Thread: Lifespan:- SLR vs DSLR.

Default Lifespan:- SLR vs DSLR.

2 nikon F90x are with me for about 4 years already and still shooting.
    1 F100 for a year.
    1 F100 for half a year.
    gears are under heavy shooting almost every weekends.
    so far no major problems.........

i did not have any DSLR....can owners share a bit on this???
    just wish to gather more infor before i step into digital.
    thanks.

I don't think there are many major reliability issues with DSLRs and they have been around long enough for them to surface if there were any. Just remember that you have to compare like for like... so an F100 is better built than the more expensive D100, which is based on the F80 in reality.

If anything, the strain on some DSLR shutters is less because exposure is electronically and not mechanically controlled, so the shutters can be less precise and built more robustly and take less wear and tear. However bear in mind that you also have more bits and bops that can go wrong, generally electronic, while some worries (film transport for instance) you no longer have to worry about. As for CCD/CMOS chips, they have proven generally to last the length of the camera without major problems.

I do not know what infos you need on DSLR ... this is the in things and eventually you will have to venture in. IMO, SLR should be able to outlast DSLR.

Hm.. my Olympus OM2n is probably 15-20 years old and still going strong.

i do own a couple of those P&S digital cameras over the last few years and both of them last only a year plus and went totaly dead.....just wondering if those DSLR's lifespan say can last may be about 3 years or more.......

I would say the "click factor" plays a large part. I would estimate that the average consumer SLR goes through no more than 50 rolls of film in its lifetime (we're not talking about professionals or keen enthusiasts). It's unlikely to fail during this time, except perhaps from drying out of lubricant from prolonged storage.

The average DSLR, on the other hand, can easily clock more than 10,000 exposures before it is put on the second hand market or delegated to a backup role when the owner upgrades. The chance of a shutter or button failure (among other things) is considerably higher, due to increased wear and tear.

Quote Originally Posted by jesser
    i do own a couple of those P&S digital cameras over the last few years and both of them last only a year plus and went totaly dead.....just wondering if those DSLR's lifespan say can last may be about 3 years or more.......
    gor wildly popular items like Canon AE-1, AE-1P, etc there are still a lot of spare parts in terms of cannibalizing. For less popular ones, I worry about proprietary batteries, electronic modules, AF modules, etc.

generally speaking, mechanical parts are harder to replace but easily to replicate. in time to come, DSLRs will definitely never outlive the mechanical/part electronic ones.

My Coolpix 950 is still going strong. It has just passed its 4th birthday. And it's not even a DSLR.

Totally mechanical cameras probably last the longest. The Leica cameras from the 50s are still going strong, and still fetch a good deal in the used market. My 15 year old Nikon FE is suffering some shutter problems at above 1/500 tho.

Regards
    CK

I think anything that has more components will have a higher risk of failure.