Thread: What the difference between Digital Flash and Analog Flash (old type)

Default What the difference between Digital Flash and Analog Flash (old type)

What the difference between Digital Flash and Analog Flash (old type),
    if I am using DSLR, i have to buy Digital flash instead of old type flash?

Default Re: What the difference between Digital Flash and Analog Flash (old type)

Without getting too technical...

1) One works in tandem with modern DSLRs and includes preflash functions for metering, incorporates advanced microprocessors and usually features low flash triggering voltages,

2) No, it's absolutely possible to use analog flash units with DSLRs. Just be sure to check the flash triggering voltage limit of your camera body, and the flash triggering voltage of the particular flash unit you're interested in (Google). Some advanced systems like the Metz SCA may still give you TTL functions on particular models with the appropriate SCA adapters.

Default Re: What the difference between Digital Flash and Analog Flash (old type)

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    Without getting too technical...

1) One works in tandem with modern DSLRs and includes preflash functions for metering, incorporates advanced microprocessors and usually features low flash triggering voltages,

2) No, it's absolutely possible to use analog flash units with DSLRs. Just be sure to check the flash triggering voltage limit of your camera body, and the flash triggering voltage of the particular flash unit you're interested in (Google). Some advanced systems like the Metz SCA may still give you TTL functions on particular models with the appropriate SCA adapters.
    Now the question is :

1. How to check the flash triggering voltage limit of the camera body.
    2. How to check the Flash triggering voltage of the flash unit.

Thanks...

Actually, it's not absolutely impossible to use analog flashes with dSLRs. You can if you use radio triggers or IR-triggers... aka wireless flash.

Most dSLRs have a limit of 6V or so for triggering flashes. Old type flashes trigger voltage go up to a couple of hundred volts (though I'm not quite sure how they upregulate the voltage from 4AA's). I believe you can use a multimeter to touch the central pin and a pin at the side of the hotshoe and then test fire. You gotta check up more on that though...
    incywincyspider climbup the waterspout...

Quote Originally Posted by karnage View Post
    Actually, it's not absolutely impossible to use analog flashes with dSLRs. You can if you use radio triggers or IR-triggers... aka wireless flash.

Most dSLRs have a limit of 6V or so for triggering flashes. Old type flashes trigger voltage go up to a couple of hundred volts (though I'm not quite sure how they upregulate the voltage from 4AA's). I believe you can use a multimeter to touch the central pin and a pin at the side of the hotshoe and then test fire. You gotta check up more on that though...
    If flash trigger voltage over, will it damage the flash or the camera ?
    sorry I'm a " Out Door Man "

Google: (key words used: flash trigger voltage list - 'list' was auto-suggested)
    http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html
    http://www.dpchallenge.com/forum.php...READ_ID=858828
    Enough?
    Last edited by Octarine; 10th September 2009 at 06:48 PM.
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by DesmondLeong View Post
    If flash trigger voltage over, will it damage the flash or the camera ?
    sorry I'm a " Out Door Man "
    Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Google: (key words used: flash trigger voltage list - 'list' was auto-suggested)
    http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html
    http://www.dpchallenge.com/forum.php...READ_ID=858828
    Enough?
    Haha! Guess you got your answer: Yes, it will FRY your circuits.
    incywincyspider climbup the waterspout...

Quote Originally Posted by karnage View Post
    Haha! Guess you got your answer: Yes, it will FRY your circuits.
    That mean is better to buy original flash to match your camera body instead of 3rd party flash ???

That mean is better to buy original flash to match your camera body instead of 3rd party flash ???
    It is better to know and to make decisions based on facts instead of hearsay. Lot's of 3rd party flashes around, read up about the limitations, then decide.
    EOS

wow
    i learn something today
    thanks guys
    Canon EOS 500D|BG-E5|18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 kit| 50mm f/1.8 II | 17-40mm f/4L | 580EXII
    HOLGA GCFN 120

the most safest way

cheers
    to continue press hex key , to return to main menu press star