Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Solo backpacking

Default Re: Solo backpacking

i was at bali diving last june,
    saw this couple from denmark, they quit their job to start on a 9months journey.
    they travelled to 20 countries over the past 9 mths, seems quite interesting.
    according to them they spent 30000 euros in total.
    so u might want to try that.

Quote Originally Posted by Oshkosh View Post

As for me.. its once and DONE. I will never go solo backpacking again. I would rather have someone share the beautiful things in life. Its rather lonesome.

Hope that helps. Better tips ------------ Get friends along.
    If one is so fortunate to have a good companion to share those beautiful sunsets, those clear crisp morning air... yes, I would say share these moments and treasure these memories instead of going at it alone.

Quote Originally Posted by ahbian View Post
    Me a guy who just turned 30.

Anyway, thought I rather do it now than when I'm 60.
    Erh... yah, if you miss the boat now, then you can either do it at 60 yr old, or hopefully earlier if you strike the $3 million TOTO and do not need to work anymore. Me, I am still waiting...

Quote Originally Posted by limwhow View Post
    If one is so fortunate to have a good companion to share those beautiful sunsets, those clear crisp morning air... yes, I would say share these moments and treasure these memories instead of going at it alone.

Erh... yah, if you miss the boat now, then you can either do it at 60 yr old, or hopefully earlier if you strike the $3 million TOTO and do not need to work anymore. Me, I am still waiting...
    Haha, I am not rich by any means, so sticking to the less expensive countries in Asia. Will need to find work once this hiatus is over.

For me, will have the money at 60, but maybe not the health.

just do it lah..... gal or guy....it does not matter....just be more smart and less flashy.
    last time I always wait and wait for ppl to go travel with me, and I end up going NOWHERE....one day I just wake up and took a solo silk route trip...thats was when I regrets waiting and waiting....shd have done it early...

now for me..I rather regrets doing it than regrets not doing it....
    Last edited by LiuLangMao; 11th September 2009 at 09:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LiuLangMao View Post
    just do it lah..... gal or guy....it does not matter....just be more smart and less flashy.
    last time I always wait and wait for ppl to go travel with me, and I end up going NOWHERE....one day I just wake up and took a solo silk route trip...thats was when I regrets waiting and waiting....shd have done it early...

now for me..I rather regrets doing it than regrets not doing it....
    You did a solo silk route trip? Meaning you really travelled by yourself? How long did it take you and how much did you spend?

Sorry if thats too many questions, really interested in doing something like that.

Haha, I am not rich by any means, so sticking to the less expensive countries in Asia. Will need to find work once this hiatus is over.

For me, will have the money at 60, but maybe not the health.
    Haha... start to keep yourself young at 30 years old. Our body starts to deteriorate once we reach 40. Don't forget, in the olden days, not far from right now, in the villages and tribes, human beings are already considered 'elders' when they reach 40 years old and life span then were rarely more than 50 years because many would have died at 40+ from infections and injuries.
    I wish you good health, and good money.

Haha I think solo backpacking, you either feel lonely miserable or you feel really free and happy, depends on individual. But I think it's great, you can do whatever you want, at your own pace. Just imagine, taking your own sweet time to set up your tripod, and snap all you want without having to consider that your travelling companions are waiting for you to finish. Only bad thing is, it's troublesome when there isn't a companion to look out for you, e.g. belongings etc.

Personally, I enjoyed both group and solo travel. I like to travel in group (preferrably small) when I am visiting 1 or 2 locations. Else, it is always nice to travel alone. I have travelling alone since early 20s and honestly no regrets. There is more freedom and there is no need to discuss about where to go and stay. You can extend your stay at a particular location if you like it, or leave immediately if you don't (which you can't if you are travelling in groups).

Some mentioned that travelling alone can be lonely. Seriously, it really depends on the individual and how much effort you put to start a conversation with other travellers. It can really be an enriching and interesting experience.

Finally, it is difficult to go on solo trip (less on business) once you get married and have children. Try it when you are still young (and available)

Have fun

Quote Originally Posted by Samie View Post
    Personally, I enjoyed both group and solo travel. I like to travel in group (preferrably small) when I am visiting 1 or 2 locations. Else, it is always nice to travel alone. I have travelling alone since early 20s and honestly no regrets. There is more freedom and there is no need to discuss about where to go and stay. You can extend your stay at a particular location if you like it, or leave immediately if you don't (which you can't if you are travelling in groups).

Some mentioned that travelling alone can be lonely. Seriously, it really depends on the individual and how much effort you put to start a conversation with other travellers. It can really be an enriching and interesting experience.

Finally, it is difficult to go on solo trip (less on business) once you get married and have children. Try it when you are still young (and available)

Have fun
    Exactly, its can be quite fun if you make the effort to know other travellers and the locals.
    They do have interesting experiences to share, and you might get more insight in the photos that you take.

There was one "memorable" incident where an englishman and i were having breakfast at different tables when he came over and joined me mid-meal. Had a good conversation, but when he left, i realised he didn't pay for his meal and I had to pick up the tab! (quite cheap anyway..)

I enjoy solo backpacking a lot more than traveling with a group. Its a lot easier to mix around with the locals and fellow backpackers when traveling alone. I feel that its good to have some quality time alone once in a while.

I had done solo backpacking in Sydney. Went ard NSW areas, Blue Mountains, Port Stephens, although the trip last 16 days. Spend ard S$2500 incl. air tics. Like everyone said, Safety is main concern. I always email my bf in Singapore daily my next day schedule. Inform the hostels staff where i'm going. Sort of kaisee ....

Anyway, it is a experience. Being independent, overcoming fear and meeting new friends around the world. Just be prepare the unexpectants along the trip.

Quote Originally Posted by bugsz View Post
    i was at bali diving last june,
    saw this couple from denmark, they quit their job to start on a 9months journey.
    they travelled to 20 countries over the past 9 mths, seems quite interesting.
    according to them they spent 30000 euros in total.
    so u might want to try that.
    I met a friend, Silvo (Italian) who took out USD 60,000 to travel the world. I tested his knowledge ard various places, including Singapore n he seems that he is not bull-shitting. I met him in Mongolia.

Anyway, his rationale for doing a global backpack was...

- He's in the business of Red Wine..
    - In every place, he would check out what wine the local drinks
    - What is in the Supermarkets, What sells...
    - When he goes back to US/ Italy, he intends to approach the Wine Makers and do Business Development for them... Afterall, he has been to these countries, right?
    - Then his value would increase multiple fold because he can tell exactly which part of the world drinks what wine and sell to them accordingly...

Talk about investing in yourself, building networks and having fun... Much equivalent to an EMBA except that you see the world at the same time and dont have to hand in silly assignments that are too conceptual...
    Don't brag about your accomplishments; Show us your future works.

In 1991, I spent a year backpacking around the world London - London via ASIA , USA and South Pacific ... it was the best year of my life.

If you go on your own you will meet more people..... in 365 days i think there was only a couple of days when I didnt meet anybody or hook up with somebody for dinner.

Stay in the budget places and you will meet fellow backpackers... they are all going in the same direction so you can hook up with them. If you get bored you head out on your own again.

it takes courage to do all these...and so if im a sole bread winner for my family, i doubt they will ever let me go..my life isnt all about me alone when i have a family...365 days not working n travelling...

how i envy those who quit and start going on tour...

One year for yourself for travel vs 70 years supporting your family I think its a fair deal.

As we say in Yorkshire you are a long time dead.(....... so enjoy life)
    Last edited by Expat yorkshire; 16th September 2009 at 10:45 AM.

im going to europe solo this 24 sept til 17 oct...
    still trying hard to find some khakis >___<
    if not... then i really solo...
    i hope everything will be ok... and i need to buy some novels to kill time on my lonely night i think >_<

Quote Originally Posted by archlover View Post
    i hope everything will be ok... and i need to buy some novels to kill time on my lonely night i think >_<
    A lot depends on your personality, but I think you'll be fine - I was alone in Cambodia for almost a week (because my friends left earlier) but I really enjoyed myself just walking around the city by myself absorbing the sights. It is quite rare that you end up dining alone, because a fellow group of tourists etc will always be sitting next to you and start chatting. Same when I was in Bangkok and Australia by myself.

Have a good trip and enjoy yourself!
    Nikon D90|Tokina 11-16|Nikkor 18-105|Nikon 70-300 VR|Nikon 50 f/1.8D|Nikon 35 f/1.8|

I did a trip up from Singapore to penang to bangkok then to Chiangmai and back. The total transport and hostel cost only bout $270.

I went by train and it was a really great trip. and cheap too. Go for it!!

You did a solo silk route trip? Meaning you really travelled by yourself? How long did it take you and how much did you spend?

Sorry if thats too many questions, really interested in doing something like that.
    1st part from lanzhou to urumqi is alone....take train..bus..taxi...
    2nd part from urumqi to kansa river is join local a 4day local tour grp...cost me cheap cheap RMB500...
    3rd part south xinjiang met up with a fren in urumqi to travel the desert highway from kashgar....its quite expensive to book a 4WD ...

all in all with air tic abt sgd3k 21days....

Quote Originally Posted by archlover View Post
    I went to prague alone....beautiful and romantic place...yet alone...feel super duper lonely...

moral of the story...if u wanna travel alone..avoid the romantic place....
    but I still enjoy travelling alone...I hate homo sapiens....hahahah

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast