Thread: IS OS and VR.. are they necessary???

Default IS OS and VR.. are they necessary???

hi all pro out there i have some question to ask. I'm not sure if this have been asked before or not coz the clubsnap search engine is pretty helpless, it seem unable to find any info.. if this have been answered before, please be patience to answer again or even better, post the link here.

ok here's the question... i am intending to get a 18-200mm... and the price for one that have vr and non-vr is quite a big difference... so i wanna ask wat is the effect if ur lens doesn't have vr at all, does it even help when u shoot at speed like 1/60sec?
    ztphotography
    Nikon D90 | Nikon D600 | Canon ixus 120IS

Default Re: IS OS and VR.. are they necessary???

Quote Originally Posted by skyguy View Post
    hi all pro out there i have some question to ask. I'm not sure if this have been asked before or not coz the clubsnap search engine is pretty helpless, it seem unable to find any info.. if this have been answered before, please be patience to answer again or even better, post the link here.

ok here's the question... i am intending to get a 18-200mm... and the price for one that have vr and non-vr is quite a big difference... so i wanna ask wat is the effect if ur lens doesn't have vr at all, does it even help when u shoot at speed like 1/60sec?
    This issue has been discussed many times and the bottom line is that if u've unsteady hands and shoot lots in indoor or low-lighting situations, these are helpful.

For me, i think they're more useful for anything above 200 to 300mm.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

for tele yes it's useful,,,,

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by skyguy View Post
    so i wanna ask wat is the effect if ur lens doesn't have vr at all, does it even help when u shoot at speed like 1/60sec?
    If you're shooting at 250mm, then following the 1/focal length rule you'd normally need 1/250s shutter speed to get a "blur free" image. So at 1/60s, OS will definitely help if you are shooting handheld.

Here's a good example that includes 1/60s shots, even at "just" 200mm
    http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/..._n15/page3.asp
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    If you're shooting at 250mm, then following the 1/focal length rule you'd normally need 1/250s shutter speed to get a "blur free" image. So at 1/60s, OS will definitely help if you are shooting handheld.

Here's a good example that includes 1/60s shots, even at "just" 200mm
    http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/..._n15/page3.asp
    thanks man, ur reply is the most helpful, thread closed
    ztphotography
    Nikon D90 | Nikon D600 | Canon ixus 120IS