Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 54

Thread: What can we learn from Ris?

  1. #21

    Default Re: What can we learn from Ris?

    she should speak in dialect instead..

  2. #22
    Senior Member limwhow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Life revolves arOnd East Coast
    Posts
    7,049

    Default Re: What can we learn from Ris?

    Quote Originally Posted by shunzi View Post
    she should speak in dialect instead..
    Well, that was what I suggested earlier... but I personally don't think our organisers will allow that, although the Ang Moh's will be understandably impressed if she does that...

  3. #23

    Default Re: What can we learn from Ris?

    Quote Originally Posted by shunzi View Post
    she should speak in dialect instead..
    LOL! I was talking to my wife about the Straits Times article on Ris this morning, and that was exactly what she said as well. "Hokkien is one of our indigenous dialects, isn't it?"

    Probably would get lambasted again by the Taiwanese who'll say its "broken hokkien"!

  4. #24

    Default Re: What can we learn from Ris?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gunbucker View Post
    LOL! I was talking to my wife about the Straits Times article on Ris this morning, and that was exactly what she said as well. "Hokkien is one of our indigenous dialects, isn't it?"

    Probably would get lambasted again by the Taiwanese who'll say its "broken hokkien"!
    They dare!

    There are dialects within dialects, but Singapore Hokkien is uniquely Singapore, just like Singlish.

    Oh face it, no language can stand up to the unique blend of herbs and spices that is Singapore.

    (Dang, I must be craving for chicken...)

  5. #25

    Default Re: What can we learn from Ris?

    Quote Originally Posted by drakon09 View Post
    They dare!

    There are dialects within dialects, but Singapore Hokkien is uniquely Singapore, just like Singlish.

    Oh face it, no language can stand up to the unique blend of herbs and spices that is Singapore.

    (Dang, I must be craving for chicken...)
    Hehe, go grab a nice hot bowl of herbal chicken soup!

  6. #26
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: What can we learn from Ris?

    Quote Originally Posted by canonised View Post

    what can we learn from ris?
    世上无难事
    只怕有心人



  7. #27
    Member iMac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Tiong Bahru,Singapore
    Posts
    1,122

    Default Re: What can we learn from Ris?

    this is one of the funniest crap i have ever seen.yup she can speak hokkien or singlish.just give her a translator and solve the problem.

    I don't know if what ST is doing actually helps her.to come out in national papers,i think it is a mockery.first impression this dude ain't too smart with her qualification and then her bimbotic speech of dressing naughty.haha. Just stop these talent hunt or beauty queen craps.my friends fr overseas also cannot understand how stupid this whole thing and how she won.

  8. #28

    Default Re: What can we learn from Ris?

    When I key sms or msn messages and words in full and complete sentences and spelling, I am almost always get a momentarily surprise in the reply with all kinds of letters and numbers (which make little sense at all) .....
    so much so that i try to reply in short and articulate words so as not to appear like a kind of alien creature.
    I think this sms/msn are really bad for people, esp the younger generation.
    Last edited by Canonised; 14th September 2009 at 09:13 AM.
    always the Light, .... always.

  9. #29
    Member iMac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Tiong Bahru,Singapore
    Posts
    1,122

    Default Re: What can we learn from Ris?

    Quote Originally Posted by Canonised View Post
    When I key sms or msn messages and words in full and complete sentences and spelling, I am almost always get a momentarily surprise in the reply with all kinds of letters and numbers (which make little sense at all) .....
    so much so that i try to reply in short and articulate words so as not to appear like a kind of alien creature.
    I think this sms/msn are really bad for people, esp the younger generation.
    sigz i used to do that but u see,sms not free...proper english means phone bills goes up...broken english means can squeeze everything in 1 sms.

    and yes i agree to your last statement

  10. #30

    Default Re: What can we learn from Ris?

    Quote Originally Posted by iMac08 View Post
    sigz i used to do that but u see,sms not free...proper english means phone bills goes up...broken english means can squeeze everything in 1 sms.

    and yes i agree to your last statement

    I think contractions are fine, what really gets my goat (no, not nai meh) is the intentional misspelling of words.

    I mean Slade did that with their song titles but that was that...

  11. #31

    Default Re: What can we learn from Ris?

    what is the 'Ris' incident?

    I saw a show on 'discovery' channel and two singaporeans speaks english 'fluently'..but the whole clips are subtitled with english. Well, I saw some people who doesn't speak english 'fluently' but they speak slow and try to prounouce it correctly and it is usually more understandable.

    I guess the difference is one think 'I can speak english' and one understand that 'I didn't speak good enough english'..

  12. #32

    Default Re: What can we learn from Ris?

    Quote Originally Posted by Canonised View Post
    . They should spend lesss time on MSN, sms, facebook, etc....
    i think you should do something more productive rather than spending so much time on forums.

    I worked with a CEO before and his English sucks, but he getting more than $40k per month.

    So get a life, stop making fun of people already. You another thread about defect also very mean.

    senior.....
    Objection !!!

  13. #33

    Default Re: What can we learn from Ris?

    Quote Originally Posted by ninelives View Post
    i think you should do something more productive rather than spending so much time on forums.

    I worked with a CEO before and his English sucks, but he getting more than $40k per month.

    So get a life, stop making fun of people already. You another thread about defect also very mean.

    senior.....
    Did i step on your tail? What are you mumbling? These topics are even being discussed in mainstream tv and radio and you think there is nothing we can learn from this bad episode?

    Are you suggesting that I should not start or post anything here at Kopitiam?

    One thing you are right is that it is really non-productive spending time here .... so you too please get a life and stop coming in here as well ....

    and for the other topic, please read carefully what i have written before you give a silly comment here.
    always the Light, .... always.

  14. #34

    Default Re: What can we learn from Ris?

    I like spending time in forums.

  15. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    谁是你
    Posts
    2,706

    Default Re: What can we learn from Ris?

    she can just replys in Chinese, saying her parents is come from China, so that is why her English cannot be speaks well.


    Quote Originally Posted by drakon09 View Post
    Short of a miracle, I don't think she'll make the Q & A stage.

    I think her pronunciation and diction would improve, but chances are they would be considered and deliberate, take her off guard, and she would probably lapse to her natural way of speaking.

    A bigger issue is whether she can handle topics heavier than say, fashion?

  16. #36
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    554

    Default Re: What can we learn from Ris?

    Come on guys, the problem doesn't really lie with her Singlish. It is her bimbotic answers and her pretentious accent that made the whole contest so farcical. Even if she speaks perfect Queen's English, she will still not be able to carry out a conversation well, simply for her lack of knowledge and her demeanour. It makes a mockery out of the whole contest.

    Beauty contest is not all about looks but also brain matter? Such statement is so full of hypocrisy!

  17. #37
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: What can we learn from Ris?

    Quote Originally Posted by ninelives View Post
    i think you should do something more productive rather than spending so much time on forums.

    I worked with a CEO before and his English sucks, but he getting more than $40k per month.

    So get a life, stop making fun of people already. You another thread about defect also very mean.

    senior.....
    I don't know Ris Low will cry or laugh when she reads what you've written.


  18. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: What can we learn from Ris?

    Quote Originally Posted by hobbit6003 View Post
    Come on guys, the problem doesn't really lie with her Singlish. It is her bimbotic answers and her pretentious accent that made the whole contest so farcical. Even if she speaks perfect Queen's English, she will still not be able to carry out a conversation well, simply for her lack of knowledge and her demeanour. It makes a mockery out of the whole contest.

    Beauty contest is not all about looks but also brain matter? Such statement is so full of hypocrisy!
    Yup...

    Wat we can ren from ris is not something rat we can control... omg... what's happening to my fingers?
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  19. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: What can we learn from Ris?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    I don't know Ris Low will cry or laugh when she reads what you've written.

    Dunno... u wanna find out and then stomp it?
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  20. #40
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: What can we learn from Ris?

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    Wat we can ren from ris is not something rat we can control... omg... what's happening to my fingers?
    You've just painted them and they haven't dried?


Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •