Thread: Film Scanner

Default Film Scanner

To consult the gurus in this forum.

If I were to scan my own negatives (B&W or colour) and edit with a computer, then save into Jpeg format. Would a lab be able to print the images with a decent quality?

My aim is not so much to store images in digital format, but to have some form of control over how my pictures would turn out without the hassles of printing them in a dark room.

Thanks in advance for your response.

Quote Originally Posted by shutterspeed
    To consult the gurus in this forum.

If I were to scan my own negatives (B&W or colour) and edit with a computer, then save into Jpeg format. Would a lab be able to print the images with a decent quality?

My aim is not so much to store images in digital format, but to have some form of control over how my pictures would turn out without the hassles of printing them in a dark room.

Thanks in advance for your response.

Depends on the resolution of the image and the printed size.

Yes, it can be done.

Quote Originally Posted by binbeto
    Depends on the resolution of the image and the printed size.

Yes, it can be done.
    Thanks for your reply.

Further to that, what will the quality of the photos be like. Will it be as good as if the negatives were to be scanned by the labs or at what resolutions should the scan be in order to match the lab's requirements.

Thanks

Thanks for your reply.

Further to that, what will the quality of the photos be like. Will it be as good as if the negatives were to be scanned by the labs or at what resolutions should the scan be in order to match the lab's requirements.

Thanks
    scan at the max resolution available to you, you can always downsize if you dun need such a large size later.

Thanks for your reply.

Thanks
    Actually, the resolution depends on the film scanner used by the photo lab which you are sending your film to. Some labs have scanners that can reach 4000dpi, some less. And each lab charges differently.

How good is the quality will depends on your scanner. It can be as good as i belive most shop also using scanner for slide to print. Read that the old methods of printing is not longer used in most places.

Use the max resolution if your scanner can support. For slide, 2400 should be enough for up to 8R.

Best is you scan and try out different setting.

Thanks guy for your inputs.

The conclusion seems to be if one were to get a scanner with resolution of around 4000 dpi, that should be sufficient for most labs.

eh... newb qn... do u need a film scanner to scan films? or can a normal flatbed scanner scan films, den usin software change to color?

Based on what I have read, I get the impression that film scanner scan at a higher resolution, therefore the quality is supposedly better. Not sure how true this is.

Also read that photojournalists overseas also scan negatives in film scanner and send over via the net to newspaper. There must be something different about film scanners compared to flatbed scanners.