Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Need Some Suggestions for Camera Choice

Default Re: Need Some Suggestions for Camera Choice

Quote Originally Posted by Complex13717421 View Post
    When i go out, i find myself switching macro and UWA lens alot -_-

Sometimes, by the time i get my macro lens on, and flash and etc etc, the insect disappear liao. Just an extreme example. I think i was mainly thinking about shooting for event, have a sigma 50 f/1.4 and a 24-70 to swap around. I've never done that though, so it's pure speculation ....
    Yeah I think that make sense... so the solution is to get other DSLR... and in the future, buy new body (better one) and I get 2 DSLR.... lolz...

How about getting camera that can accompany you to the rough condition (like really cold place), or maybe camera that waterproof (can I use DSLR when it is raining?), or maybe camera with ultrazoom (because DSLR lens for ultra tele is really expensive).

Tell her you are getting a fantastic DSLR to shoot her, and capture the great memories both of u are having together.

If u make her happy, who knows she might sponsor u the DSLR.

Quote Originally Posted by HuguKYM View Post
    Lolz... even before I get my camera, My GF said that I always talk about camera recently....

Yeah I think that make sense... so the solution is to get other DSLR... and in the future, buy new body (better one) and I get 2 DSLR.... lolz...

How about getting camera that can accompany you to the rough condition (like really cold place), or maybe camera that waterproof (can I use DSLR when it is raining?), or maybe camera with ultrazoom (because DSLR lens for ultra tele is really expensive).

Most cameras can function in cold weather, it's the batteries which run out of juice faster. Don't hang your camera outside your winter jacket. Put inside, then take out only to snap shots. I'm guessing you refer to places like Norway and Iceland.

Some of the higher end DSLR are weather-resistant, but of course the best choice is to use rain gear, which can be found in the Mass order section of this forum.

How much "ultratele" do you want? 3rd party lens have cheap alternatives. Sigma 150-500 is about 1600. Not very expensive. and f/6.4 at 500mm too (unsure but around there). Tokina has 80-400 for about 1.2k. Original prime lens > 300 tend to be in the 10k ++++++++++++ range. or u can also use mirror lens, although slow and have a donut bokeh, are cheaper alternative. A 1.4 teleconveter with a 300 max zoom also brings u up to 420mm. I.e. AF - 75-300 (about 300ish now) + TC 1.4 (about 150ish?) .

more questions? Shoot away!

I guess no more questions... lolz... all my doubt are gone... lolz

I decide that I will buy D90... lolz... even my GF 'force' me to buy it (she called 2 hours ago) and give me a permission to use another 500 from our "emergency saving".

Now, since I get a lot of information from this thread, how about we move to the next discussion... Which Kit and what lense, Filter, exc...

From what I get from this forum:
    D90 body = 1300-1400 (have not checked yet)
    D90 Kit = 1600 (Check it from CP Marina)
    D90 dual = 1800 (from AP)

So I guess I will buy them according to my budget step by step. So any good lens suggestions are welcomed.

How about D90 Kit + 1 prime (50 f/1.8D) + 1 tele (maybe tamron 75-300??)

Any suggestion for the lens set? I am sure that you have more experiences in this lens selection....

and also for filter suggestion? I am thinking to get Hoya UV HMC (if I am not mistaken)

Btw, just to check, other than bag, tripod, extra bat, memory card, Dry Cabi, and flash light, do I need to buy anything else for accesory?
    Last edited by HuguKYM; 8th September 2009 at 04:43 AM.

I guess no more questions... lolz... all my doubt are gone... lolz

I decide that I will buy D90... lolz... even my GF 'force' me to buy it (she called 2 hours ago) and give me a permission to use another 500 from our "emergency saving".

Now, since I get a lot of information from this thread, how about we move to the next discussion... Which Kit and what lense, Filter, exc...

From what I get from this forum:
    D90 body = 1300-1400 (have not checked yet)
    D90 Kit = 1600 (Check it from CP Marina)
    D90 dual = 1800 (from AP)

So I guess I will buy them according to my budget step by step. So any good lens suggestions are welcomed.

How about D90 Kit + 1 prime (50 f/1.8D) + 1 tele (maybe tamron 75-300??)

Any suggestion for the lens set? I am sure that you have more experiences in this lens selection....

and also for filter suggestion? I am thinking to get Hoya UV HMC (if I am not mistaken)

Btw, just to check, other than bag, tripod, extra bat, memory card, Dry Cabi, and flash light, do I need to buy anything else for accesory?
    Have you read up a lil more on the gears yet?

A D90 should come with a 18-105VR and this would be a good starting lens for you to practise on first. As for a longer tele lens, it depends on your budget and how you'd like to shoot your subjects. There are a few choices ranging from the cheap 70-300 G lens (poor man's zoom lens - more description on this in other threads) to the better 70-300 VR (which gives better image quality but at a much higher price)

The prime is a no-brainer.. just get it for low light and simple portraits...

As for filters, get the best you can afford as it is an object which light needs to pass thru to reach your sensor, a low quality one will only cause problems. Nikon NC, Hoya HMC or B+W would be good choices.

Read more on the other accessories, don't skimp on the tripod and flash if you intend to get them as they are important. Cheap tripods are notorious for failing at the importune times and you may lose your valuable investment in the blink of an eye. Flash wise, consider the SB-600 or SB800/900 depending on your budget.

Hope these helps.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Blog Entries

Actually I would like to inject a different opinion here. Since you do not have any old lenses to worry about, you can actually go for the D5000 or D3000. I think that will give you the best value for money. They are by no means shabby. They also give very good IQ. The only caveat is that you lost certain things like CLS wireless flash control and AFD lens support.

CLS you can add on later by getting a SU-800 or SB-900 or the cheap Nissin Di866. For other lens, you see now that Tamron and Sigma all come with internal motor to cater to this big D40/40x/60/3000/5000 market. So going forward, you will have less of a problem. And seriously speaking, D5000 has the same IQ as the D90 (same sensor and processing), and D3000 is not far behind with the D80 sensor. I've used the D40x for the longest time and I was very satisfied with the IQ. I switched only because my dad has tons of AFD lenses I would love to use.

If you really want low temperature and weather sealing you have to go for D300 and D700. Olympus is also a good choice, with class leading colors and in-body stabilization. E-3 is so rugged that it actually survived complete immersion into water in a couple of reported incidents. Every system has it pros and cons. Buying in into a system, Nikon is the most expensive, but their kit lens is also one of the best. And the Nikon flash system is just fabulous. And there are tons of lens you can potentially use, from the 70s till now.

All in all, buying a camera is about going into a hobby. You should not spend more than you can afford. And in life, things are always very unexpected. Things may happen in life that suddenly requires money. It would be advisable to save more and not go for the "best" while keeping more spare cash and savings with you. Seriously, a D3000 would suffice for the first 1 or 2 years of your DSLR journey. By that time, a better and faster camera would be out. And the price would be lower too. So buying a camera to last 5 years is not that wise a move nowadays. Plus 2 years down the road you can sell the D3000 for a small loss only, while topping up to get a better cam. My D40x kit after almost 2 years of use sold for 550. D3000 is going for around 870 now, so you can do the math. Remember the more expensive your camera, the more you will lose (% of a bigger number = bigger number). Hope you do not take offence at what I am saying. I am just trying to think in the direction of your situation.

Just my 2 cents
    Last edited by daredevil123; 8th September 2009 at 08:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Hope you do not take offence at what I am saying. I am just trying to think in the direction of your situation.

Just my 2 cents
    Yeah... I was thinking about that also, but then I think I want to have my first DSLR for longer time , since this is my first time hold DSLR camera. I hope to get used to DSLR world before I change into the new camera.

Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    Have you read up a lil more on the gears yet?

A D90 should come with a 18-105VR and this would be a good starting lens for you to practise on first. As for a longer tele lens, it depends on your budget and how you'd like to shoot your subjects. There are a few choices ranging from the cheap 70-300 G lens (poor man's zoom lens - more description on this in other threads) to the better 70-300 VR (which gives better image quality but at a much higher price)

Hope these helps.
    Nice suggestion... but I think I will try to look around for Sigma 70-300 since I am not sure whether I will use this often... From some reviews, I get conclusion that this lens is quite acceptable for me... and also the price is not too 'itchy' in my pocket

but then still considering... maybe wait for another month if i want to get 70-300 VR

I would probably guess that you would not need the reach till 300mm, which after the 1.5x crop factor becomes 450mm, unless you plan to shot wildlife often. 200mm (300mm at 35mm equivalent) is adequate in most cases.

to TS:
    I think you shouldn't stretch your budget to such an extent just to get a camera.
    If you only have about $1500-1600 as your total budget, a much better choice would be to buy an entry-level camera or a used mid-range one.

Some options come to mind:

1) New: D60 (if still can find) or D3000 + 18-55 kit lens and 55-200.
    You shouldn't realistically need more reach than 200mm on a DX sensor.

2) Used: D80 + 18-135 kit lens
    This should also be enough for most general photography.
    With D80, you can buy 50/1.8 prime lens for half-body portraits standing a few metres away.
    D80 allows you auto-focus capability with this lens, unlike D40/D60/D3000/D5000.

Both options give you a bit of spare change from your budget, so you can buy a decent bag and tripod.
    Dry cabinet can be bought after a month or two with additional savings.

Oh, don't forget to consider other brands too. Nikon cameras tend to be at the pricier end of the scale when comparing with their direct market competitors in the same market segment.
    Last edited by ZerocoolAstra; 8th September 2009 at 12:58 PM.
    Exploring! :)

Blog Entries

Yeah... I was thinking about that also, but then I think I want to have my first DSLR for longer time , since this is my first time hold DSLR camera. I hope to get used to DSLR world before I change into the new camera.
    Actually, if this is the first time I am getting a DSLR, and I have a tight budget, I will get a cheaper entry level one, or a used one, learn on it, and upgrade to a better one when I am better at the hobby. Well, different people think differently, that is what makes us human.

And the D5000 is not a 'lousy' camera compared to the D90. It is just as good, with slightly less features. It will last just as long and the picture quality that comes out of a D5000 will be identical to one from a D90. This is because the D5000 share the internal components of the D90. A D90 just comes with more shortcut controls and several more advanced features. Some of these features you can get around by adding components. And getting a D3000 or D5000 doesn't mean your pictures will turn out to be inferior to one taken by a D90 or D300. Seriously speaking, for us non-pros, a lot of the advanced features will be pretty much left unused. So you are paying a lot more for these features for the next 2-3 years where you will be learning and probably not touch these features.

Either way, enjoy your purchase which ever way you choose.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 8th September 2009 at 01:35 PM.

Hello and WElcome!

Since you have the budget to get D90, get it... that shld get you going for a while... and once u get used to the world of DSLR... then upgrade..

the point is, if u wanna get it, get it.. dun wait.. or else you'll keep thinking and thinking...

haha.. yea... my Gf also keep complaining to me... why spend $$$ on photography...

the BBB bug is really contagious..

me still using my D60... for 6 months.. and i am thinking of upgrading already... haha
    Flickr: My Flickr

get the d90 kit and a decent flash like the sb600 or the sb900.
    u r good to go.
    if u wan to spend more, get a 50 f/1.8.

dun forget a good bag
    Stirring up emotions with pics - cyliew

Lolz... Thanks for all suggestions... This past 24 hours, I learn a lot...

I am planning to get
    D90 - dual kit - prime (50mm f/1.8D) for the current preparation for my vacation
    alternative
    D90 - kit - Sigma (70-300mm) -> If I could not find dual kit

Planning to get 3 filters, ND, CPL, UV (most likely HOYA HD)

and of course the bag, extra batteries, exc... Btw, do the flash important? I can manage to get it but just curious whether people usually use this sb 600. Is it for indoor or night?

The reason is I get the original budget back with additional 500 to spare...

I feel you are jumping too fast into a telezoom lens though.

Hoya UV filter has the best UV protection, though kenko has the most flare resistance. Weight it out yourself. ND and CPL filters are for artistic uses, and know what you're buying.

Flashes are for outdoors and indoors, depend if you need fill.

1 UV filter per lens, and it usually doesn't come off. It's for protection.

I am planning to get
    D90 - dual kit - prime (50mm f/1.8D) for the current preparation for my vacation
    alternative

and of course the bag, extra batteries, exc... Btw, do the flash important? I can manage to get it but just curious whether people usually use this sb 600. Is it for indoor or night?

HuguKYM, I'm also buying a new DSLR, may consider D90 too. Btw, where are you getting your D90 from? Comex?

I am planning to get
    alternative

Your original budget is around 1900, am I right?
    You mean to say that amount of money can buy D90 kit + sigma 70-300 + 3 filters + bag, batteries, and SB-600????
    wow.... what shop quoted you such a great price?

Just a warning note:
    D90 is sometimes sold as a "kit" with the 18-55mm lens. So the "dual kit" is D90 body + 18-55 + 55-200.
    I would much prefer the original D90 kit with the 18-105.
    What shots are you trying to take with the 70-300? Mine is almost permanently in the dry cabinet...

My advice to you is.... HOLD YOUR HORSES! Don't rush out to buy everything at one go. Get the D90 kit. If you don't know what the flash is for, means you don't need it... yet, at least.

@Complex13717421
    Thank you for reminding me about the filters. Yeah, I almost forget to get extra UVs for each lens.

@Koksters
    not sure. I just wait for comex to add some options. Also because that is the last weekend before I go for my vacation

@ZerocoolAstra
    Hi..., thanks for the advice... My original budget is 2500, now since got additional 500, around 3000...

Yeah... I am aware of that telezoom matters. I am not sure whether I will need this 70-300 in my trip to switzerland... but I am planning to be prepared... and also when I come back to my home country, I think I will definitely need this lens to get some birds and wildlife images... Altough I am not sure how "powerful" this 70-300mm... Maybe need to think until the last minutes...

My first option is dual kit because I want to have some zoom ability (55-200mm can be a good option)

And the reason why I become so rushing to buy everything in one shoot is because I do not think I will have time to go to store again before I go to Switzerland...

Anyway, that is why I post it in the forum, so that I can get people to remind me with everything... Thank you all...

Btw.. dun get it at Comex. They normally bundle it with some low end items only. Get it from the shops and ask for a discount instead of those items which would be later left in the store-room permanently...
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Quote Originally Posted by HuguKYM
    @Complex13717421
    Thank you for reminding me about the filters. Yeah, I almost forget to get extra UVs for each lens.

@Koksters
    not sure. I just wait for comex to add some options. Also because that is the last weekend before I go for my vacation

@ZerocoolAstra
    Hi..., thanks for the advice... My original budget is 2500, now since got additional 500, around 3000...

Yeah... I am aware of that telezoom matters. I am not sure whether I will need this 70-300 in my trip to switzerland... but I am planning to be prepared... and also when I come back to my home country, I think I will definitely need this lens to get some birds and wildlife images... Altough I am not sure how "powerful" this 70-300mm... Maybe need to think until the last minutes...

My first option is dual kit because I want to have some zoom ability (55-200mm can be a good option)

And the reason why I become so rushing to buy everything in one shoot is because I do not think I will have time to go to store again before I go to Switzerland...

Anyway, that is why I post it in the forum, so that I can get people to remind me with everything... Thank you all...
    3000 is a pretty decent budget, but it's still easy to blow once you start getting higher-end lenses. I've already spent more than $3000 and i don't own any constant-aperture zooms.

Wouldn't you need a tripod in Switzerland for those "i was there" moments? Unless you want to entrust your precious DSLR to a stranger.
    I've been to Switzerland before, and if I were to go again (with my DSLR this time), I'd definitely want to bring:

a) kit lens
    b) UWA zoom
    c) tripod
    d) filters

No way will I bring my 70-300...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast