Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 32 of 32

Thread: Sportsmenship, or rather the lack of it...

  1. #21
    Member Cartman2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    1,732

    Default Re: Sportsmenship, or rather the lack of it...

    Quote Originally Posted by nemesis32 View Post
    hmmm, that's interesting... again, how did he not believe properly? I can't recall any incident..

    In fact, i think what makes the lakers/celtics rivalry so great is that they really treated their opponents with respect. \

    Fighting hard for a win is not unsportsmanship. Just like i feel Bolton fights hard and deserved respect. Of course, Kevin davies and diouf are prob the bad apples...
    Fighting hard? Have you actually seen the 07-08 series with the Lakers?

  2. #22

    Default Re: Sportsmenship, or rather the lack of it...

    Quote Originally Posted by Cartman2000 View Post
    Fighting hard? Have you actually seen the 07-08 series with the Lakers?
    I got see leh. Have happening meh?

  3. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    bukit batok
    Posts
    1,478

    Default Re: Sportsmenship, or rather the lack of it...

    Quote Originally Posted by nemesis32 View Post
    heh... to be fair to Arsene... he's not the only one with selective vision... at least he's quite honest.. unlike SAF.... when his players was fouled, he will swear that Murder has been committed while when his players are fouling others, he will say the referee should have booked the opposition of simulating injuries! LOL
    there's a reason to as why he is called sir alex....

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,717

    Default Re: Sportsmenship, or rather the lack of it...

    Quote Originally Posted by Cartman2000 View Post
    Fighting hard? Have you actually seen the 07-08 series with the Lakers?
    I dont really mean the 07-08 series.. but even that series.. care sharing what's so unsportsman like?

  5. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Pacman's Corner
    Posts
    406

    Default Re: Sportsmenship, or rather the lack of it...

    This article from yahoo is very inaccurate IMO.

  6. #26
    Senior Member afbug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Planet SG™
    Posts
    483

    Default Re: Sportsmenship, or rather the lack of it...

    Yeah Serena should have controlled her emotions better even thou she is a woman cos she is no 1st timer. Bags of experience yet still lashes out. Tennis is diff from football. Players are suppose to be more compose and calm. But have to admit, sport still needs these type of players as it creates a least some controversy, not so boring. Like snooker's Ronnie O' Sullivan, he is the bad boy but without him, snooker will be a much poorer sport.

    As for Ade, he is alamak, no hope for cure! Ex team mate and strike partner, even if there is some bad blood, still should have shown more respect.

  7. #27
    Member Cartman2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    1,732

    Default Re: Sportsmenship, or rather the lack of it...

    Many illegal screens on the Lakers that were not called.. Posey's defense on Bryant was bad enough in fact.

  8. #28

    Default Re: Sportsmenship, or rather the lack of it...

    I do not get the whole idea of upholding pro-sportsmen as shining beacons of light for the human race, especially for their behaviour and character. We have people like Mother Theresa for that.

    Some of the greatest sportsmen have less than perfect character and behaviour. Jordan, Schummi, Tiger, Maradona ... even Sampras. But mostly it is a by-product of their intense desire to win. It doesnt make their achievements less impressive or their ability less admirable.

    N in an era where a lot is at stake in professional sports, there is a win-at-all-cost mentality bred into all top athletes. Of course this has to be within the rules ..... but gamesmenship IS part and parcel of top level pro sports.

    Frankly I prefer my athletes to have this kind of a mentality. Its their JOB ! If they happen to be nice blokes/gals then thats a little bonus on the side.

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    State of Confusion
    Posts
    2,196

    Default Re: Sportsmenship, or rather the lack of it...

    Quote Originally Posted by drabsinthe View Post
    I do not get the whole idea of upholding pro-sportsmen as shining beacons of light for the human race, especially for their behaviour and character. We have people like Mother Theresa for that.

    Some of the greatest sportsmen have less than perfect character and behaviour. Jordan, Schummi, Tiger, Maradona ... even Sampras. But mostly it is a by-product of their intense desire to win. It doesnt make their achievements less impressive or their ability less admirable.

    N in an era where a lot is at stake in professional sports, there is a win-at-all-cost mentality bred into all top athletes. Of course this has to be within the rules ..... but gamesmenship IS part and parcel of top level pro sports.

    Frankly I prefer my athletes to have this kind of a mentality. Its their JOB ! If they happen to be nice blokes/gals then thats a little bonus on the side.
    Heh. Reminds me of Usain Bolt.

    I say if I were the fastest man on the planet, I would also be hao-lian about it. Yes, partly natural talent, but I'm sure the man put in a lot of training hours to get where he's at, so IMHO, he has totally earned the right to brag.

    On a slightly related note, anyone got see Kanye West's behaviour at the MTV awards?
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

  10. #30
    Member Cartman2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    1,732

    Default Re: Sportsmenship, or rather the lack of it...

    Quote Originally Posted by synapseman View Post
    Heh. Reminds me of Usain Bolt.

    I say if I were the fastest man on the planet, I would also be hao-lian about it. Yes, partly natural talent, but I'm sure the man put in a lot of training hours to get where he's at, so IMHO, he has totally earned the right to brag.

    On a slightly related note, anyone got see Kanye West's behaviour at the MTV awards?
    Perhaps he had eaten too many fish sticks(South Park pun)

  11. #31

    Default Re: Sportsmenship, or rather the lack of it...

    Quote Originally Posted by synapseman View Post
    Heh. Reminds me of Usain Bolt.

    I say if I were the fastest man on the planet, I would also be hao-lian about it. Yes, partly natural talent, but I'm sure the man put in a lot of training hours to get where he's at, so IMHO, he has totally earned the right to brag.

    On a slightly related note, anyone got see Kanye West's behaviour at the MTV awards?

    Wah, u very versatile, sports talk can swing to music talk

    Kanye's behavior is going to ruin no one but himself. So I'm really happy he acted that way in front of million

  12. #32

    Default Re: Sportsmenship, or rather the lack of it...

    what exactly was wrong with MJ's speech? read that article and couldn't see what was wrong with it. he has nothing left to prove as a sportsman and i see his comments as tongue-in-cheek

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •