Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Solo backpacking

Default Re: Solo backpacking

Having done the solo backpack thing many times the most important thing is not to stay in a hotel .

If you stay in a hotel you will never meet anybody...if you are solo backpacking stay in a hostel or budget accommodation recommended by the lonely planet books. There you will meet a lot of people (ok mainly ang moh) who are also travelling alone and you can hook with people easily for dinner or further travels .

The other big thing about travelling solo is you MUST MAKE THE EFFORT TO TALK TO PEOPLE.

I am stilll in touch with people I met when doing my round the world trip in 2001 ......... if you talk to anybody life long frienships can be developed . If you stay in your room and read a book you will be not have the best experience .

Last edited by Expat yorkshire; 17th September 2009 at 12:53 AM.

Blog Entries

I like to travel with another person at least. I have travelled alone a lot, and sometimes it is more convenient to have a companion. Especially when you need to go to the loo and you do not want to lug everything into the cubicle. Need someone to watch my stuff sometimes.

I m thinking for my own solo backpacking, i would for a start like to try an easier country with easy transport n ppl are friendly. Accomodation not too exp..
    so my choice is taiwan...

but clueless where to start..but hope to end at taipei.

anyone done it b4 with itnery to share? like from kaoshiung -taipei?

wanted to use a 2 weeks time to try out such an experience!

I backpacked with someone else for more than a week in Japan once, but was traveling alone on more days than not. Realised that I actually preferred the days that I was traveling alone than with my friend and it wasn't as "daunting" as what I had thought it to be.

Now I'm planning for a solo backpacking trip for a month in May.

Agree with most of what Expat Yorkshire has said, but not too sure about the hostel thing. Can't seem to find any of that in the places I want to visit, and yes, no photos of those places uploaded by ang mohs on flickr, google etc etc too. Hmm.

Quote Originally Posted by pikapig View Post
    I m thinking for my own solo backpacking, i would for a start like to try an easier country with easy transport n ppl are friendly. Accomodation not too exp..

can try...fly to xia men(china)....than go to jin men...than to tai nan...than all the way up to taipei....just nice 2 weeks....hehehe...

Quote Originally Posted by LiuLangMao View Post
    can try...fly to xia men(china)....than go to jin men...than to tai nan...than all the way up to taipei....just nice 2 weeks....hehehe...
    wat abt just within taiwan? is 2 weeks too long? tot of covering most part of taiwan w 2 weeks

I just quit my job without a job, just back from Laos for a week and I'm going backpacking again in Oct for a month. Can jio me if anyone is going.
    Last edited by cckue; 22nd September 2009 at 04:47 PM.

I"m really inspired, have always wanted to take time off, quit my job, just travel then come back and worry again. But never had the guts too. How do you guys overcome the worries, the unhappy family members who can't understand why you want to abandon your job?

they will nv understand..as long as money is a concern..if they are super rich, n don need that income of urs then u don even need an explanation to them for not working...

Tell them you will sell the photos you take along the journey and make enough money to fund your own trip

It is a true story that a guy quit his job, started his round the world journey, and sell his photos at the same time. At the end of his journey, he decided to work full time on photography
    Come visit my blog

I guess even if your family doesn't depend on your income, its the typical sgprean mindset that frowns upon sacrificing a perfectly ok job and income just to travel? Its one thing to take long leave to travel and another to actually quit your job to travel for several months. But we're usu locked into the former and don't dare to do the latter? Till we're much much older and not healthy enuff to travel for several months at a time? So to those here that did just that my utmost respect!

Just decide where you want to go, look up books/guides and info from the internet, get the ticket and GO! If you start to think, the more you think the more daunting it becomes and the trip will never happen. And many years down the road, you'll probably say, I should've just go! I've done solo to Hokkaido, Tokyo and Beijing If you are concern about whether can you adapt to being alone in a foreign country, try some places that speak your language like Mandarin or English to start 1st. As for accomodation wise, you can try booking a hostel or hotel for the 1st few days. This offer you flexibility because if you like that place alot you can extend your stay or if not you can always move on to the next city. And being solo, you can stay for as long as you like to take photos till your heart content!

Im new to this forum but no new to travelling, infact i just came back from a solo backpack from NE China, BJ->JiLin->Dalian back. Was on train/bus and stayed hostels and I enjoyed it very much...

Of cos its easier for me as Im a guy... however some argue that gender doesnt matter (which i agree, and i know a quite couple of female travellers who backpack alone) so long as you practise common sense while travelling eg, stay away from deserted places at nite.

Most importantly do you homework before you are there... and if you have always been wanting to visit a place... just go! you never know when you friends/companions will be available...

I have been to a couple of places in taiwan but all on seperate trips... and yes taiwan is one of my fav places to visit.
    you can do a loop say start from taipei, taichung, and go to the mountains like yushan and ali shan, then kenting(sunny south), then taitung/hualian/yilan(which is very beautiful), then back to taipei.... but i havent been there recently so i do not know the damages the recent typhoon has caused to these places
    taiwan is an easy and friendly place if you speak and read chinese....

A good place to start solo backpacking is New Zealand ....very geared up for Backpackers

I think the main thing to emphasise about Solo backpacking is you will meet a lot more people than you would travelling with others. Solo backpacking doesn't mean you will be on your own .....if you are open and friendly you will make some great friends .

When I went to Africa I just took a flight to Harare Zimbabwe with absolutely nothing booked and the people I met on that trip I am still in touch with today 15 years later
    Last edited by Expat yorkshire; 23rd September 2009 at 11:08 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by cckue View Post
    I just quit my job without a job, just back from Laos for a week and I'm going backpacking again in Oct for a month. Can jio me if anyone is going.
    Hi - me too. I just quit my job. Not looking for a new job, but hoping very much to travel (perhaps with clubsnap members). Anyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by hoppinghippo View Post
    I guess even if your family doesn't depend on your income, its the typical sgprean mindset that frowns upon sacrificing a perfectly ok job and income just to travel? Its one thing to take long leave to travel and another to actually quit your job to travel for several months. But we're usu locked into the former and don't dare to do the latter? Till we're much much older and not healthy enuff to travel for several months at a time? So to those here that did just that my utmost respect!
    I agree, family understanding is quite important. I would find it hard to travel in peace if my family is against the idea of quiting my job. Thankfully, both my parents themselves like to travel, so they can understand my decision.

Just do it. It would an experience you would remeber for the rest fo your life.

Quote Originally Posted by bravocube View Post
    Hi - me too. I just quit my job. Not looking for a new job, but hoping very much to travel (perhaps with clubsnap members). Anyone else?
    Count me in...
    but i intend to quit only next year leh

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast