What is ECF? Is it important to have?

Thanks!

eye control focus

found in EOS33e, EOS3

Talking

I see! Thanks...

Is that found in 10D?

Error Correction Fluid ?

33e?? I only know the ECF is available on the EOS 30.

and nope, 10D doesn't have ECF.

Tried the ECF on my friend's EOS.

Most irritating part is when I focused with my eye already, then look around to see then sides, see any foreign objects, then the system kicks again. Sianz.

ECF was first intro with the EOS 5 & EOS 50E, and is available on the EOS 3 and EOS 30.

No new model after EOS 30 has ECF (even 1v), none of the DSLR has it as well.

Wah lao!

None of the DLSR has ECF? Not even 1D. *SIGH* Is it useful compared to conventional CF?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by birefringence
    Wah lao!

None of the DLSR has ECF? Not even 1D. *SIGH* Is it useful compared to conventional CF?

Thanks!
    CF? Compact Flash?

Having used the 5, 3 and 30. The ECF on the 5 is the easiest and hasslefree to use. Probably because it has 5 points. The 30 with 7 was a bit harder but still can. The 3 with 45 is unusable.

ECF = Eye Control Focus

CCF = Conventional Control Focus

ECF = Eye Control Focus

CCF = Conventional Control Focus
    You meant AF(auto focus) or MF(manual focus).

You have to know how to use ECF to use it well. Some people can, some cannot. If you can't then it will be useless and you'd be better off with AF or MF. Somtimes I find doing things manually much easier and faster.

Wah lao!

Thanks!
    I think you've just answered your own question...

Actually u don't use your eye to focus when using ECF. You merely use your eye to move the FOCUS POINT (the little red box).

i'm just guessing here, but i believe the ECF is incompatible with the built in diopter adjustment? Since the latter is much more important to pros (ie being able to judge sharpness from the viewfinder), the ECF was dropped.

i've read only of one case where someone attached an external diopter adjustment to an EOS3, but i don't know if he uses ECF.

Is there a model around with both features built-in?

The more you control the camera and make it do things YOU want (as opposed to the camera doing what it THINKS you want), the better your pics. Perhaps that's why some people went back in time and get 1950's cameras.

Regards
    CK

Quote Originally Posted by Kit
    Having used the 5, 3 and 30. The ECF on the 5 is the easiest and hasslefree to use. Probably because it has 5 points. The 30 with 7 was a bit harder but still can. The 3 with 45 is unusable.
    On the contrary, I find the 45 points on my EOS 3 rather useful. Considering the cross arrangement of the focusing points on the 5 and 30, the 45 points gives you more precision over which part of the frame you want to be in focus.

Also, the AF with the 45 points is a lot more accurate, since the camera takes the focusing of a point on the frame as well as the ones immediately around it for comparision.

In any case, if the 45 points seem a bit overwhelming, you can always close down the points to 11 points.

Quote Originally Posted by Prismatic
    On the contrary, I find the 45 points on my EOS 3 rather useful. Considering the cross arrangement of the focusing points on the 5 and 30, the 45 points gives you more precision over which part of the frame you want to be in focus.

Also, the AF with the 45 points is a lot more accurate, since the camera takes the focusing of a point on the frame as well as the ones immediately around it for comparision.

In any case, if the 45 points seem a bit overwhelming, you can always close down the points to 11 points.
    AF and servo on the EOS 3, 1V, 1D, 1Ds is great, no one is gonna argue abt it... I think he meant ECF usefulness on EOS 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Prismatic

Been there, done that. Still not as effective or easy to use compared to EOS 5.

Quote Originally Posted by ckiang
    The more you control the camera and make it do things YOU want (as opposed to the camera doing what it THINKS you want), the better your pics. Perhaps that's why some people went back in time and get 1950's cameras.
    right on
    David Teo
    View my work and blog at http://www.5stonesphoto.com/blog

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast