Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How do you shoot candids on the street

Default Re: How do you shoot candids on the street

Quote Originally Posted by dannysantos View Post
    I agree with this one... don't hide the fact that you're shooting people. Stand in the middle of the crowd, and just click. The worst that can happen is someone quickly turns away if they're not comfortable about being photographed.
    Good piece of advise. At least I am more confident to take street shoots now.

I try to make the subjects look good in the photographs. I've had the lovely experience of having 4 subjects (1 male, 3 females) who saw their photographs in my flickr stream, they actually contacted me saying that they were really happy about it You have no idea how great that feels as a photographer
    hi danny good of you to reply here, big fan of yours hehe, planning to do street portraits too but planning to do it really candidly without the subject's knowlege hehehe..but you said you made it obvious that you were taking shots, i'm now confused as to what is the better approach or which one is more "ethical" coz i think i can achieve these shots without the subject's knowledge, and yeah of course i will sneak shoot but with good intentions, just don't want to be obvious...hmmm
    Last edited by gimumancer; 24th October 2009 at 09:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LBL2009 View Post
    My 18-55mm lens does not allow me to zoom in at people at far distance and I don't have the courage of pointing my camera at people nearer to me for fear of offending them.

How do you take candids on people without a zoom lens?
    shoot at the 55mm end of your kit lens (80mm focal length @ 35mm equivalent). go in close to fill the frame, be patient, wait for the right moment (the Decisive Moment, some say), and if you are really shy, shoot while your subject is looking away. keep the composition simple, develop an eye for the unusual, and learn to react within a fraction of a fraction of a split second. the results will be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Anjinnete Ross View Post
    With due respects, may I suggest you take a look at this website www.in-public.com. You will see a world of difference in what others perceive as street photos.

It appears to me that street photography is a lot more than shooting with long lenses, or surreptiously from the hips at certain group of people.
    www.in-public.com gets a thumbs up from me too. highly recommended.

For streets and candid, I just shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by gimumancer View Post
    hi danny good of you to reply here, big fan of yours hehe, planning to do street portraits too but planning to do it really candidly without the subject's knowlege hehehe..but you said you made it obvious that you were taking shots, i'm now confused as to what is the better approach or which one is more "ethical" coz i think i can achieve these shots without the subject's knowledge, and yeah of course i will sneak shoot but with good intentions, just don't want to be obvious...hmmm
    Hey thanks, man Well, the key for me is to capture the subject right before you are noticed or right at the moment you are noticed, so you will still get a candid shot. I don't hide that fact that I'm shooting strangers, but they don't know exactly who I'm shooting. And I raise my camera only when I'm about to shoot
    Last edited by dannysantos; 25th October 2009 at 09:51 PM.

good advices. thanks for sharing

With due respects, may I suggest you take a look at this website www.in-public.com. You will see a world of difference in what others perceive as street photos.

It appears to me that street photography is a lot more than shooting with long lenses, or surreptiously from the hips at certain group of people.
    Thanks for the good link.

I was surprised I was mentioned in this thread. Well, in my defense, I'd like to think that these are not sneak shots nor voyeuristic shots since I stand in the middle of the crowd, wait till the subject is near enough, and click. Everyone in the area pretty much knows I''m shooting people, especially the subjects (I use an 85mm, and I don't crop my shots, so they're quite near). I'm just fortunate enough that I haven't had any violent reactions so far.

On the topic of my shooting 'all girls'... well, being a photographer, I shoot what interests me. And being a heterosexual male, girls interest me. So if you put a beautiful girl in the middle of the crowd, naturally that sparks my interest But! I don't shoot boobs, or butts, or upskirts, or anything that may be perceived as sexual... I'm not a maniac

Oh, and I do shoot men too.. most just doesn't come out interesting enough for me to post online.

Hi danny,

your photos left a big WOW and omg on my face, they are superb. I am very interested in street photgraphy and was hoping someone to at least teach me some basic, do u teach lesson?
    "Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool"

Quote Originally Posted by ryansinho View Post
    Hi danny,

your photos left a big WOW and omg on my face, they are superb. I am very interested in street photgraphy and was hoping someone to at least teach me some basic, do u teach lesson?
    Hi ryan,

Sorry, I don't have teaching sessions on photography... but you can always just send me a PM to ask about shooting and i'll try to give the best answer :-)

I would suggest that you do not try to take pictures in a sneaky manner. Many ordinary people would not object to you taking their pictures, but many would get offended if they think you are sneaky with bad intentions.
    So you are saying u represent the "many ordinary people"? or u're just guessing someone wouldn't punch u in the face if u r not sneaky?

i guess the latter?

WHo really cares if u r sneaky or not if the shot is on the table? who r u to tell others whether the shot was taken sneakily or not? were u there? of cos not. SO stop talking like u were there. Or laying judgement on whats moral and what's not?
    as long as it looks good, really, do u even care if one uses a zoom or a holga? Does it matter if u almost got killed to take the shot? I think not.

i guess shooting in India or some other 3rd world country where u point the camera right at the poor kid's face and ask them to smile is a real hero photographing.

PS: To call Dannysantos's streetshots "sneaky shots of girls" must be the biggest joke i've heard all year.

Hey danny, i was wondering in your "street portrait" how do you get the lighting focus on the subject and darken all else around it?

did you use photoediting software for that?

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth1704 View Post
    Hey danny, i was wondering in your "street portrait" how do you get the lighting focus on the subject and darken all else around it?

did you use photoediting software for that?
    Hi Kenneth,

Just find an area that's mostly shaded, and has some spots of light coming through, then set your camera to 'spot metering'. As soon as a subject passes through that light, focus on a lighted area on the subject, then click if done right, you should get the same effect. The dark areas are basically the other subjects that are in the shade/shadows.

PP involves the usual shapening and adjustment in contrast, and the occasional vignette. Hope this helps

Hi Kenneth,

Just find an area that's mostly shaded, and has some spots of light coming through, then set your camera to 'spot metering'. As soon as a subject passes through that light, focus on a lighted area on the subject, then click if done right, you should get the same effect. The dark areas are basically the other subjects that are in the shade/shadows.

PP involves the usual shapening and adjustment in contrast, and the occasional vignette. Hope this helps
    Brilliant!
    Thanks for sharing

Hi Kenneth,

Always thought of venturing into street photography oneday, imo is one of the toughest aspect of photography. Must admit ur works truly inspire.. Keep up the gd work Danny~
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

Get a small camera. I highly recommend GRD3. Most hardcore street photographers use Leica Ms or film cameras, because (i) less shutter lag; and (ii) shutter is silent.

Street photography is essentially stealth photography. Get up as close as possible and take the shot without the subject knowing.

Street photography is also possible with dSLR, but you will need a telephoto zoom to shoot from far away, otherwise the subject will easily notice or hear the dSLR. I have tried DSLR for street photo but I do not like it because (i) subject always notices me; and (ii) the telephoto zoom gives a look that I do not like.

most pro street photographers are at rangefinder forum

Hey Danny,

Thanks for sharing. will try it soon!

use normal digital camera which has 600mm focal length

Nikon coolpix P90 seems good, sometimes i do consider getting a digital camera for their ultra zoom.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123