Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Battery Grip...it is really needed

Default Re: Battery Grip...it is really needed

It's Thread Starter

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    Mostly we are referring to Thread Starter, however, some do belong to "snapper" category, anyhow snap.
    Thanks for the replies...

Quote Originally Posted by Expat yorkshire View Post
    Does TS stand for "the Snapper" ?
    Pentax K-x

I have seen a lot of photographers using a battery grip . I this just for "pose value"

I am using the canon 450 and the battery life seems very long ... and if it runs out i just put in the spare. I can imagine in certain circumstance where you are shooting sport and taking many many shots you may need one but cant see when it would be needed in other circumstances
    so need it for vertical shots, it's easier...

some like it for pose value,

some need the size as their hands are bigger,

to each is own.

to me, a grip is a burden.

with a camera like the D700, i will try to lose all possible weight.
    Pentax K-x

If you do a search for "vertical grip" you'll actually come across similar discussions.

Realistically, the VG is great if you shoot in portrait mode a lot. At least on the Sony cameras they are very comfy too.

If you shoot in landscape and portrait mode, it may be easier to just turn the camera as needed and got for the "chicken wing" shot.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by grey_fox View Post
    Hehe Rubber_Duck, nice 10 reasons

Anyways, for myself, I'm using a BG for 2 main reasons.

1. Taking of potraits
    2. Join below my right thumb has issues, so stress at that point in my thumb joint is reduced when taking potraits or vertical shots.
    Thanks...!!!

cost aside, here's why im loving my grip. my experience is based using 40D, 70-200 2.8 IS, BG-E2n, 580exII

Pros:
    - Added weight - This lets me hold a camera a bit more stable for low-light photography. this is true for scenarios where a mono or tripod isn't available or permitted. the system is more stable. have you noticed that luxury cars are heavier than normal sedans? BMW even advertises its 50-50, front to back weight ratio. same analogy. using a 70-200 2.8, the system is more balanced with a grip. 1400g (lens) & 822grams (body) + 300grams (grip)

- Better Ergonomics - when you're using a 70-200 2.8 and shooting portraits, its waay more comfortable. Try doing portraits with the same lens for an extended period without a grip. your 4 fingers will get tired faster, trying to support the weight of the body. the grip lets you use your palm to support more weight. the fingers are less stressed.

Cons:
    - Added weight - specially if the photographer has a small frame, the additional 300 grams may be an issue for extended periods.

- Better Ergonomics - if your hands are small, and cant fully hold the grip, it may add to more problems. more tired hands.

just my 2cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubber_Duck View Post
    BTW what is OC???

Ohya.... Actually for the BG will help to increase the camera fps. (That is applied to Nikon only)
    i meant it for obsessive compulsive hehehe (no offence to y'all) i have that also hehehe

Feel more comfy holding with the BG on my 500d

Guess that i have a bigger hand ..

If the current grip is fine.. then no need for it.. other then the extra battery life and shooting vertical. it add weight. but help to stabilise. at least for me..

Even a 50D wasn't substantial enough such that my last 2 fingers were always dangling(I have quite big hands), therefore a battery grip was crucial to prevent discomfort.

I have seen a lot of photographers using a battery grip . I this just for "pose value"

I am using the canon 450 and the battery life seems very long ... and if it runs out i just put in the spare. I can imagine in certain circumstance where you are shooting sport and taking many many shots you may need one but cant see when it would be needed in other circumstances
    it is not useless, just that not everyone needs it.

it is useful for people who take a lot of portrait-orientated shots.

that said, a lot of people who have it don't need it, they just add it on to make their camera look bigger, literally.

Got myself a third party BG and other than loving it for taking portrait shots which
    1) Gives me a steadier grip (mi hand shake a lot due to loads of caffeine intake, hence its really a life saver from the shakey chicken wing position)
    2) Hold the position longer to get the correct shots at the correct time (u will get lesser 'half close eyes' portrait shots)

and I feel happier/more secured to be able to 'prolong' the lifespan of the camera shutter button and the command dials (which are really convenient for scrolling through pictures) coz the wear/tear usage is on the cheap BG shutter button and command dial instead. just a newbie feeling...... hahahaha

I think if you read my post properly I asked a question ...rather than criticising all owners of battery grips.

My question was asked to see whether I am missing something .
    100% support. Opinion seeking here.

Personally, I own a grip and find that the pros generally out-weighs the cons. It all drives down to personal preference and style.
    D700|SB900|Benro C257+B3
    24-70|70-300|50 f1.4D|105 f2.8|Sig 12-24|Rayx 150,250,202

Quote Originally Posted by Rubber_Duck View Post
    Is still depending on individual look and usage for BG.
    And anyways here are the 10 reasons why….

1) Have extra cash and don't know where to spend it.
    2) Want to look more PRO get a BG.
    3) Felt your camera like a toy get a BG and make you felt better.
    4) Felt the weight is not well balance after mounted a huge lens. BG will help to balance the weight.
    5) Felt you don't have enough work out for your neck get a BG to help you to build up your neck muscle.
    6) Shot more on portraiture, BG will be useful.
    7) Wanted to longer battery life and too lazy to change battery.
    8) Back up battery is flat (forgot to charge or other reason) you can switch to AA batteries and you can get it anywhere.
    9) To prevent chicken wings
    10) wanted to have a 1DMkIII, but cannot afford, get a BG to temporary fulfill you dream camera.
    i have BG for my 500D
    i have to admit to most of the reason stated above
    my camera is really light & tiny
    and i have no money to buy a more pro camera
    with the battery grip it feels more robust in my hands

else it juz feel like a compact camera which
    i tend to hiao hiao swing here swing there anyhow throw
    and its quite amazing
    without the BG, the battery last 2 days max
    with BG the battery can last one week
    with the same usage level
    i also dun understand why
    Canon EOS 500D|BG-E5|18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 kit| 50mm f/1.8 II | 17-40mm f/4L | 580EXII
    HOLGA GCFN 120

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12