Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Need Some Suggestions for Camera Choice

Default Re: Need Some Suggestions for Camera Choice

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    3000 is a pretty decent budget, but it's still easy to blow once you start getting higher-end lenses. I've already spent more than $3000 and i don't own any constant-aperture zooms.

Wouldn't you need a tripod in Switzerland for those "i was there" moments? Unless you want to entrust your precious DSLR to a stranger.
    I've been to Switzerland before, and if I were to go again (with my DSLR this time), I'd definitely want to bring:

a) kit lens
    b) UWA zoom
    c) tripod
    d) filters

No way will I bring my 70-300...

Man.. lucky to have you here.... So change my plan... lolz...

any suggestion for the tripod? I will use D90 + kit (105 mm) I guess.... Any Cheap but recommended UWA Zoom and filters? Wah... so exciting....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Complex13717421 View Post
    I feel you are jumping too fast into a telezoom lens though.

Hoya UV filter has the best UV protection, though kenko has the most flare resistance. Weight it out yourself. ND and CPL filters are for artistic uses, and know what you're buying.

Flashes are for outdoors and indoors, depend if you need fill.

1 UV filter per lens, and it usually doesn't come off. It's for protection.
    DSLR do not need UV filters as they are not affected by UV. For protection, getting clear or protector filters might be a better bet.

Hoya or Kenko doesn't mean the best, as they both have different classes of filters. The basic class of filters are quite bad IMHO. You should get at least a HMC or a Pro1 D. HD is good to have but it is hella expensive. BTW, Hoya and Kenko are exactly the same thing from the same company. In Japan, it is branded as Kenko, and outside of Japan it is branded as Hoya. Exactly the same stuff.

As for CPL, there are reports that Hoya HD CPL come apart very easily. And it is really expensive too. CPL is used to reduce reflections as well as making a blue sky more blue.

ND is used to reduce the amount of light entering the camera, thus extending the exposure time. For ND, I suggest you keep clear first until you know what kinds of ND filter you will need. THere are tons out there, like ND4 ND8 ND400 ND110.. etc etc.. and you have the graduated ND as well and those comes in no. of stops as well, GND4 GND8.. and GND comes in soft edge, hard edge, reverse GND... all kinds... like they say, pattern more than badminton.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 8th September 2009 at 10:54 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HuguKYM View Post

any suggestion for the tripod? I will use D90 + kit (105 mm) I guess.... Any Cheap but recommended UWA Zoom and filters? Wah... so exciting....
    Most of the people with D90 go for the following setup:

- D90+Kit lens 18-105mm (~$1700)
    - Nikon 55-200mm VR (~$360)
    - Nikon 50mm f/1.8 (~$190)
    - Nikon SB-600 flash (~$370) with stofen omnibounce diffuser (~$10)

Things you will probably need:

Wireless shutter release (~$28 for Nikon, ~$10 for china brand)
    Tripod (price depends on what you get).
    Dry cab (~$110 for 36L Digicab)
    Lens Cleaning kit (~$10)

Once you saved enough you can choose this upgrade path:

- UWA get Tokina 11-16/2.8 or Sigma 10-20mm, or Nikon 12-24mm.
    - 18-105mm kit lens upgrade to Nikon 17-55/2.8, or Nikon 16-85mm. Or you can go for 3rd party lenses: Tamron 17-50/2.8 or Sigma 18-50/2.8 or Tokina 16-50/2.8
    - Get the Nikon 18-200mm if you love one lens for everything.
    - 50mm f/1.8 upgrade to 50mm f/1.4
    - Nikon SB-900 in addition to SB-600.
    - 55-200mm VR upgrade to 70-200/2.8 VRII if you really need the fast speed at tele.
    - 85mm f/1.4 if you shoot a lot of portraits
    - Nikon 60mm macro if you love to do macro work. Or get the Raynox macro lenses instead.

For tripod, it really depends on your budget:

- For low budget, get a Slik U series, Velbon CX series or Fancier, or Getai.
    - For mid budget, get Benro
    - For mid-hi budget, get Manfrotto 190xprob or 055xprob pair with 486rc2 or 488rc2 heads. or Benro carbon fiber.
    - For hi budget, get carbon fiber tripods from Manfrotto, Slik, Velbon, etc.
    - For the best, get Gitzo tripods match with boutique ballheads like Markins, KaRangPochi, etc.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 8th September 2009 at 11:30 PM.

The reason why I would rather have a UWA zoom is because Switzerland is literally LITTERED with moutainous landscape. I tend to prefer wide angles, but that does not necessarily mean you will too. You have to know YOUR shooting style.

What I normally carry when I go out to shoot scenery is my D80 + Tokina 12-24mm f/4 DX + Nikkor 50mm f/1.8
    If i am going to Switzerland, I'd probably add the kit lens 18-135mm to this, and probably my SB400 as a fill-flash.

i use a Benro tripod + ballhead. This brand has mixed reviews on clubsnap.
    I bought it from Benphoto at Peninsula Shopping Centre, with the proceeds going to the Sichuan Earthquake relief fund. So far about 1 year + already. The tripod still looks the same as when I bought it.
    I use it but don't abuse it.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Most of the people with D90 go for the following setup:

- D90+Kit lens 18-105mm (~$1700)
    - Nikon 55-200mm VR (~$360)
    - Nikon 50mm f/1.8 (~$190)
    - Nikon SB-600 flash (~$370) with stofen omnibounce diffuser (~$10)

Things you will probably need:

Wireless shutter release (~$28 for Nikon, ~$10 for china brand)
    Tripod (price depends on what you get).
    Dry cab (~$110 for 36L Digicab)
    Lens Cleaning kit (~$10)

- 18-105mm kit lens upgrade to Nikon 17-55/2.8, or Nikon 16-85mm. Or you can go for 3rd party lenses: Tamron 17-50/2.8 or Sigma 18-50/2.8 or Tokina 16-50/2.8
    - 55-200mm VR upgrade to 70-200/2.8 VRII if you really need the fast speed at tele.
    - Nikon 60mm macro if you love to do macro work. Or get the Raynox macro lenses instead.

For tripod, it really depends on your budget:

- For low budget, get a Slik U series, Velbon CX series or Fancier, or Getai.
    - For mid budget, get Benro
    - For mid-hi budget, get Manfrotto 190xprob or 055xprob pair with 486rc2 or 488rc2 heads. or Benro carbon fiber.
    - For hi budget, get carbon fiber tripods from Manfrotto, Slik, Velbon, etc.
    - For the best, get Gitzo tripods match with boutique ballheads like Markins, KaRangPochi, etc.

As Daredevil has shown, this DSLR journey can be a never-ending road. Always remember to try and hold your horses until you're 100% sure you need to upgrade to another lens/camera/flash.
    Exploring! :)

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123

in my opinion, I wouldn't consider replacing the 18-105VR with a 16-85VR to be an 'upgrade' in any sense, except price...
    ~shrug~..... maybe that's just me. Getting the additional 11-16 f/2.8 Tokina... now that's an upgrade!

Honestly I want to get a UWA lens but unfortunately it is pretty hard for my budget... right now... Lolz...

Any suggestion for the CPL filter other than HOYA HD? Have some extra assignments at the office, so can not really search and read a lot of review at the moments... need to make up for my leave next week....

I really appreciate all your helps...

Blog Entries

Honestly I want to get a UWA lens but unfortunately it is pretty hard for my budget... right now... Lolz...

Any suggestion for the CPL filter other than HOYA HD? Have some extra assignments at the office, so can not really search and read a lot of review at the moments... need to make up for my leave next week....

I really appreciate all your helps...
    I find CPL to be all pretty ok. I use a large Cokin P CPL now. And I own several from tokina 52mm to Hoya 58mm to B+W KSM CPL 72mm. I use CPL very sparingly. Maybe 10-20% of the time when shooting in broad daylight. And remember, when using the CPL, please take off your UV/clear/protector filter.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    in my opinion, I wouldn't consider replacing the 18-105VR with a 16-85VR to be an 'upgrade' in any sense, except price...
    ~shrug~..... maybe that's just me. Getting the additional 11-16 f/2.8 Tokina... now that's an upgrade!
    Well, I have to list the 'popular' choices. I will never consider the 16-85 too. But the 17-50/2.8 has been a really nice step up from my old 18-55 (D40x days). Keen on getting the Toki 116, but CFO says no. Guess I have to wait out a lil bit more.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 9th September 2009 at 01:54 AM.

Tokina 116

I decided to go with AF-D 35-70 to replace my kit lens. Everyone has a different opinion. There's no sure route, as said above.

Don't worry too much of not having a UWA right now. Start with a zoom lens that begins around 17~18mm at the wide end. That will give you ~28mm after the 1.5x multiplier, which is quite adequte for most scenaries. For the rest you can always do a panorama. That's what I would normally do when I'm without my 12-24 UWA.

It seemed that with your first month's salary allows you to spend 2500 is a well paid job. But I am a person who believes in the importance of emergency cash, especially in foreign land. A few points here:

A camera's usability is determined by the electronic lifespan and once repair is beyond feasible cost, it is dumped. Not that it will obselete like Windows 95.

Your cumulative cost will gradually doubles and triple based on your interest. Unless you are getting immediately, use you immediate purchase first and think of you accessories later.

Buy a thing that last 5 years without change, a very conservative thinking for a fresh graduate.

Now, I am working and I can spend roughly 1800-2500 to buy DSLR and equipments without really hurting my wallet ( come from my salary and 'unused' savings). Unfortunately , something happened today, and I need to realise roughly arround 600 from this budget. At the end I can spend only around 1400-1900 for DSLR and its equipments.
    But, by "squeezing" my wallet, I can get another 500 from my savings. Ouch....
    My decision to get d90 is because I want to have camera that working well for the next at least 5 years....

Lolz, my job is not that good in term of salary, that 2500 is accumulation of 'hard' saving from my undergraduate life. Working part time to help me survive in my undergraduate time. I only get around 300 for my living expenses each month from my sponsor (have no allowance from parent), so I give some tuition, helping my school in many way, doing some part time research with some fellow prof.

And I also believe the importance of emergency cash (indeed, this one is priority). That is why I am waiting for my paycheck to help me boost the budget a bit. Consider it as my Graduation Gift for myself

Is it really not possible to use DSLR 5 years time? Usually how long will you use DSLR before you have 'motivation' to change it? (just curious, never have DSLR before, so do not know the 'feel' of it)

Quote Originally Posted by ziploc View Post
    Don't worry too much of not having a UWA right now. Start with a zoom lens that begins around 17~18mm at the wide end. That will give you ~28mm after the 1.5x multiplier, which is quite adequte for most scenaries. For the rest you can always do a panorama. That's what I would normally do when I'm without my 12-24 UWA.
    Then I just stick to kit lens... then after I realise what kind of photography that I love and what kind of lens that I need, I will go for it (depend on the budget also)... bottom line is the budget I guess....

Blog Entries

Lolz, my job is not that good in term of salary, that 2500 is accumulation of 'hard' saving from my undergraduate life. Working part time to help me survive in my undergraduate time. I only get around 300 for my living expenses each month from my sponsor (have no allowance from parent), so I give some tuition, helping my school in many way, doing some part time research with some fellow prof.

And I also believe the importance of emergency cash (indeed, this one is priority). That is why I am waiting for my paycheck to help me boost the budget a bit. Consider it as my Graduation Gift for myself

Is it really not possible to use DSLR 5 years time? Usually how long will you use DSLR before you have 'motivation' to change it? (just curious, never have DSLR before, so do not know the 'feel' of it)
    With the advancement of technology nowadays, a camera will get very outdated in 3 years. Digital cameras nowadays are not built like film cameras in the past. Things fail a lot faster nowadays. As components and microchips get smaller, they last less longer too. And to bring the cost of DSLRs to current price levels, a lot of cost savings are done. That mean plastic parts etc, which all will degrade pretty quick over time. Your connectors will start to fail to after a while, as you plug stuff in and out. That coupled with the Singapore weather eating away at your electronics, things just do not last as long.

You will be doing very very good if your DSLR last 3-4 years.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 9th September 2009 at 10:07 AM.

Blog Entries

Then I just stick to kit lens... then after I realise what kind of photography that I love and what kind of lens that I need, I will go for it (depend on the budget also)... bottom line is the budget I guess....
    That is the wisest choice I've seen you made this entire thread.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    With the advancement of technology nowadays, a camera will get very outdated in 3 years. Digital cameras nowadays are not built like film cameras in the past. Things fail a lot faster nowadays. As components and microchips get smaller, they last less longer too. And to bring the cost of DSLRs to current price levels, a lot of cost savings are done. That mean plastic parts etc, which all will degrade pretty quick over time. Your connectors will start to fail to after a while, as you plug stuff in and out. That coupled with the Singapore weather eating away at your electronics, things just do not last as long.

You will be doing very very good if your DSLR last 3-4 years.
    Yeah, I think that is true... hum... never think about it... it is really different with the film camera I guess.... well... then 5 years will be almost impossible I guess (for a person like me)

Nice info btw, really open my 'eye' about this perspective...

Quote Originally Posted by HuguKYM
    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123
    That is the wisest choice I've seen you made this entire thread.
    Yeah I second that conclusion.
    I know that you're going on holiday and don't want to have those moment where you go "aiyah, I wish I had _______ lens/flash"

I had that feeling too after I went to switzerland with "only" my Lumix FZ10.
    what to do... suck thumb...

With the approval and strong support from your girlfriend, and all the info you received from fellow members above, I think you should now go out for your camera shopping instead of still sitting infront of the computer!

Here is what I would start with:
    1. D90 with kit lens.
    2. Filter to protect the lens.
    3. Lens cleaning kit.

These items can be added if you have enough budget:
    1. Tripod - not essential but you'll need it if you plan to take sunrise/sunset/night scenes. Also depends on whether you're willing to lug it along on your trip.
    2. Dry cabinet - not essential for your trip but important to protect your gears after the trip. Can get it after you return from your trip.
    3. Flash - not essential as you can use the built-in flash for your trip - wouldn't be as powerful/far reaching as a speedlight, but is probably adequate for most situation you would encounter during your trip. You can add a speedlight if you have enough budget, if not you can add this later when you save up more after the trip.
    4. Other lenses - probably the 50/1.8 to take portraitures of your gf/family during the trip, as it is faster and has nicer bokeh. You can get the rest later when you have a clearer idea of which genre of photography you'll be more interested in.
    5. Wireless shutter release - good to have but not essential as you can use timer to trigger.

So there you go. Now go out and BBB.

Great Summary... that is what I am intending to do....

Will go back early tomorrow (after meeting with my Boss) , so that I can go to the shop and take a look at the product directly... but I guess call the shop will be the first think I do in the morning... Will they give us cheaper price if we ask them directly at the store, or is it the same with Telephone quote? How about e-quote?

Will get everything in the list I guess except for dry cabi or maybe wireless shutter (not really sure whether it can be useful for me, but I think I can use it when I want to join the group photos)

Will stay a bit late tonight, to search about tripod, of course stability and weight is the main concerned next to the price. Any suggestions?

And additional one bag and extra battery...

Great Summary... that is what I am intending to do....

Will go back early tomorrow (after meeting with my Boss) , so that I can go to the shop and take a look at the product directly... but I guess call the shop will be the first think I do in the morning... Will they give us cheaper price if we ask them directly at the store, or is it the same with Telephone quote? How about e-quote?

Will get everything in the list I guess except for dry cabi or maybe wireless shutter (not really sure whether it can be useful for me, but I think I can use it when I want to join the group photos)

Will stay a bit late tonight, to search about tripod, of course stability and weight is the main concerned next to the price. Any suggestions?

And additional one bag and extra battery...
    They should honour the quotes given, but do ask for a name if you're calling the shops.

For group shots, just use the delay shutter release, set it to a longer time if you need to go further.

As for the tripod, pls do consider it more as a cheap one may not be as stable as you need it to be. And weight/performance and cost are inversely proportionate. The good cheaper ones are heavy, the good light ones are expensive and the light cheap ones are not good.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast