Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

Thread: Hi I need help in choosing a DSLR

  1. #1

    Default Hi I need help in choosing a DSLR

    Hi Guys,

    I just joined in and is relatively new to photography although I have used a consumer camera before. My old camera that I am currently using is a 5m Casio Exilim which I bought 5 years ago. I am thinking of changing to a DSLR as I want to take better photos of my newborn baby and and the Exilim .

    Also I know that a DSLR have a better shutter speed so I can take photos of my baby even though she moves a lot. However I am not sure which DSLR to buy. I am thinking of buying an entry level DSLR so that I can practice before moving up to the next level.

    Any brands and models to recommend? I have read some posts and find that the D3000 and EOS-500D is quite good but think that they are more of a mid-entry level. Including the accessories, what would the commitment be like? Thanks!

  2. #2
    Senior Member Lomographer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Paterson Road
    Posts
    2,047

    Default Re: Hi I need help in choosing a DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by Koksters View Post
    Hi Guys,

    I just joined in and is relatively new to photography although I have used a consumer camera before. My old camera that I am currently using is a 5m Casio Exilim which I bought 5 years ago. I am thinking of changing to a DSLR as I want to take better photos of my newborn baby and and the Exilim .

    Also I know that a DSLR have a better shutter speed so I can take photos of my baby even though she moves a lot. However I am not sure which DSLR to buy. I am thinking of buying an entry level DSLR so that I can practice before moving up to the next level.

    Any brands and models to recommend? I have read some posts and find that the D3000 and EOS-500D is quite good but think that they are more of a mid-entry level. Including the accessories, what would the commitment be like? Thanks!
    The D3000 is basic entry-level cam, while the 500D is alr a mid-range cam. i think you meant the D90? Both are great cams, and if you're afraid of not knowing which freebies to get, you can get your gear at the upcoming comex show, where prices are higher then photographic supplies stores but they throw in alot of freebies and you can ask for more or even lower the prices, all depending on your bargaining skills. Choosing the 500D and the D90 is a wise choice, as they are not basic entry-level cams, you need not upgrade them so soon when you feel it's strapping you down (esp for nikon as basic entry-level cams have no af motor, meaning you cannot autofocus old lenses, and only can af the new AF-S lenses, however canon has no such issue).

    Maybe can tell us your budget so we can further advice you? The comex show is in 3 days... get planning!
    Pentax K-x

  3. #3
    Senior Member jtsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Yishun
    Posts
    2,081

    Default Re: Hi I need help in choosing a DSLR

    Welcome to CS! http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245883 u may find this thread useful.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Hi I need help in choosing a DSLR

    Most important is your budget, but other than that, the "what DSLR to buy?" question gets asked 1-2 times a week on here... Make sure to try all DSLR brands, such as Canon, Nikon, Sony, Pentak and Olympus. Find out which one feels most comfortable for you and has the features you want.
    Alpha

  5. #5
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Hi I need help in choosing a DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by Koksters View Post
    Hi Guys,

    I just joined in and is relatively new to photography although I have used a consumer camera before. My old camera that I am currently using is a 5m Casio Exilim which I bought 5 years ago. I am thinking of changing to a DSLR as I want to take better photos of my newborn baby and and the Exilim .

    Also I know that a DSLR have a better shutter speed so I can take photos of my baby even though she moves a lot. However I am not sure which DSLR to buy. I am thinking of buying an entry level DSLR so that I can practice before moving up to the next level.

    Any brands and models to recommend? I have read some posts and find that the D3000 and EOS-500D is quite good but think that they are more of a mid-entry level. Including the accessories, what would the commitment be like? Thanks!

    Welcome to Clubsnap!
    The point you raised (which I highlighted with large font) is a misguided one. Don't expect the DSLR to magically make your photos better. You might need to invest further in external flash, faster lenses or something...
    Work out a realistic budget, do some homework on your own (don't expect to be spoonfed with information) on the different brands and models out there, and we can help you along the way.

    Some websites you can check out:
    www.kenrockwell.com
    [he's kind of a Nikon fanboy, so don't take his words like the gospel truth!]

    www.dpreview.com
    [one of the more popular digicam review sites]


    by the way, shutter speed can only be "faster" or "slower"... No such thing is BETTER shutter speed.
    Exploring! :)

  6. #6

    Default Re: Hi I need help in choosing a DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by Koksters View Post
    Hi Guys,

    I just joined in and is relatively new to photography although I have used a consumer camera before. My old camera that I am currently using is a 5m Casio Exilim which I bought 5 years ago. I am thinking of changing to a DSLR as I want to take better photos of my newborn baby and and the Exilim .

    Also I know that a DSLR have a better shutter speed so I can take photos of my baby even though she moves a lot. However I am not sure which DSLR to buy. I am thinking of buying an entry level DSLR so that I can practice before moving up to the next level.

    Any brands and models to recommend? I have read some posts and find that the D3000 and EOS-500D is quite good but think that they are more of a mid-entry level. Including the accessories, what would the commitment be like? Thanks!

    I say go with the one you could afford most. Other then the highest level (read: most expensive), the categorisation of entry level and intermediate level is way over emphasised.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Galdor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Planet Gaia
    Posts
    9,544

    Default Re: Hi I need help in choosing a DSLR

    Hello...welcome.

    As i have mentioned many times in this forum that all entry level DSLR cameras from every brand is able to give you decent results if you use them within their limits.

    Go to a shop to try out the different cameras offered from Nikon, Canon, Sony, Pentax, Olympus and Panasonic to see which is more comfortable in your hands and which cam allows you to access the functions and menu easier. Do note that some cameras have image stabiliser in the body and others have it on individual lenses, so it's up to you to choose.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

  8. #8

    Default Re: Hi I need help in choosing a DSLR

    Hi! and welcome to the forums.

    1st advice is free
    Use window or outdoor light to grab those baby shots. This applies for any camera type you use.

    2nd advice is not free
    As the others have said, look to the other brands as well.
    Pentax, Sony, Olympus can be good value for money as well.

    Lastly, I'd recommend getting a flash and use it for bounce flash no matter what brand of DSLR you decide on. The action stopping ability of the flash will let you have more keepers for baby/kid photos. Else, get a fast lens like a 35mm f2 or 50mm f1.4 and try to use advice #1 as much as possible

  9. #9

    Default Re: Hi I need help in choosing a DSLR

    Thanks guys for the advice.

    Actually I was also thinking of buying my DSLR in comex show. Then I saw some ads by Audio House that they selling cheaper than comex. Not sure if the freebies are the same or not so still considering whether to buy at comex.

    My budget including accessories is about $1.5k, so hoping can get something good enough with that amount. I am planning to buy body + kit since I have not much experience in lens yet and maybe a dry cabinet (dun wanna spoil my 1st DSLR!). Those kits that I see coming with the lens are 18-105mm. Is that good enough to take baby photos when the baby like to move?

  10. #10
    Senior Member Galdor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Planet Gaia
    Posts
    9,544

    Default Re: Hi I need help in choosing a DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by Koksters View Post
    Thanks guys for the advice.

    Actually I was also thinking of buying my DSLR in comex show. Then I saw some ads by Audio House that they selling cheaper than comex. Not sure if the freebies are the same or not so still considering whether to buy at comex.

    My budget including accessories is about $1.5k, so hoping can get something good enough with that amount. I am planning to buy body + kit since I have not much experience in lens yet and maybe a dry cabinet (dun wanna spoil my 1st DSLR!). Those kits that I see coming with the lens are 18-105mm. Is that good enough to take baby photos when the baby like to move?
    Glad that you included a dry cabinet in your list. Yes, that's very important. Most kit lenses are from 18-55mm. To shoot kids, you may wnat to add a cheap 50mm f1.8 lens or a flash.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Johor Bahru, Malaysia
    Posts
    1,763

    Default Re: Hi I need help in choosing a DSLR

    comex

    u probably wan a len like the 50 f/1.8 for portraits.
    it's nice once u stop it down to f/2.8
    Stirring up emotions with pics - cyliew

  12. #12

    Default Re: Hi I need help in choosing a DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by ijnek View Post
    comex

    u probably wan a len like the 50 f/1.8 for portraits.
    it's nice once u stop it down to f/2.8
    ijnek, do you mean I should go to the retail shops like AP or CP or audio house instead of comex?

  13. #13

    Default Re: Hi I need help in choosing a DSLR

    My wife just called me and advised me to go for D80 instead of D90 since it is cheaper and their functions are the same. All her friends recommend her to buy from Nikkon but from what I know is that D80 is already out of production. Can we still send the DSLR for repairing if it spoils in the future. Scared the service center dun have the spare parts!

  14. #14
    Senior Member Lomographer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Paterson Road
    Posts
    2,047

    Default Re: Hi I need help in choosing a DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by Koksters View Post
    My wife just called me and advised me to go for D80 instead of D90 since it is cheaper and their functions are the same. All her friends recommend her to buy from Nikkon but from what I know is that D80 is already out of production. Can we still send the DSLR for repairing if it spoils in the future. Scared the service center dun have the spare parts!
    D80 is not obsolete yet, so it's not much of a worries in context of spare parts.

    in fact i just sent my D70s for repair 3 mths ago, they still have all the parts for it.

    the D80 goes for about 800(i think, check bs to be sure), and the D90 is going for 1300 with lens... minus 200 odd dollars for lens, you're only paying extra 300 dollars for new technology, bigger LCD screen, more features (in-camera editor, sepia/b&w mode) and video, which may come in handy in some times.

    i would get the D90 if i were you.

    you weight the pros and cons, and decide
    Pentax K-x

  15. #15

    Default Re: Hi I need help in choosing a DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by Lomographer View Post
    D80 is not obsolete yet, so it's not much of a worries in context of spare parts.

    in fact i just sent my D70s for repair 3 mths ago, they still have all the parts for it.

    the D80 goes for about 800(i think, check bs to be sure), and the D90 is going for 1300 with lens... minus 200 odd dollars for lens, you're only paying extra 300 dollars for new technology, bigger LCD screen, more features (in-camera editor, sepia/b&w mode) and video, which may come in handy in some times.

    i would get the D90 if i were you.

    you weight the pros and cons, and decide
    Yup, i got quoted about $900 for D80 incld kit. Btw, you were saying D90 is going for $1300 now with lens, from where ah? I checked the Nikon price list in the forum a D90 kit is going for at least $1600++

  16. #16
    Senior Member Lomographer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Paterson Road
    Posts
    2,047

    Default Re: Hi I need help in choosing a DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by Koksters View Post
    Yup, i got quoted about $900 for D80 incld kit. Btw, you were saying D90 is going for $1300 now with lens, from where ah? I checked the Nikon price list in the forum a D90 kit is going for at least $1600++
    i meant 1500, sorry.

    all prices quoted are a just a guide, do not claim these prices at any stores.

    everyone gets different prices...
    Pentax K-x

  17. #17

    Default Re: Hi I need help in choosing a DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by Koksters View Post
    ijnek, do you mean I should go to the retail shops like AP or CP or audio house instead of comex?
    Forget audio house. We have a list of recommended stores, like John 3:16, MS Color, Cathay, OP. Alan Photo is risky already, they've conned some newbies.
    Alpha

  18. #18

    Default Re: Hi I need help in choosing a DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Forget audio house. We have a list of recommended stores, like John 3:16, MS Color, Cathay, OP. Alan Photo is risky already, they've conned some newbies.
    The reason why I mentioned audio house was becoz they had an ad saying lowest price guaranteed or your money back, competing with those at comex. Anyway does the following shops that you mentioned participate in comex?

  19. #19

    Default Re: Hi I need help in choosing a DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by Koksters View Post
    The reason why I mentioned audio house was becoz they had an ad saying lowest price guaranteed or your money back, competing with those at comex. Anyway does the following shops that you mentioned participate in comex?
    Comex is mainly a computer expo, not a photography sale. Usually, Nikon or Canon or Sony will participate directly.

    You will usually NOT get a good deal. If you do a search on here for "Comex deal" you will get the threads from the previous years. It's ALWAYS the same question... "Should I buy at Comex? can I get a good deal?"

    Hint: They will usually give useless freebies to help clear shelf space. And if you go to the normal shops during comex days, you can usually get the same deal, or an even better one, without all the stress of fighting the crowds.
    Alpha

  20. #20

    Default Re: Hi I need help in choosing a DSLR

    share some personal experience:

    when i first started photography, i have very little knowledge about product features, lens features, etc.. i started with a brand new canon 400d and a 18-55 kit lens (and i believe the majority started off with an entry level dslr + kit lens. its cheap and its getting cheaper!). 2 years down the road, even though the kit lens combi is cheap, i still feel that i should have bought a second hand camera + kit lens. reason being,
    1) its much much cheaper (i got mine brand new for about 1.3k and now its only worth $600 - $700 maybe even less if i sell them) to get a second hand camera body + kit lens combi. 2nd cameras + kit lens can produce very good images too! very good for learning!
    2) if you happen not to end up dwelling deeper into photography, its not that bad to chunk your 2nd hand camera in that drybox. (it has already depreciate enough when you buy it 2nd hand anyway) or you can decide to sell it away at a cheap price. Under ClubSNAP Photography Forums > Personal Classifieds section, you can buy and sell all the stuff be it 1st hand or 2nd hand!
    3) if you find yourself taking great pics and finds that the 2nd hand entry level camera is not able to perform, you can also sell it away with minimum loss and upgrade to a brand new higher end camera which by then, you will know why you want to get it, and appreciate it more!

    In anycase, if you're someone who just don't like to own 2nd hand things or you REALLY know what you're buying and want to get a new camera, do go to ClubSNAP Photography Forums > Marketplace > Price List to check out the prices of new camera bodies, lens, accessories! Very good updated market price! Equip yourself with the market price before you go and bargain! You can also compare it when you go down to Comex which i don't think they'll provide a better price over there, not to mention u hav to squeeze thru the crowd >_<'''

    about branding, i heard a lot saying "canon, nikon or sony, can't get anywhere wrong". personally, i think nikon and canon is the best =)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •