Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: iso 400 not enough?

  1. #1
    Senior Member denniskee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    bukit batok
    Posts
    5,468

    Default iso 400 not enough?

    shot some kids break-dancing in the city link (just before exit to esplanade) using 550ex, 50mm lens, iso400 film, f1.8 & 1/60sec, 3m away.

    Photos came out blurr, not able to freeze the movement (all those spinning, too fast), DOV is also not sufficient.

    should I push to 800 or 1600? pushing one stop may increase the shuttle speed but DOV is still not enough. will two stop helps?
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

  2. #2

    Default

    most probably there's enough light to light the dancers as your shutter speed is too slow, (1/60s). Try 1/200

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    In the Shepherd's hands
    Posts
    690

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by denniskee
    using 550ex, 50mm lens, iso400 film, f1.8 & 1/60sec, 3m away.
    should I push to 800 or 1600?
    can push. but colour will be v. yellow. maybe b/w film will work. how about using your flash? it should be able to give you a higher shutter speed even at iso400. can even experiment with slow shutter speed and flash (e.g. 1/8).
    Last edited by d7t3; 4th January 2004 at 07:19 PM. Reason: remove excessive quote

  4. #4
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,601

    Default

    no idea about film, but i'd try iso800 on my digital body. 1/60 is not enough to freeze the motion, in the first place. try 1/125 or 1/160 as a minimum speed to freeze. any slower, you can do 2nd curtain sync on the 550ex.

  5. #5

    Default

    if u r still using film:

    use fuji press800 pushable to 3200 with acceptable results. best used rated @800

  6. #6
    Senior Member denniskee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    bukit batok
    Posts
    5,468

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by d7t3
    can push. but colour will be v. yellow. maybe b/w film will work. how about using your flash? it should be able to give you a higher shutter speed even at iso400. can even experiment with slow shutter speed and flash (e.g. 1/8).
    Why very yellow, does pushing film gives yellow cast. As it is, because I am not using filters, the photos had yellow cast.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,464

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by denniskee
    shot some kids break-dancing in the city link (just before exit to esplanade) using 550ex, 50mm lens, iso400 film, f1.8 & 1/60sec, 3m away.

    Photos came out blurr, not able to freeze the movement (all those spinning, too fast), DOV is also not sufficient.

    should I push to 800 or 1600? pushing one stop may increase the shuttle speed but DOV is still not enough. will two stop helps?
    Hi

    i've shot there before (if we're thinking of the same place) and if i am not mistaken, the exposure there calls for ISO 800, f2 at 1/125 or f2.8 at 1/60. It isn't a very brightly lit place and ISO 400 is definitely not enough if you want to freeze their actions.

    Either way, 1/125 is the minimum if you want to freeze fast action.

    btw since u're using flash, you should, as others have suggested, definitely experiment with slow sync effects. And also a little motion blur suggests movement and energy, compared to the static mid-dance shot!
    David Teo
    View my work and blog at http://www.5stonesphoto.com/blog

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    In the Shepherd's hands
    Posts
    690

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by denniskee
    Why very yellow, does pushing film gives yellow cast. As it is, because I am not using filters, the photos had yellow cast.
    the yellow is caused by the lighting in that place. to my memory it was rather yellow compared to daylight. using flash will help to neutralise it a little.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •