Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 30 of 30

Thread: CPL for UWA lens

  1. #21

    Default Re: CPL for UWA lens

    Haha thanks night86mare. I will ask you again if I have any doubts on filters for wude angle lens.
    Clean. Simple. Makes out a good composition.

  2. #22

    Default Re: CPL for UWA lens

    Hi, try 12mm on FF, lines are not straight. At 14mm, lines improved. At 16mm, lines are straight. But at 12mm, the area covered is 122 degree and at 14mm, it is 114 degree and at18mm, it is 100 degree.

  3. #23
    Moderator ziploc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Snoopyland
    Posts
    4,577

    Default Re: CPL for UWA lens

    Quote Originally Posted by henry soh View Post
    Hi, try 12mm on FF, lines are not straight. At 14mm, lines improved. At 16mm, lines are straight. But at 12mm, the area covered is 122 degree and at 14mm, it is 114 degree and at18mm, it is 100 degree.
    Don't understand what you're trying to say. What does linear distortion/view angle have to do with CPL for UWA?

  4. #24

    Default Re: CPL for UWA lens

    Quote Originally Posted by henry soh View Post
    Hi, try 12mm on FF, lines are not straight. At 14mm, lines improved. At 16mm, lines are straight. But at 12mm, the area covered is 122 degree and at 14mm, it is 114 degree and at18mm, it is 100 degree.
    Quote Originally Posted by ziploc View Post
    Don't understand what you're trying to say. What does linear distortion/view angle have to do with CPL for UWA?
    Yea, I tot we are talking about gnd filters? CPL, polarizer.. etc.
    Clean. Simple. Makes out a good composition.

  5. #25

    Default Re: CPL for UWA lens

    Anyway just to side track, you don't need to consider buying a 77mm CPL much anyway. Later on in the hobby when you pick up a nice pro zoom lens, it will be 77mm threads, so it's much easier to just get a 77mm CPL, ND filters, GND and step up all your other lens to it. And as an additional bonus, Sigma 50 f/1.4 is 77mm too.

    And u will get rather bad vignietting with a B+W gnd filter at 11mm on the 116. 12mm onwards is ok.

    There are certain situations in which CPL could be used on a UWA but it's very situational based. Usually a CPL on a UWA leads to some "interesting" effects.

  6. #26
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: CPL for UWA lens

    Quote Originally Posted by Complex13717421 View Post
    Anyway just to side track, you don't need to consider buying a 77mm CPL much anyway. Later on in the hobby when you pick up a nice pro zoom lens, it will be 77mm threads, so it's much easier to just get a 77mm CPL, ND filters, GND and step up all your other lens to it. And as an additional bonus, Sigma 50 f/1.4 is 77mm too.

    And u will get rather bad vignietting with a B+W gnd filter at 11mm on the 116. 12mm onwards is ok.

    There are certain situations in which CPL could be used on a UWA but it's very situational based. Usually a CPL on a UWA leads to some "interesting" effects.
    Complex nice to see you here. Guess everything went ok for your hand carry for your flight?

    To the TS, CPL on a UWA can cause uneven polarization. A filter holder system with GND may work better for you.

  7. #27

    Default Re: CPL for UWA lens

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Complex nice to see you here. Guess everything went ok for your hand carry for your flight?

    To the TS, CPL on a UWA can cause uneven polarization. A filter holder system with GND may work better for you.
    Thanks daredevil. Emirates in singapore was very anal, and i totally didn't show them my hand carry when checking in, just put it on when passing customs. haha.


    Yeah filter holder system like tianya or cokin offers more flexiability for GND as you can adjust the horizone etc easier, but also has higher chance of flares etc because of the space between filter and lens. It boils down to preference. there is no "best" way of doing things. Don't use ND filters over 3 stops for holder system. very bad. (from my experience)

  8. #28
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: CPL for UWA lens

    Quote Originally Posted by Complex13717421 View Post
    Thanks daredevil. Emirates in singapore was very anal, and i totally didn't show them my hand carry when checking in, just put it on when passing customs. haha.


    Yeah filter holder system like tianya or cokin offers more flexiability for GND as you can adjust the horizone etc easier, but also has higher chance of flares etc because of the space between filter and lens. It boils down to preference. there is no "best" way of doing things. Don't use ND filters over 3 stops for holder system. very bad. (from my experience)
    Good one. LOL. Sometimes I do the same. chucking my hand carry someplace first.

    So far I am ok with Cokin, and have no problems with flares or ghosting. I guess being mindful to avoid such problems is important. And a lot depends on the subject. For landscapes it is pretty much a must have for me although I would avoid using the Cokin when handheld.

  9. #29

    Default Re: CPL for UWA lens

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Good one. LOL. Sometimes I do the same. chucking my hand carry someplace first.

    So far I am ok with Cokin, and have no problems with flares or ghosting. I guess being mindful to avoid such problems is important. And a lot depends on the subject. For landscapes it is pretty much a must have for me although I would avoid using the Cokin when handheld.
    I agree. I actually have no issues with cokin system. just to side track and curious, have you tried >5 min exposures with a cokin system? Last time i did, haha lots and lots of flares. I'm using a B+W ND113 (13stop) now.

  10. #30
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: CPL for UWA lens

    Quote Originally Posted by Complex13717421 View Post
    I agree. I actually have no issues with cokin system. just to side track and curious, have you tried >5 min exposures with a cokin system? Last time i did, haha lots and lots of flares. I'm using a B+W ND113 (13stop) now.
    Never had a need to do it that long. Yes, for anything more than 5 stops I would actually recommend going for the B+Ws. Since Cokin only comes with ND4 and ND8, having too many pieces of ND tend to give a color cast.

    Max I ever did was 5 stops ND4+ND8 plus a GND4 and it was really pushing it on the cokin.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •