Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shooting under exposed??

Blog Entries

Default Re: Shooting under exposed??

Quote Originally Posted by Diavonex View Post
    That's an expensive looking mini tripod.
    i bought mine a long long time ago
    it has paid for itself many time over

Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    i bought mine a long long time ago
    it has paid for itself many time over
    I bought mine > 10 years ago.

i use the SLIK MINI-PRO III tripod

Wah how much does this cost?

Quote Originally Posted by ziploc View Post
    So what have you learnt on the aperture, shutter and ISO?

Will mostly on the menu and playing around.

Being able to control shutter speed and ISO to take low light pictures without tripod ( Of couse with some struggle which lead to the question on this thread hahah )

F-stop seems to be still abit confusing cause i thought the higher f stops will make the entire picture look clear but it doesn't happen all the time.

Am trying to make a point to shoot from M mode all the time and with the pictures taken, i try to make adjustment then... But i guess there are pros and cons to them especially when you are taking night shots without tripod. Faster shutter speed = higher iso = noisy picture.

What i am surprise ( Maybe asking too much from my camera ) is that in a bright restaurant, 1/60 shutter speed still create a under exposed picture at F4.5 ISO100.....

I guess thats where all the faster and lower Fstops lens market is huh.....

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    Ask yourself...... what kind of QC you have laid down for your photos?
    Well as a newb, i guess we only have one general term.... Sharp! Which is the reason that i want a fast shutter ( Minimise hand shake ) even in low lighting so came out with this funny idea thinking that if i were to take a ISO 100 with fast shutter, the noise can last longer on my photoshop brightness edit before showing.....

Hahahahah

Please bear with me as im exploring all possibility ( Sometime its nonsense but hey.... im a newb and thats what they do..... Stupid things )

Cheers!

This 7.5" tripod is very handy and portable. You can put it on a wall, car roof or table.

Wow yours look so pro... I was thinking of the one that looks like a toy with individual legs that can bend to your liking one.... But i think yours might be a better idea.

Btw you said that you can put the tripod on the wall? I don't think you meant wall right??

Thanks alot for the idea of purchasing a 7.5" though. thats a great suggestion.

Cheers!

i use the SLIK MINI-PRO III tripod

Amazing this is even better!!!! Or at least it looks very good......

How much are one of those?

Oh and while we are in this tripod question, what is the price of a good tripod?

Thanks alot

Quote Originally Posted by Drudkh View Post
    In that case, I can't think of a way to help you. If in anyway possible, a Gorillapod can be handy. It is small and easy to bring along.
    Ha!!! So this thing is called a gorillapod...!! This is the one that i was thinking to get... ( it looks more like octopuspod though.... But i saw a few 7.5" tripod the bros were having and they look great...... Am lost on which one to get now.....

How much does these cost?

Cheers!

Well actually what happen is that my friend went to germany on a holiday and took the shot of the dome. She didn't have a tripod and her ISO was still at 100. Its a canon 450D btw I played around with this picture ( the only one she had that was still ok according to her standard ) and felt that the photoshop might help in terms of lighting which lead to my question.

1)

2)

Eh...... how come the picture so small???

Anyway... due to environment ( As in its dark on the whole ) , picture did not look noisy.

Cheers!
    Last edited by ziploc; 12th September 2009 at 01:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by conkeychua View Post
    Because you link to the thumbnail, not the big image.
    EOS

F-stop seems to be still abit confusing cause i thought the higher f stops will make the entire picture look clear but it doesn't happen all the time.
    Higher f-stop as in wider or narrower? And what does "entire picture look clear" mean? If you're talking about camera shake, aperture setting will not help, you need to control the shutter speed as already mentioned to you in your other thread. Main use of aperture is to control the DOF. For shallow DOF only the subject at the focusing point will be clear.

Am trying to make a point to shoot from M mode all the time and with the pictures taken, i try to make adjustment then...
    I suggest you start with A or S mode. To use M mode you will need to have a good understanding of the basics like relation between aperture/shutter/ISO, stops counting, various metering mode, and proper use of your camera's light meter. Making bad shots with incorrect exposure and then try to adjust them later in PS is not the right way.

What i am surprise ( Maybe asking too much from my camera ) is that in a bright restaurant, 1/60 shutter speed still create a under exposed picture at F4.5 ISO100.....

I guess thats where all the faster and lower Fstops lens market is huh.....
    There is no surprise here. ISO100 f/4.5 1/60 is really not enough for most restaurant, even brightly lit ones. And getting correct exposure has nothing to do with fast lens. Learning how to use your camera properly is the key.

Because you're using the url to the thumbnails. I corrected for you.

Anyway... due to environment ( As in its dark on the whole ) , picture did not look noisy.
    Not really true. Look at the sky of the large version of 2nd pic, it is very patchy.

Higher f-stop as in wider or narrower? And what does "entire picture look clear" mean? If you're talking about camera shake, aperture setting will not help, you need to control the shutter speed as already mentioned to you in your other thread. Main use of aperture is to control the DOF. For shallow DOF only the subject at the focusing point will be clear..
    I mean that if the F-stop is at lowest - Wider at about 1.8 it creates a bokeh right? ( Or at least what i understand ) but when i need it to have clarity on the entire scenery background with the subject, i increase the F-stops to 22 for example and sometimes depending on lens, the subject is still sharp with background blur. It might be a lens thingy as i was using a 55-250mm... Or it might be the back ground to far or too near the subject?

I suggest you start with A or S mode. To use M mode you will need to have a good understanding of the basics like relation between aperture/shutter/ISO, stops counting, various metering mode, and proper use of your camera's light meter. Making bad shots with incorrect exposure and then try to adjust them later in PS is not the right way...
    Usually when i know that i need to take picture that i do not have time to trial and error, i would just put it into one of those modes then take first talk later heheh

There is no surprise here. ISO100 f/4.5 1/60 is really not enough for most restaurant, even brightly lit ones. And getting correct exposure has nothing to do with fast lens. Learning how to use your camera properly is the key.
    So im expecting too much out of my camera i guess... haha... Am now on the shoot more will learn more theory.... and reading up supplements the rest.....

Because you're using the url to the thumbnails. I corrected for you..
    Thanks alot bro... Will need to check on how that happened cause i remembered that there was only one URL when i clicked properties.

Not really true. Look at the sky of the large version of 2nd pic, it is very patchy.
    I guess that the problem with not having enough lights in your pictures than.... and i have been convienced and have learnt alot on what to do and what not to do with PS.... Shall not start another question asking about if i shoot slightly over exposed and use PS to dim it wahahahaha..

Cheers bro!!

Quote Originally Posted by conkeychua
    2)

Cheers!
    har??? really? you consider this picture to be "not noisy"?
    If you notice, the cathedral is totally 'blown'. There is hardly any detail left.
    The sky looks like a water-colour painting, not a photograph.

regarding your question on higher f-stop, reducing the aperture (increasing the f-number) will result in greater depth of field. But it also reduces the amount of light entering the camera. Thus, the shutter speed will be reduced to compensate. If the shutter speed is slow enough, it introduces motion blur. Perhaps you shook the camera, or things in the background (eg trees) moved in the wind, etc...
    Exploring! :)

Blog Entries

I bought mine > 10 years ago.
    mine is about 15 - 20 years old already
    Wah how much does this cost?
    Amazing this is even better!!!! Or at least it looks very good......

How much are one of those?

Oh and while we are in this tripod question, what is the price of a good tripod?

Thanks alot
    last time i think it was around $50

was wondering there is a mode in canon where u can take 3 pic continously. under, normal and over expose right? how do u do tat?
    Canon 450D/ F1.8 50MM/ EF-S 55- 250MM/ IS 18 - 15 MM

Quote Originally Posted by hyori View Post
    was wondering there is a mode in canon where u can take 3 pic continously. under, normal and over expose right? how do u do tat?
    That's called "Bracketing". Go read the manual.

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    har??? really? you consider this picture to be "not noisy"?
    If you notice, the cathedral is totally 'blown'. There is hardly any detail left.
    The sky looks like a water-colour painting, not a photograph.

regarding your question on higher f-stop, reducing the aperture (increasing the f-number) will result in greater depth of field. But it also reduces the amount of light entering the camera. Thus, the shutter speed will be reduced to compensate. If the shutter speed is slow enough, it introduces motion blur. Perhaps you shook the camera, or things in the background (eg trees) moved in the wind, etc...
    Well bro, i think it might be slightly better if its taken by me.... And i really mean only slightly because i learn how to use a higher ISO and not shoot it at 100.... Hahaha

Please dun challange me and shoot me on this one ok........

Cheers!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12