Thread: Renting equipment for holidays

Default Renting equipment for holidays

I was considering renting a lens (possibly a nikon 17-55) for my holiday to south australia later this year. I know renting is usually not that cheap for the first day but the price drops significantly for subsequent days.

Is it a reasonable amount to rent the lens for a trip? Of course, i would rather buy the lens and keep it instead of paying a substantial amount for rental.

And are there any specific places where i can rent it at a decent rate for about 1-2 weeks? If anyone has done this before it would be nice to know your experience.

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Renting equipment for holidays

renting is not cheap. buy the lens is possible, i never rent as i don't need all those fancy lens...

but anyway for your info, check out commercial services offered sub-forum and try out rentcamera@sg or camera rental centre, they offer reasonable pricing.
    Pentax K-x

Quote Originally Posted by 2.8photography View Post
    I was considering renting a lens (possibly a nikon 17-55) for my holiday to south australia later this year. I know renting is usually not that cheap for the first day but the price drops significantly for subsequent days.

Is it a reasonable amount to rent the lens for a trip? Of course, i would rather buy the lens and keep it instead of paying a substantial amount for rental.

And are there any specific places where i can rent it at a decent rate for about 1-2 weeks? If anyone has done this before it would be nice to know your experience.

Thanks in advance.
    IMO it is not worth. Unless you got better lobang.
    just roughly calculate. For 1st day maybe $40 (for 17-55), then if subsequent day for 20 (or even 10), for 10 days you already paid at least $130 (40+90), or maybe $220 (40+180).

Try buying a second hand lens and then reselling after the trip. That way you lose close to nothing.

Anyway, you can check out the commercial services offered forum for rentals.

actually its ok lah ...u can nego with the shop for lower rate for longer period...but than...1 mth...even 30days X $25.....already 750 ...can get a second hand lens without warranty....

Quote Originally Posted by Shen siung View Post
    IMO it is not worth. Unless you got better lobang.
    just roughly calculate. For 1st day maybe $40 (for 17-55), then if subsequent day for 20 (or even 10), for 10 days you already paid at least $130 (40+90), or maybe $220 (40+180).
    follow what primephotog said, you hardly stand to lose.
    Pentax K-x

Quote Originally Posted by PrimePhotog View Post
    Try buying a second hand lens and then reselling after the trip. That way you lose close to nothing.

Yup, i second this

Quote Originally Posted by PrimePhotog View Post

Hmm I think that's a good idea - will probably go with that cos I guess renting does get a little pricey. If not I might try and borrow a lens

Thanks so much for your help