Thread: Going overseas

Default Going overseas

hello all, tried a search but cant seem to get anything about it, so i am just asking for things to take note of when going overseas like what bag you carry, precautions, is it okie to just wrap clothings around the lenses or should there be a proper carry case for the camera equipment. Any other precaution like making the camera look old so nobody will rob you?? all advice is greatly appreciated. thanks

Default Re: Going overseas

Actually I'm surprised you haven't found anything. It's a pretty common topic. Make sure you have a carrying case that you can secure to yourself pretty well, and no amount of making the camera look old will stop a determined robber. Just make sure to prioritize safety, and use yor common sense. Avoid dark alleyways, etc.
    Alpha

thanks for the advice, i guess my search is not very good yet, will look thru more carefully. thinking of getting a lowepro bag but kinda afraid it shouts camera inside, any other options available?

you should consider the gears that you want to bring for travel before thinking of getting new bags. Normally, you would want to carry as light as possible when you are travelling, so you do not need a big bag. Next is the amount of distance you are going to walk while travelling, carry heavy stuff will definitely drain your energy fast. If you are considering a one lens attached to body setup, a small bag is good enough. If you are considering a few lenses + flash + tripod, maybe its best to get a backpack. While you are travelling, always ensure the bag is with you and not left unattended. Best is to get a few locks just in case you need it. Also, when getting a backpack, make sure it is flight friendly, meaning the size meets the requirement of hand carry luggage. Hope these info helps. Most important is to enjoy ur trip.

i travel all over every month. Just do what I would do in singapore.

Just dun do what you wont in Singapore; dun try to show off, dun try to take everything, dun listen to b*ll and c*ck stories passer-by tell you, dun leave things unattended and just be more alert and careful and enjoy the trip.

some of the precautions i read this forum (and other too) are either due from unlucky guys - which can also happen in singapore, or those gaffer their lens focusing ring because of scratch worry!'' And dun gaffer to make it looks safer - I have enough jokes already these few days.

Be as streetwise as you would be anywhere.

Any backpack that fits the gear will do.
    I have a backpack which has a full rain cover and plenty of pockets, just had to DIY foam inserts for the kit I want to carry. Cam+BG + 2 lenses, accessories and a 15" Laptop fit snugly.
    While in Nha Trang got caught in a 20 minute downpour and it kept everything dry while I was soaked to the skin all over.
    Learning DSLR control http://stormtrigger.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by eosandy View Post
    While in Nha Trang got caught in a 20 minute downpour and it kept everything dry while I was soaked to the skin all over.
    this has got to be the BEST testing for a bag ever!!!

what bag r u using?
    Stirring up emotions with pics - cyliew

Quote Originally Posted by mygixs View Post
    hello all, tried a search but cant seem to get anything about it, so i am just asking for things to take note of when going overseas like what bag you carry, precautions, is it okie to just wrap clothings around the lenses or should there be a proper carry case for the camera equipment. Any other precaution like making the camera look old so nobody will rob you?? all advice is greatly appreciated. thanks
    it doesn't matter what bag you carry, but of course, less camera-bag looking bags are better.

something like a billingham will be good, or a domke.. or you can put camera inserts into a normal bag.

no need to make camera look old, main thing is alertness. don't go into weird alleyways, in crowds take note of your surroundings, put your belongings where it is less easy to get stolen.. etc

a lot of this is common sense.

I do quite a bit of travelling myself...

Alot of tourists just hang their DSLRs around their necks and walk around...
    dont be overly paranoid about robbers mugging you openly..

just avoid dark alleys..

perhaps, you might wish to share where are you heading to..
    different advices for different cities...

Always keep your valuables close to you, cross sling your camera bag, and let common sense prevail.

Please don't do that...enjoy your trip. are u going to some dangerous region? i carry my lens with me and tripod because i din want to leave it in the hotel. when i do,i lock them in the lugguage. just be natural....sometimes the more u hide..the more ppl thinks your gear must be super ex...get a proper bag to carry and it will save u a lot of trouble. actually i was even thinking of getting a rolling case...cause i see the japs loves to push thee ard and i find it least punishing to shoulder or bag and most convenient...just cumbersome maybe when moving ard...

remember to attach your lens hood, it serves as a device to ward off potential aggressors. The bigger the hood, the better. Poke them in the sensitive spots, like eyes and between the legs.

Gaffer tape only works when the guy beside you is also a tourist, and using lots of white lens =P. haha.

Sry for the OT. Lighten the mood abit.

But serious note, just be cautions. and be confident. Body language will mean the difference when you're being stalked.

just keep a low profile.

i'm on crumpler
    not very good for compartments
    but safety wise i feel its quite good
    casual: hang at back
    alert: kiap under armpit

wait.. do i sound very aunty?
    Canon EOS 500D|BG-E5|18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 kit| 50mm f/1.8 II | 17-40mm f/4L | 580EXII
    HOLGA GCFN 120

thanks for all the advice, actually just popping up north to genting, and HK at the end of the year.. so no sure what precautions to take. I am sure i want to carry the camera up the plane for the HK trip is there a approximate bag size to carry on to the plane?? taking jetstar budget airlines

alamak

genting and hk is safe.. no need worry so much.

i would be very very very careful if going spain or italy.

just apply normal common sense.

hahahah oic oic ... thanks thanks..

Quote Originally Posted by ijnek View Post
    this has got to be the BEST testing for a bag ever!!!

what bag r u using?
    Not a test I wish to conduct, but it passed!!!

Brand = Mountain Dax.
    Learning DSLR control http://stormtrigger.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by mygixs View Post
    thanks for all the advice, actually just popping up north to genting, and HK at the end of the year.. so no sure what precautions to take. I am sure i want to carry the camera up the plane for the HK trip is there a approximate bag size to carry on to the plane?? taking jetstar budget airlines
    i think a thinktank will be good for you,

or a domke f3-x or a billingham hadley.

these protect your cameras well and yet not shout camera bags.

when on holiday (not photographic trips) i will bring my DSLR and wrap it in a jumper and place it in my slingbag/backpack. or as night86mare says, take the insert out of your cam bag and place it in your slingbag or backpack, no one'll know.
    Pentax K-x