Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where is our standard?

Quote Originally Posted by lauLEE
    i apologise to all if you have felt being offended by my comments. frankly i am always inspired by some of the regulars here, such as SniperD, Wolfgang, iamasaint, Harlequin, sehsuan, megaweb, Azure, meng kuang, sulhan to name just a few. One can always learn sth from their images. Even "ordinary" day-to-day images from many of the CS (esp all those from the inspiriing Streetshooters and teL) can teach us many things such as lighting, composition, humour, quality etc.

How many of us really look forward to see such images or feel that we can learn anything from these? (Apologise to the photog, dont mean to be personal, sorry):
    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=57059
    I rest my case and Happy New Year... cheers!
    Show me one of your photo that you think is better than the "face off" in the above thread.

ehehe~
    lastime i oso want2 post pics wan..but dont have time & money to buy scanner, and even scan oredy also dont really see the point of all those unnecessary fuss involved in photoshop post editing; and also too lazy 2 setup image online gallery

but one thing i knoe is i like all my pics, they can be whatever standard;dun care what banal talk/critique can be given. 2me im neutral, more impt is 2 snap wat u fancy...n enjoy viewing it over n over again

OT abit but i tink this may be related, i also dun see the point of photo competitons coz all the entries look equally good ...so its really making the judges kill brain cells, thats about it. the contestants should all realize tt they r snapping not 4 the prizes but 4 themselves (the feel of the skill)

so i hope we can all relax a bit more; mean time help those who need help
    Last edited by clive; 3rd January 2004 at 01:45 AM.

Hmm, LauLee did post a photo in the forum b4...

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=40218

Well, some of the other websites have a rating assigned to each photo voted collectively by the viewers. So, to each his own; if you want to admire the best photos, look out for the highest rated/most popular photos. If you want to critique, leave a comment, etc.

Personally, I'm happy with CS the way it is... It's a great place to share pics, and comments (if any) are either instructive or encouraging.

Quote Originally Posted by lauLEE
    How many of us really look forward to see such images or feel that we can learn anything from these? (Apologise to the photog, dont mean to be personal, sorry):
    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=55895
    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=57059
    perhaps you should add this to the above list as well. nothing personal.

btw regarding the mee rebus shot. have you considered that the photographer was trying to hone his skills doing food shots?

my point is just because you dont find meaning in someone's photo, doesnt mean that others wont find meaning also.

Blog Entries

I re-started photography in early 2000 and there was www.asiaphoto.com then. I posted quite a few shots then and asked for help in techniques, compositions, film types etc etc etc

....really kind folks like Ian Wallace, Jed Wee, Triston Yeo, CK and so many others offered their advise and encouragement.....some were simple replies, some were a little more complicated ....yeah, some were also bo liao comments. But it really helped me improve. I also started commenting on others' works.....not that I'm any good but that it helped me see others' perspectives

Honestly, I learned from all sorts of images.....and it made me a more humane human (not just a photographer)

Sorry, not posted much at all here just because of the way the image uploads are processed.

ed

p/s I also think that photographers bring images elsewhere or do not post pics for critique when little or no constructive comments are forthcoming.....not because they are in the company of bad images

I too re-ignited my interest in photography in the mid 2000 and was a fervent member of the Asiaphoto site. Posted quite a few of my shots for critique and on the whole,besides the bo liao, made me improve as well as see thru my lens in a different perspective.
    If the photos on that site were 'only professional and/or gooood' i would not have dared to post mine.
    As with this site i am happy to note that it's a gathering of like-minded enthusiasts/pros to help each other hone their skills.
    I am an old dog...but even old dogs can learn new tricks
    Life is a continual learning process

Quote Originally Posted by zaren
    Hmm, LauLee did post a photo in the forum b4...

Well, some of the other websites have a rating assigned to each photo voted collectively by the viewers. So, to each his own; if you want to admire the best photos, look out for the highest rated/most popular photos. If you want to critique, leave a comment, etc.

Personally, I'm happy with CS the way it is... It's a great place to share pics, and comments (if any) are either instructive or encouraging.

I second that .... why did he photograph a cleaner? It would be more "educational" if it was a litter offender clearing up the rubbish at East Coast Park ....... Moreoever, the colour and the theme was not there ......

hmmmmm ....... maybe he should consider put that pic in the "elite" site and see what's the responds .......

Deregistered

This is silly... why's everyone taking it up with the thread-starter?
    You don't agree then post better pix (in your opinion). Or, dont post any. Why make a hue and cry over it and play with fire? Don't whine over it - it's so LAME.

Go enjoy taking photos, if you want to share them in a burst of happiness, do so. Just remember that what may be meat to you is someone else's poison. So rave and rot responses will come.

Quote Originally Posted by ed9119
    I re-started photography in early 2000 and there was www.asiaphoto.com then.
    <snipped>
    ....really kind folks like Ian Wallace, Jed Wee, Triston Yeo, CK and so many others offered their advise and encouragement.....some were simple replies, some were a little more complicated ....
    Ah bless you Ed. You know, it's people like you and posts like these which make one all warm and fuzzy inside, and believe all the effort has been worth while.

I will be the first to admit that I have a completely different outlook to Clubsnap as I did with Asiaphoto back in those days. Asiaphoto was smaller, and it was far easier to lend a helping hand to everyone. Clubsnap is a behemoth in comparison, and I tend to be very selective with the advice I offer and the threads I follow because otherwise it will kill me time-wise.

Instead, I have adopted more of a "supervisory" role, although that term also carries connotations of superiority which I hope to avoid. I believe that in a community of 5800+ members (that was last I looked, we might well have hit 6000 by now!), there are plenty of people more capable to deal with the needs of newbies because they are more in touch with that group of people. What I do still continue to do is correct misconceptions and disinformation that I see floating around, and this has caused me no end of grief and plenty of enemies in the time that I have been around, because curiously enough people don't generally like to be told they are misinformed.

But like I said, it's nice to know that people remember the effort I used to put in back in those days. I respected you as a photographer then and I continue to do so, and actually I am back in the country for just under three weeks commencing the 19th, and I'd love to meet up... drop me a pm or something.

As to everyone else, relax. I don't agree or disagree with lauLEE's comments, but I will make the point that many people are getting carried away in their responses. LauLEE is not adopting a high and mighty approach, and not suggesting that everyone else is a beginner while he/she has surpassed that level. Reading his/her original post, lauLEE mentions that he/she is a newbie. So I can hardly see how lauLEE is adopting a high and mighty approach.

FWIW as my contribution to the discussion at hand, I don't agree with stopping people from posting what they want to post, generally, either. Clubsnap is not perfect and there are ways of improving it in my opinion. I'd love to see less equipment talk (not none, less), more good pictures (not no poor pictures, more good pictures) because that in turn will stimulate the growth of more experienced members. At the moment Clubsnap's composition is a bit lopsided. But at the same time I like Clubsnap for what it is in its own unique way. Each and every forum online, from Dpreview to Photo.Net, has its problems. But each, including Clubsnap, is a special place. And FWIW, I personally visit Clubsnap the most of those three forums, dpreview rarely, and photo.net next to never.

BTW Ed, it's Ian Wallis

Quote Originally Posted by pcwe68

I STILL DON'T UNDERSTAND? WHAT IS PHOTOGRAPHY WITHOUT PHOTO.
    I tell you, man with camera plus photos are "photographer", man with camera without photos are "cameraman". It's just camera+man!

Just My 2 cents...
    (Pls. do not flame me!! )

i guess this is not a case of right or wrong. This is just a natual progression in any Photo forum. A point to note is that CS has some many memebers tat managing and keep the standard up and have enough people to guide is always a major issue in CS capacity.

For those who feel tat your pics r not up to standard rest a sure tat all of us have a fair share of it be it in the past or now. Try to get help from people to make comments on your shots or if not join or organise outing and invite the Gurus as well so tat you can pick up a thing or 2 from them. I believe tat they are always more then glad to be able to help out anyone who ask people like Larry, Megaweb, Darren etc.

For those tat have deem or find tat themselves have surpress the newbie level of understanding the fundementals of photography. i urge you to step forward be a good sport and start contributing to up keeping the passion of photography of newbies like me. tat i guess in return will help improve the ties of the CS forum as well as the fun and pleasure of photography.

Most importantly is to have fun and enjoy, dont you think so??

Wat is Photography when there is no passion ??

Before this gets out of hand... may i kindly remind one and all to state their views in a civilised manner please?

The thread is coming along nicely and there seems to be some tension but it's still relatively mild...

Now, Laulee, as much as i am flattered that you mentioned myself in the exalted company of the rest of our CS "illunimaries", i would actually like to put things into perspective.

1 and a half years ago (yes, it's beginning to sound like so old grandmother story )when i started taking up photography as a hobby, i started off taking alot of shots. Crap shot. Aimless, pointless shots which i was thick skinned enough to post. And we have kind folks here we, instead of condemning me and telling me my shots were "pointless, aimless blah blah blah", they took it upon themselves to critique my works. Some were forceful but it was constructive.

Of course there would be nay-sayers and detractors telling me my shots weren't worthy of anything but the positive feedback from the nicer folks drove me and the negative comments spurred me to do even better. If for nothing else, i need to prove to myself that i can actually do better.

So, i guess, what i'm trying to say is... let's all give each other a lil room to grow, experiment, make mistakes, and from there, learn.

But of course, Laulee, you are definately entitled to your views but for everyone else, don't let negative comments from anyone put you down. All comments will help, may ot be negative or positive as it can be used as a form of motivation.

Hehehe.. Sounds like a pep talk, i know but i really mean it.

Cheers!
    --
    "High Wired, Dream Sired"

Talking

I am neutral. (is there such a thing?)

One thing I always understand; some people learn from lousy pictures and not to do them that often. some people learn from (copy??) good pictures and do it more often.

So... with this in mind, everybody gets to learn something; for both bad and good. to each his own.

How to make this a better place; instead of using words like "tolerance, bear with it", I think the more appropriate words/feelings should be "appreciate the differences". it applies in racial/social circumstances it applies here too.

I really dread the company of only GODs.. if you know what I mean. the superiority complex is absolutely overwhelming, just like those in the parlament. (couldn't resist.)

cheers..

lol

what's a good photo
    and what's a lousy photo

what's a good photographer
    and what's a lousy photographer

what is high standard
    and what's low standard

nobody can answer

we're all lost people

what is photography
    and what is art ?

thank you for mentioning my thread laulee
    i agree that it was total thrash
    but i have since improved
    thank you very much

but sometimes
    i'd appreciate more constructive comments
    perhaps about particular shots
    rather than
    "you should sell your camera"
    "do you even think before you shoot"

don't be so hostile
    lah.

and at the end of the day

what is photography
    and what is art

we're still all lost people.

Quote Originally Posted by sequitur
    lol

what's a good photo
    and what's a lousy photo

what's a good photographer
    and what's a lousy photographer

what is high standard
    and what's low standard

nobody can answer

we're all lost people

what is photography
    and what is art ?

thank you for mentioning my thread laulee
    i agree that it was total thrash
    but i have since improved
    thank you very much

but sometimes
    i'd appreciate more constructive comments
    perhaps about particular shots
    rather than
    "you should sell your camera"
    "do you even think before you shoot"

don't be so hostile
    lah.

and at the end of the day

what is photography
    and what is art

we're still all lost people.
    hmm... limericks... heh heh heh

Quote Originally Posted by SniperD
    hmm... limericks... heh heh heh

heh heh heh

but what's a limerick ?

as in

seriously
    i dunno what's a limerick
    lol

anyway... I reserved all comments but thanks to lauLEE for that undeserving mention of my name

People: Chinese New Year coming so it's time to bring your cameras for a little tour outside and share the festive mood

Default Road side sweeper....A photography Story maybe....

Hiee....

Hi LauLEE......that photo of the road sweeper to me is good. Only if you would have a series of follow up with some jounalist style story. Maybe somehting like.....a photo story of a road sweeper....and his after work activities....

Just a tip....here.

While i was in korea, i watched a few Photo Story programs which they show in one of the channels...i think Arirang..

There was this story of a man....who works in a junk yard(rubbish pile land). Where he will go there in the morning to help clear junks out of large lorries...
    However, the photos portrait in the first section is just simple...tractor, broom, man with dirty smelly clothes.....etc.

However...the Photo Story was about what this man does after his work time. As a junk yard worker.....he has access to many recyclable materials like metals and plastics. So he will picked these items and consolidate them and then bring them home to sell it to the recyclers. The money that he earned from sellin ghtse scrap materials ....is used to buy food and daily necessaties. These necessities were not bought for his own personal use but for a handicapped neighbour.....so the Photo Story...is very simple but have a very interesting storyline and a touching end.

So from the Road sweeper shot that you took.....it shows that the man is very relaxed...and unposed. So why not go for these kind of Photo Story shots......in the future...and come out with aphotostory...

regards,
    me

Talking

Sulhan,

you really dig into the thread to upz this one?

Luckily, its over the CNY so the traffic should be low... hopefully...

I must ask Lau Lee, what is your standard?

A picture no matter good or bad always have something to learn from.

I rather this forum stay this way than go high class or more professional.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast