View Poll Results: What format do you primarily shoot?

Voters
486. You may not vote on this poll
  • Film

328 67.49%
  • Digital

158 32.51%
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Who here still shoots primarily film?

Quote Originally Posted by JT1
    Shoot slide film here... Scanners are A+ and archiving is simply a label and putting in a box.

Got Ekatachrome slides that go back 35+ years.... Scanned in, they look like new.... My 3MB cam photos from 4 yrs ago cant compare....
    35+ yrs?... sure, that is ultimate RAW itself. That is why National Archive or Mindef Manpower use microfilm to archive. With little physical storage space, u can have lotsa archives. Let say a hole or fungus on the film, u can still project it and see. A single byte of dead data on the digital media may mean unrecoverable data. On integrity, would the court believe a digital photograph as evidence then yesterday technology? If not why?

Many here may be teens or techno-geeks, maybe ever only use a dslr before. both have their space. but sometime people make their claim becos their dunwan to feel being left behind or 'outdated' infront of fellow mate or have to say his is better since the person may already spend mega-thousand and if they started to doubt their choices, it may look stupid. i say this in a psychological point and nothing to do with who or photography. it happen everywhere.

if they know their choices, that will be fine whether film or digital or whathaveu becos they know what they want. they will also be very much contended and busy using and have no time trying to influent ppl showing them that their decision are far superior.

do u know what u want? do u know yr choices and why do u care what they next guy use?

not sure whether this poll is updated... might not be reflective of current situation given it was started more than 1 year ago.

Default Re: Who here still shoots primarily film?

Cindy Crawford teach me 1 thing.

"trust ur judgement, trust Omega"

i trust my judgement, but not Omega.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX Boy
    Agree with you man! Digital cameras lifespan is short!
    But many ppl that I had seen still believe that theirs DSLR can last them for lifetime!
    I shoot MAINLY FILM.....

One of the reason I am still using FILMS is the short life span of a DSLR.

I believe a SLR can last up to 5yrs at least (most slightly, even more), and still requires little maintance...... a DSLR... knowing how often electronic stuff break down... I think it will be lucky to survive 3 yrs......

Also, I am not willing to part the money for DSLR yet, as I think the price is have not stablized... PC price have more or less reached the saturation point and I am waiting for DSLR to reach the same... with Full frame...

But then, it is when FF can be as rich and sharp as vevia...... hee heee...
    Art is perception; Perception is art.

Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz
    Cindy Crawford teach me 1 thing.

"trust ur judgement, trust Omega"

i trust my judgement, but not Omega.
    How about Alpha?

Quote Originally Posted by Halfmoon
    I shoot MAINLY FILM.....

One of the reason I am still using FILMS is the short life span of a DSLR.

I believe a SLR can last up to 5yrs at least (most slightly, even more), and still requires little maintance...... a DSLR... knowing how often electronic stuff break down... I think it will be lucky to survive 3 yrs......

Also, I am not willing to part the money for DSLR yet, as I think the price is have not stablized... PC price have more or less reached the saturation point and I am waiting for DSLR to reach the same... with Full frame...

But then, it is when FF can be as rich and sharp as vevia...... hee heee...
    IIRC, someone has used d30 compare with provia POSITIVE i.e slides...and the d30 images blown res with gen fractals...d30 seem better quality ok. dont even talk about FF, 5D. d30 nia.

oh and pls dun tell me 1V can only last 5 yrs++ k. and 1dsmkIIn cannot possibly be LUCKY to survive 3 years. unless you do underwater photog without UWhousing or something.

Quote Originally Posted by doug3fflux
    oh and pls dun tell me 1V can only last 5 yrs++ k. and 1dsmkIIn cannot possibly be LUCKY to survive 3 years. unless you do underwater photog without UWhousing or something.
    But I am sure those cameras that you mentioned dun last as long as my Leica M-series cameras isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by XXX Boy
    But I am sure those cameras that you mentioned dun last as long as my Leica M-series cameras isn't it?
    leica is in a league of its own...

Ok..... my time frame is too short perhaps... but compare to film camera (SLR & others film cam), I am sure DSLR/ non-SLR digital camera of most commonly used (ie. consumer range) will not last as long as a traditional film camera. I am a consumer range user only, so I think consumer range..... ie. no EOS 1Ds mkII, etc....

But I said "I believe a SLR can last up to 5yrs at least (most slightly, even more), and still requires little maintance...... a DSLR... knowing how often electronic stuff break down..."

That phrase "little maintance" is the focus of my point actually.... and I thought of servicing the camera, cleaning the sensor... costing some $80 for it to clean it, etc... is cost incurred in maintence. Unlike film SLR.... you can simply use air pump and brush to clear the dusts.....

My film EOS since 1999 is still around, and a Pns that is over 8 yrs is still working fine. This is one thing I am not certain with a Digital camera.... Consumer range....

Ok..... my time frame is too short perhaps... but compare to film camera (SLR & others film cam), I am sure DSLR/ non-SLR digital camera of most commonly used (ie. consumer range) will not last as long as a traditional film camera. I am a consumer range user only, so I think consumer range..... ie. no EOS 1Ds mkII, etc....

But I said "I believe a SLR can last up to 5yrs at least (most slightly, even more), and still requires little maintance...... a DSLR... knowing how often electronic stuff break down..."

That phrase "little maintance" is the focus of my point actually.... and I thought of servicing the camera, cleaning the sensor... costing some $80 for it to clean it, etc... is cost incurred in maintence. Unlike film SLR.... you can simply use air pump and brush to clear the dusts.....

My film EOS since 1999 is still around, and a Pns that is over 8 yrs is still working fine. This is one thing I am not certain with a Digital camera.... Consumer range....

wa lao of cos la, fully mechanical slr/rangefinder etc can outlast a person lah....

IIRC, someone has used d30 compare with provia POSITIVE i.e slides...and the d30 images blown res with gen fractals...d30 seem better quality ok. dont even talk about FF, 5D. d30 nia.
    I have also read other comparison and that it is very different from the one that give you your conclusion, so it is a matter of subjective opinion.

http://www.naturephotographers.net/a.../dw0105-1.html

Please enjoy reading this... using a EOS 1D series. And you can let me know your opinion after reading. Someone with 17yrs in photography....

Of course, if I am selling you a DSLR.... I will make you believe that damn piece of camera is better that a Hasslebank too, even though it is not as many as 39MP!!! lol.... Just kidding.....

But for me, I am still not convinced with DSLR just yet... it is personal... so to each his own. I am sure I am entitled to my own subjective personal opinion here right?

How about Alpha?
    wads Alpha?

wa lao of cos la, fully mechanical slr/rangefinder etc can outlast a person lah....
    Yap... and like I have mentioned... with little maintance too... but to last 30 yrs+++++, sure need to have maintance for it....

So you get my point finally?

Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz
    wads Alpha?
    Alpha and Omega, the begining and the end.....

Never heard of this phrase?? Never mind then...

leica is in a league of its own...
    How many yrs is your Leica?

My Canon PnS is over 8 yrs.... same league of not????

Ok, just fooling around.... no hard feelings...

How many yrs is your Leica?

My Canon PnS is over 8 yrs.... same league of not????

Ok, just fooling around.... no hard feelings...
    yup, no hard feelings.

75 da shou?

Yap... and like I have mentioned... with little maintance too... but to last 30 yrs+++++, sure need to have maintance for it....

So you get my point finally?
    hmm. your point isnt very hard to get what.

without clicking ur link, i must say that yes these tests are very subjective. but just thought id share what i read..

no matter, im still sticking to film..

How about Alpha?

Not ALPHA!

Alpa!

Thumbs up Re: Who here still shoots primarily film?

My SLR minotla ST101 still in good working condition since 1966.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3678910 ... LastLast