Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Malaysia, Miri

  1. #1

    Default Malaysia, Miri

    Hi,

    Just like to know if anyone has experience to Miri? I am deciding whether to join a package or to go free and easy(flight,hotel,places of interest separately) to explore.

    Plan to go 3 to 4 days with opportunity to shoot as well. Would like to visit the caves too. Any tips and advises?

    Appreciate the input. thanks all!

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Toa Payoh
    Posts
    43

    Default Re: Malaysia, Miri

    Quote Originally Posted by AlvinT View Post
    Hi,

    Just like to know if anyone has experience to Miri? I am deciding whether to join a package or to go free and easy(flight,hotel,places of interest separately) to explore.

    Plan to go 3 to 4 days with opportunity to shoot as well. Would like to visit the caves too. Any tips and advises?

    Appreciate the input. thanks all!
    Hi Alvin,

    I'll be heading to Miri next week for the first time. For relatively good (and usually unbiased) travel advice, check out Lonely Planet's Thorntree discussion forums: here's the section for SE Asian islands: http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntre...mID=23&start=0

    Hope that helps!
    Anthony

  3. #3

    Default Re: Malaysia, Miri

    i am east malaysian aka sarawakian. I think taking the local tour to the cave or getting around the places of interest. else you will be very lost unless you really do enough research or you have local friends to bring you around..

  4. #4

    Default Re: Malaysia, Miri

    Quote Originally Posted by andagos View Post
    Hi Alvin,

    I'll be heading to Miri next week for the first time. For relatively good (and usually unbiased) travel advice, check out Lonely Planet's Thorntree discussion forums: here's the section for SE Asian islands: http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntre...mID=23&start=0

    Hope that helps!
    Anthony
    Thanks Anthony! will have a look at the forums. Looking forward to you sharing your experience there. Have a safe and good trip!

  5. #5

    Default Re: Malaysia, Miri

    Quote Originally Posted by cfengnet View Post
    i am east malaysian aka sarawakian. I think taking the local tour to the cave or getting around the places of interest. else you will be very lost unless you really do enough research or you have local friends to bring you around..
    Hi! Will it be better to book a full package tour to those places of interest in S'pore or over in Sarawak? Thanks.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Malaysia, Miri

    Quote Originally Posted by AlvinT View Post
    Hi,

    Just like to know if anyone has experience to Miri? I am deciding whether to join a package or to go free and easy(flight,hotel,places of interest separately) to explore.

    Plan to go 3 to 4 days with opportunity to shoot as well. Would like to visit the caves too. Any tips and advises?

    Appreciate the input. thanks all!

    You probably like to explore Mulu Park or visit the Marina

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Toa Payoh
    Posts
    43

    Default Re: Malaysia, Miri

    You might want to get in touch with Mulu National Park for bookings. Here is a list of forest activities that they run, or that can be done at the park: http://www.mulupark.com/htm/forest_a....htm#fromcamp5 Definitely best to make reservations in advance by emailing enquiries@mulupark.com.

    Hope to share some shots once I get back!

    Quote Originally Posted by AlvinT View Post
    Thanks Anthony! will have a look at the forums. Looking forward to you sharing your experience there. Have a safe and good trip!

  8. #8

    Default Re: Malaysia, Miri

    Nice place
    Check out the thousands of bats at dusk and do stay a few nights at the Royal Mulu Resort.

    Now you can fly direct from Changi to Kuching / Miri and onto Mulu via propeller plane.

    Great place for canoeing, caving and rock climbing.

    Nikon D750; FM2; FG; 55mm Micro Nikkor; 28-300 VR; 70-200 VR; Nikon V1 + 10-30mm

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Toa Payoh
    Posts
    43

    Default Re: Malaysia, Miri

    Quote Originally Posted by AlvinT View Post
    Hi! Will it be better to book a full package tour to those places of interest in S'pore or over in Sarawak? Thanks.
    For treks in Mulu, it makes sense to try to book in advance. I ended up arriving at Mulu and it turned out that the trip to the Pinnacles that I was banking on was canceled. Ultimately a majority of trips are led by private tour groups, so it may be better to contact them in advance if you want surety that you'll actually go on the trip! Otherwise, trips to Niah Caves, Lambir Hills, etc. all in the vicinity of Miri are things you can organize on your own and save the money/hassle that working with a private operator would incur. You'll be responsible for your transportation, which is pretty easy even if you use the long-distance bus stand at Pujut (outside of Miri's downtown area).

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Kuala Lumpur
    Posts
    46

    Default Re: Malaysia, Miri

    Quote Originally Posted by andagos View Post
    For treks in Mulu, it makes sense to try to book in advance. I ended up arriving at Mulu and it turned out that the trip to the Pinnacles that I was banking on was canceled. Ultimately a majority of trips are led by private tour groups, so it may be better to contact them in advance if you want surety that you'll actually go on the trip! Otherwise, trips to Niah Caves, Lambir Hills, etc. all in the vicinity of Miri are things you can organize on your own and save the money/hassle that working with a private operator would incur. You'll be responsible for your transportation, which is pretty easy even if you use the long-distance bus stand at Pujut (outside of Miri's downtown area).
    If no advance booking you can always go to the hostel dormitory at the Mulu Park HQ and chat to the backpackers. They usually look for people to share out the guide fees.

    Mulu is an amazing place, try the half-day caving. It's dirty and fun.




    Breathtaking view on the way to the Pinnacles :

    Last edited by OSFlanker; 1st October 2009 at 02:32 PM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •