Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Why do people still shoot with film cameras when digital is a better tool!

Well said, like a nice dissertation. I have been on film for a long, long time and then took the plunge 6 months ago, to buy a Oly C4000.

My discovery of digital are like expensive camera, almost 800 bucks which cost more than my SLR, very slow start up time and long shutter lag, battery life limited when battery last quite a few months in a SLR.

One more disappointment - small aperture! Most digicams could only go down to F8 or F11 and no smaller. Small aperture like F16 or F22 are great for landscapes, close-ups and some outdoor portraits and perhaps quite a few other situations.

So, for me, digital has been an expensive discovery!

Quote Originally Posted by smallaperture
    One more disappointment - small aperture! Most digicams could only go down to F8 or F11 and no smaller. Small aperture like F16 or F22 are great for landscapes, close-ups and some outdoor portraits and perhaps quite a few other situations.

So, for me, digital has been an expensive discovery!

(1) Have you been finding that f/11 with a digicam lacks depth of field? Have you actually tried a film at f/22 and digicam f/11 depth of field comparison?

(2) if you don't understand the relationship between focal length/subject distance and depth of field (ignoring circle of confusion for the moment) thats ok, most people don't (i only have a vague idea myself). There are many javascript applications available to show the relationship. Here's one (many others around more complicated than this...):

edit: better calculator (takes into account sensor size): http://members.rogers.com/jul.loke/
    Last edited by erwinx; 14th January 2004 at 09:32 AM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345