Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: do you store your DSLR with the battery in it?

Default Re: do you store your DSLR with the battery in it?

the only time take out the batteries is when recharging it, or sending camera in for servicing
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

eh. for DSLR battery, what i read is that the camera will consume so so so little energy that it doesn't affect the battery much, in fact you will not be able to see depletion.
    i don't take it too.

canonia
    Guests

always inside the body/grip. and put it also together inside dry cab..

no problem so far

Quote Originally Posted by summrj View Post
    hi guys.. now that school has started.. i don't get to play with my D90 all that often anymore.. just wondering.. for periods when my usage is rather minimal (ie take out from dry box 1-2times a week) should i continue to just leave the battery in? or should i take the battery out when in storage?

i've always believed that battery life will just seep away more quickly if you leave it in the device.. any experienced dude out there who knows what should be done?
    I read it somewhere on this issue too but forgot where, will try to find.... still, I typically remove the battery when leaving my camera in the dry box, as a precaution (unless you shoot very often!)
    Canon EOS 40D | EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM

i remove the battery after every use n put into dry box separately.

I usually leave the battery in the camera / battery grip if my camera is frequently used. If it's gonna be idle for a long time, let's say more than a week, I'd remove the battery. Further Lithium Ion batteries keep a healthy life if they are frequently charged

Remove and cap the battery

if u r using 1 or 2 a week it just leave it in the cam. use till the batt flat then recharge. the more u open the batt cover, the higher chance u mess up the contact, cover etc....

unless u decided not to use it for the next 2- 6 months, remove n leave it at 1/2 capacity. put in dry cabinet it can last a long time.

u might like to do a google search on article by battery university.

info might help.

Quote Originally Posted by lcd0189 View Post
    if u r using 1 or 2 a week it just leave it in the cam. use till the batt flat then recharge. the more u open the batt cover, the higher chance u mess up the contact, cover etc....

unless u decided not to use it for the next 2- 6 months, remove n leave it at 1/2 capacity. put in dry cabinet it can last a long time.

u might like to do a google search on article by battery university.

info might help.
    Dude, you're wrong on the charging part. Lithium Ion batteries should not be discharged completely or left it to go flat before the next recharge cycle as it decreases the battery life (It counts as a full cycle this way and leaves much less cycles for charging further). Use your own reference of Battery University and read through the characteristics of Lithium Ion batteries.

Regarding the clock battery, it says in my camera manual that it needs the normal camera battery to charge it so that it can keep track of all those information and data in the CPU memory. 2 days of charging with the main battery will charge the clock battery to last for 3 months, after which you should install the main battery again to charge the clock battery. Pg 38 on the D300 manual, if anyone wants to know.

So if you're not gonna use the camera for very long, just remove the batteries, but remember to charge your clock battery if you don't want to go through all the clock setting and stuff. Haha!

I personally just leave it in.
    incywincyspider climbup the waterspout...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12