Thread: Lens-change/swapping habits

Default Lens-change/swapping habits

For experienced photographers and semi-pros, most of you have more than 1 lens,
    what are your lens changing habits? When / How do you decide when to change lens? Ain't you afraid of missing a shot in changing lens? Or even fumbling the 2 lens and dropping one?

It would be useful to us if you could include details in yr replies, the nature of the EVENT you are covering( wedding, park outings, car show), and how do you decide when to change lens, and what kind of lens

No, this isn't a "what lens should i buy" thread. Its more of a thread to explore the practicality of changing lens and owning multiple lens. (Should i get a 18-200mm or 18-55 and 55-200mm?)

I have a theory that the reason many people have different opinions about what lens to get/buy is that they are all shooting / covering different kinds of events according to their own interest anyway so there isnt a "one-lens-configuration-fits-all".

Hopefully people reading this thread can understand what they are covering and buy lens according to what they are shooting and not what "everyone seems to be buying"-kind of config.

Cheers.

Default Re: Lens-change/swapping habits

The ans is actually very simple. U change according to what lens u have and what u want to shoot. That's it.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus7777777 View Post
    For experienced photographers and semi-pros, most of you have more than 1 lens,
    what are your lens changing habits? When / How do you decide when to change lens? Ain't you afraid of missing a shot in changing lens? Or even fumbling the 2 lens and dropping one?

It would be useful to us if you could include details in yr replies, the nature of the EVENT you are covering( wedding, park outings, car show), and how do you decide when to change lens, and what kind of lens

No, this isn't a "what lens should i buy" thread. Its more of a thread to explore the practicality of changing lens and owning multiple lens. (Should i get a 18-200mm or 18-55 and 55-200mm?)

I have a theory that the reason many people have different opinions about what lens to get/buy is that they are all shooting / covering different kinds of events according to their own interest anyway so there isnt a "one-lens-configuration-fits-all".

Hopefully people reading this thread can understand what they are covering and buy lens according to what they are shooting and not what "everyone seems to be buying"-kind of config.

Cheers.
    For me I will assess the situation and then decide what kind of lens to use. Of cos there will be times that I need to change lens. I would try to make it fast and occasionally I will missed some shots.

Therefore when going for some serious shooting, I will being 2 cameras so I would not miss anything.
    E510, E3,E5, EP1,EP3 & OMD EM5

U have to take ur chances, 18-200 will do it all, but u have to fork out a big amount of money for that, when a 18-55 with 55-250 can handle the same thing for 1/2 the price.

For myself, im using a Crumpler 7MDH, so the lens in my bag would be facing down with front cap off with hood, i will remove the rear cap then remove my lens(on body), caps on, interchange the lens, keep 1 back, mount the other. whole sequence should take less then 10seconds. Hopefully i dont sound messy typing those. =p

Lens, was using Tamron 17-50 and Canon EF 70-200 F4L for photoshoot and autography events.

Very simple. You change the lens when you need a different focal lenght to do the job.

I.e. the lens you have on is too short to reach, then change to a longer lens. Or if the lens you have on is too long and is not able to get all your desired subjects into view, then change to a wider lens.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

For me, I used my camera primarily to shoot aeroplanes. 18-200MM is sufficent to take side shot of the aircraft, but if I do wish to take up closeup shot, I would have to change lens to 100-400mm lens. So it all depends what kind of shots are you taking!

-do your homework on the event you are shooting. its best to know the rough timing of whats going to happen before or after which segment.

-plan your shots in your mind, figure out before hand if u wanna zoom all the way in and see pimples on xmm's face or go wider capturing all the excited xdd snapping away at xmm.

-if you really decide to change lens, be aware of the environment i.e sand blowing around, insects flying around etc. and try to do it like F1 pit stop.

if you are aware of the above, you will know what to bring, when to change or even better still use what lens for the whole event.

cheers
    Last edited by hayleymyzee; 11th September 2009 at 09:23 AM.

You switch to the lens to suit what you want to shoot. If you intend to shoot close-ups of the upcoming F1, use a fast telephoto, for instance. It's about knowing what you want to shoot.

My 2 cents:

For leisure walkabout, you can take your own time to swap lens most of the time (let's don't talk about some fancy candids that only happen in split seconds).

So, now for event. Of course it's good to have 2 bodies with different focal length coverage lenses mounted on each body. But if you have just 1 body and you are planning to change lens for better coverage, this is how I usually do... Study the flow, capture one wide angle (with normal zoom lens) for each new "program" to show the environment, then swap lens to tele-focus on some other things. Before the end of the program, switch back to the normal zoom lens and play around, also to prepare the wide focal length for next new agenda to kick in.
    思斌的部落格 - szeping.com
    Wedding/Event Photography - 10eyesGallery.com