Thread: Need some help in calibrating a monitor...

Default Need some help in calibrating a monitor...

I have a 3M monitor filter in front of my monitor, and when I view images through it, they seem as if a ND filter is passed through the image, and it sorta reduces contrast and brightness levels.

I didn't realise this until I took out my filter for cleaning whilst a D100 image was on the screen...

I was wondering as to how can I calibrate my monitor with the filter on. I don't have any fancy calibration devices like the Spyder or i1, so I'll need some help! I've tried to use Adobe Gamma, but the problem comes in the part when I have to adjust the brightness level - I can't really determine the brightness control "to make the center box as dark as possible (but not black) while keeping the frame a bright white."

I would like some advice as to what I should do to obtain accurate, if not, at least decent colour accuracy on my monitor.

I do have a Pantone colour set though. I was thinking to set some preset colours using Photoshop, and then physically comparing it to the specified Pantone set.

Thanks a lot everyone... Really learnt a lot from you guys here.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by SNAG
    I would like some advice as to what I should do to obtain accurate, if not, at least decent colour accuracy on my monitor.

I do have a Pantone colour set though. I was thinking to set some preset colours using Photoshop, and then physically comparing it to the specified Pantone set.
    Use the Pantone approach if you intend to do more CMYK (offset printing) adjustments.

Otherwise, go get a calibration print/image and use that to match on your monitor. This works fine for brightness/contrast on most monitors. I believe quite a number of CSers I know have done theirs up this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Azure
    Use the Pantone approach if you intend to do more CMYK (offset printing) adjustments.

Otherwise, go get a calibration print/image and use that to match on your monitor. This works fine for brightness/contrast on most monitors. I believe quite a number of CSers I know have done theirs up this way.
    Gee, thanks!
    Just to ask, how can I get a calibration print & image?
    Thanks a lot once again...