Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Solo backpacking

Default Re: Solo backpacking

Quote Originally Posted by bravocube View Post
    Hi - me too. I just quit my job. Not looking for a new job, but hoping very much to travel (perhaps with clubsnap members). Anyone else?
    Where have you decided to go? I'll be taking a long break coming Nov.

Go for it. Don't look back. I have been on a sort of solo tour of Asia for the last decade but with the good fortune of having work wherever I go. Always a couple of days here/there to get to grips with local surroundings and feel.

If I had not done it, I would not have my lifelong partner now.

Keep an open mind, and most importantly enjoy yourself! Be safe.
    Learning DSLR control http://stormtrigger.blogspot.com/

i'm going to quit next yr. was thinking of solo backpacking in australia and new zealand for a year. thinking of work temp job to cover my expenses there. I'm a girl, so kinna worry also. Anyone can give some advise or opinion of the plan??

If you don't mind working as a waitress, there are jobs in Oz.

Jobs are harder to come by in NZ. Their economy is bad. Menial jobs maybe possible, but bring enough $$.

I spent a few years in Oz, Sydney in partcular, working, studying and touring.

If you need more info on that place, pm me.

Not all places, esp in Oz are safe.

Best to be safe.

Cheers

P

Quote Originally Posted by yoerii View Post
    i'm going to quit next yr. was thinking of solo backpacking in australia and new zealand for a year. thinking of work temp job to cover my expenses there. I'm a girl, so kinna worry also. Anyone can give some advise or opinion of the plan??
    Nikon D750; FM2; FG; 55mm Micro Nikkor; 28-300 VR; 70-200 VR; Nikon V1 + 10-30mm

Quote Originally Posted by hoppinghippo View Post
    I guess even if your family doesn't depend on your income, its the typical sgprean mindset that frowns upon sacrificing a perfectly ok job and income just to travel? Its one thing to take long leave to travel and another to actually quit your job to travel for several months. But we're usu locked into the former and don't dare to do the latter? Till we're much much older and not healthy enuff to travel for several months at a time? So to those here that did just that my utmost respect!
    There are different stages in a person's working life. When you are in the "starting out years", you should try whatever activities you fancy, be it working in zany type of jobs or quitting and travelling around the world. Your opportunity cost is not alot unless you have people who depend of you. Later there will be the usual "no time, family" reasons for not travelling, backpacking.

So do it while you can - especially if you already have the inner urge. You can still travel around the world in later years, but it will not have the same perspective or objective. All the money in the world cannot make up for lost time.

I plan to backpack too. I just finished my Uni studies and dont intend to work for the next few months
    I plan to head to Europe/Aust for a month or so. Though budget/accomodation/safety is certainly an issue for me.
    I find that touring in a tour group is rather hasty, I cant take pictures to my heart's content.
    Have you read IT???

Just buy the inter rail pass and stay in the hostels you should meet a lot of people .

For a lone female traveller, it is something intimidating.
    I thought of couch-surfing, but it may not be that safe either~
    :-/
    Have you read IT???

wow...planning to quit my job next year to go backpacking for a few weeks in japan. solo backpacking...now, that's a thought.
    おれのflickrださ

If you go to OZ why not try OZ experince

It combines the backpacker thing with a tour ... a hop on hop off bus for young people

http://www.ozexperience.com/

or in europe

http://www.busabout.com/

Just do it! I backpacked through Europe on my own for two months when I was 19 (back in 2003). In some cities I had friends to stay with, and in others I stayed in hostels and just made friends there. No major problems except for being treated with less politeness due to my being Asian.

I took trains and buses the whole way, but these days, with an abundance of budget airlines, you can travel even cheaper by air. Just that travelling by land allows you to see more and meet more people.

Good luck.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234