Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30

Thread: CPL for UWA lens

  1. #1

    Default CPL for UWA lens

    i'm checking this out and seeking help from those of you who owns a uwa lens such as tokina 11-16..

    is a slim CPL a must to avoid vignetting or can I just get any CPL to do the job?

  2. #2

    Default Re: CPL for UWA lens

    Yes, slim cpl is a must. Otherwise if u use at 11 mm u can get vignetting.

  3. #3

    Default Re: CPL for UWA lens

    Suggest you do a search on CPL and UWA. Due to the wide coverage the degree of polarization is usually uneven across the frame, and the outcome is quite ugly, mostly.

    Most people opt for graduated ND with UWA instead of CPL.

  4. #4
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,390

    Default Re: CPL for UWA lens

    Quote Originally Posted by akagi07 View Post
    i'm checking this out and seeking help from those of you who owns a uwa lens such as tokina 11-16..
    is a slim CPL a must to avoid vignetting or can I just get any CPL to do the job?
    Go to the shops and try (if possible), vignetting is easily recognized. I don't have any issues with Sigma 10-20 and Tokina standard CPL. Just the uneven polarization sometimes.
    EOS

  5. #5
    Senior Member yyD70S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,454

    Default Re: CPL for UWA lens

    Your best bet is to try it yourself but you could do no harm (except $, of course) opting for the slimmer version.

    CPLs "DO" have a part to play on UWA; cutting reflections in foliage and water if you're into landscapes, etc



    Quote Originally Posted by akagi07 View Post
    i'm checking this out and seeking help from those of you who owns a uwa lens such as tokina 11-16..

    is a slim CPL a must to avoid vignetting or can I just get any CPL to do the job?
    Last edited by yyD70S; 8th September 2009 at 09:14 AM.

  6. #6

    Default Re: CPL for UWA lens

    seems like spending a bomb on getting cpl for tokina is unavoidable.

  7. #7

    Default Re: CPL for UWA lens

    Hi, check out www.kenrockwell.com site. CPL cannot be used in WAL below 16mm because of uneven light distribution over the scenery.

  8. #8

    Default Re: CPL for UWA lens

    Thinking of getting a Kenko Pro1D CPL for my Tokina 116 from an online seller. Anyone knows if this will cause vignetting at 11mm?

  9. #9

    Default Re: CPL for UWA lens

    don't bother with CPL with UWA pls...

    uneven polarisation

    uneven polarisation

    just google for the results, you will know that you don't want it.

  10. #10

    Default Re: CPL for UWA lens

    yes i am well aware of cpl with uwa
    but still hesitate

    well i would still prefer uneven blue sky rather than overblown highlights

    still i am trying to know more about nd filters as well

  11. #11

    Default Re: CPL for UWA lens

    Quote Originally Posted by Valjean View Post
    Thinking of getting a Kenko Pro1D CPL for my Tokina 116 from an online seller. Anyone knows if this will cause vignetting at 11mm?
    As far as I can recall, no. The CPL's been stuck to my Tokina for quite some time now, no major issues so far.
    Last edited by Hexlord; 8th September 2009 at 02:56 PM.
    Black Rabbit Photography
    DeviantArt | Multiply | Flickr

  12. #12
    Senior Member Numnumball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central
    Posts
    13,914

    Default Re: CPL for UWA lens

    Quote Originally Posted by Valjean View Post
    Thinking of getting a Kenko Pro1D CPL for my Tokina 116 from an online seller. Anyone knows if this will cause vignetting at 11mm?
    Used it before, no vignetting. (i still keep the Kenko Pro1 though sold my tokina)

    But to be frank, results aren't great on a UWA (getting uneven blue in the sky etc..) BUT i still stick wif it becasue it show details and cut reflections!
    Last edited by Numnumball; 8th September 2009 at 05:05 PM.
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

  13. #13

    Default Re: CPL for UWA lens

    Quote Originally Posted by akagi07 View Post
    yes i am well aware of cpl with uwa
    but still hesitate

    well i would still prefer uneven blue sky rather than overblown highlights

    still i am trying to know more about nd filters as well
    overblwon higlights can be resolved with GND FILTER.

  14. #14

    Default Re: CPL for UWA lens

    just got a ultra slim uv 77mm instead.
    experimenting with manual ev adjustment.

  15. #15

    Default Re: CPL for UWA lens

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    overblwon higlights can be resolved with GND FILTER.
    Hey so do you mean, CPL will create uneven polarisation, then GND can solve the overblown highlights? So basically, you use ND filters right... please share. thank you
    Clean. Simple. Makes out a good composition.

  16. #16

    Default Re: CPL for UWA lens

    Ultra slim CPL allows you to stake another GND with minimal vignetting but will cost more.

    When polarizing the sky, just be watchful as one section may become unnaturally blue. Just turn the CPL till it is less obvious.

  17. #17

    Default Re: CPL for UWA lens

    Quote Originally Posted by LomoPhotographer View Post
    Hey so do you mean, CPL will create uneven polarisation, then GND can solve the overblown highlights? So basically, you use ND filters right... please share. thank you
    if you read up on what a graduated neutral density filter does, versus a circular polariser does..

    gnd =/= nd, one is graduated, one is not.

    google is your best friend, the literature on the net isn't that hard to understand, i hope.

  18. #18

    Default Re: CPL for UWA lens

    If you intend to use screw on type filters a GND is worthless IMO, I bought one when I got my first SLR and unless you want to have all your horizons in the middle of the frame they are useless. I wish someone would make a GND that had the split at one third instead of half way, never use mine. The slip in type work as you can position the split pretty much where you want, but with the holder and filters it gets pretty expensive. You can do pretty much everything a GND does by blending layers in PSE7. Get a CPL and a couple of ND filters, that is all you will need. I bought the filter for my largest diameter lens (10-22mm) and step up rings for the smaller diameter lenses.

  19. #19

    Default Re: CPL for UWA lens

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    if you read up on what a graduated neutral density filter does, versus a circular polariser does..

    gnd =/= nd, one is graduated, one is not.

    google is your best friend, the literature on the net isn't that hard to understand, i hope.
    Hi thanks. I did read up at wiki. But seems like not much information/I dont quite understand.
    I will go read up more and post any doubts here. thanks all! cos i just got my wide angle lenssss excited.
    Clean. Simple. Makes out a good composition.

  20. #20

    Default Re: CPL for UWA lens

    Quote Originally Posted by LomoPhotographer View Post
    Hi thanks. I did read up at wiki. But seems like not much information/I dont quite understand.
    I will go read up more and post any doubts here. thanks all! cos i just got my wide angle lenssss excited.
    what do you not understand?

    can show the article, the parts you do not understand i will explain for you

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •