mind is.

  16. #96

    Default Re: Ode to the Officers of our Singapore Armed Forces

    Well...
    Many of us will have a lifetime to sit at a desk...

    But how many of us will have a chance to drink from a stream in Brunei, taste the sweet water, or wake up to a sunrise with rolling plains in Taiwan in the background, or steal some sleep in a kind soul's home in Taiwan and see the elderly couple bring a bowl of porridge to you... priceless man...

    No Tung Luk can match that.

    We make friends and learn in all vocations. But some experiences are harder to come by again.
    Last edited by petetherock; 20th September 2009 at 04:16 PM.
    Nikon D750; FM2; FG; 55mm Micro Nikkor; 28-300 VR; 70-200 VR; Nikon V1 + 10-30mm

  17. #97

    Default Re: Ode to the Officers of our Singapore Armed Forces

    Quote Originally Posted by petetherock View Post
    But how many of us will have a chance to drink from a stream in Brunei, taste the sweet water, or wake up to a sunrise with rolling plains in Taiwan in the background, or steal some sleep a kind soul's home in Taiwan and see the elderly couple bring a bowl of porridge to you... priceless man...
    you need a group of people wearing camou gear to bring you there to experience all that?

  18. #98

    Default Re: Ode to the Officers of our Singapore Armed Forces

    Would you like to tell me how you can get to that stream in Brunei
    And for free too?
    All I paid for was the Longan in the canteen after the topo .... heck I was even paid rank allowance to take that hike in Taiwan and Brunei.... LOL



    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    you need a group of people wearing camou gear to bring you there to experience all that?
    Nikon D750; FM2; FG; 55mm Micro Nikkor; 28-300 VR; 70-200 VR; Nikon V1 + 10-30mm

  19. #99
    Senior Member xtemujin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Singapura, Singapore
    Posts
    2,778

    Arrow Re: Ode to the Officers of our Singapore Armed Forces

    It did prove useful for some of the Singaporean who were trapped in East Timor a few years ago and a firefight in the Phillipines streets.

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    so how useful is jungle training and airborne jumping when you are seated at a 9-5 desk job next time?

    education is often less about what you do, more about what you bring away.

    a desk job in the army can teach you a lot, jungle training can teach you a lot.. it depends on how open your mind is.

  20. #100

    Default Re: Ode to the Officers of our Singapore Armed Forces

    Quote Originally Posted by petetherock View Post
    Would you like to tell me how you can get to that stream in Brunei
    And for free too?
    All I paid for was the Longan in the canteen after the topo .... heck I was even paid rank allowance to take that hike in Taiwan and Brunei.... LOL

    well that's true

    and some of us might never know that we enjoy such things.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •