Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4789101114 ... LastLast

Thread: Your views on the current surging property market

Default Re: Your views on the current surging property market

Quote Originally Posted by diver-hloc View Post
    Err.... could you tell me where/when you could 'Afford To Be Jobless' ??
    You still don't quite get it huh?
    Anyway to answer your question, I can afford to be jobless for many years,
    because I am not tie down by any housing loans or car loan. Think about it.
    Last edited by scanner; 17th September 2009 at 01:30 AM.

Wow, you guys amaze me.
    "Like Moths, photographers gather at the sight of light" Robert Doisneau
    My Little Port

Quote Originally Posted by scanner View Post
    I can afford to be jobless for many years because I am not tie down by any housing loans or car loan.
    You have achieved financial independent.

Just to add on, once you got loan from the bank or CPF board,
    maybe say for the next 10 to 30 years, likelihood that you can't
    afford to be jobless. How sad....
    ???? common... what do you mean by jobless? The calculations we have done are not using ALL your money into housing. It is like only 25% of your income so you are supposed to be able to save your money for a rainy day.

I mean you don't expect to be jobless for 10 years and be able to pay off your housing loan right???? but with some savings, you should be able to be jobless for 6 months without seriously affecting your housing loan.

If you insist on spending your every last cents and no savings, then what are you complaining about? It is those new generation americans who have so little savings that are having problems with housing loans when the going gets bad.
    Last edited by alantkh; 17th September 2009 at 06:40 AM.

but to be frank,

I am curious about those saying HDB is affordable, are you looking for your FIRST hdb flat now or have you bought your hdb flat a few years back or are living in private now?

I am not looking to buy my first HDB now so maybe I that is why I can so easily say it is affordable

That is the crux of the problem facing ***. People who have took the plunge 5-10 years ago will support the rising prices. People who have zero property are in a fix as with the same amount of money, they have to lower their expectations and get a smaller flat or more ulu place.

Quote Originally Posted by zj2000 View Post
    Yes, hdbs are still affordable. Important thing is you must have the right expectation. If you want to stay near town then be prepared to pay more. If you want cheap housing then look for the more ulu places but still near mrt like pioneer or sengkang. If that is still too expensive then look for those super ulu places like maybe teban where there is no mrt nearby. Even super ulu places willbe within an hour from the cbd (take bus then train), this is not too bad compared to places like KL, London or HK where many ppl take an hour to get to work.

Many of those who complain about prices being too high are those looking for flats in hot areas like queenstown, toa payoh but only willing to pay sengkand prices.
    But you forget that they want areas like queenstown, toa payoh so that their parent can help to look after their baby or so that they can visit their parent often. To pay house ulu and non-ulu, you need both person to work in order to pay for it. Buy ulu area is good only if you get it near MRT so that you can save time sending baby to and from parent house. People who work ends at 7+ and live in ulu area may mean that they can bring your baby house only on weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by alantkh View Post
    ???? common... what do you mean by jobless? The calculations we have done are not using ALL your money into housing. It is like only 25% of your income so you are supposed to be able to save your money for a rainy day.

I mean you don't expect to be jobless for 10 years and be able to pay off your housing loan right???? but with some savings, you should be able to be jobless for 6 months without seriously affecting your housing loan.

If you insist on spending your every last cents and no savings, then what are you complaining about? It is those new generation americans who have so little savings that are having problems with housing loans when the going gets bad.
    Hope you understanding what I am trying to get across. Once you are tied down by loan such as housing for the next many years, do you think you can afford to be jobless for long?

Quote Originally Posted by USM View Post
    You have achieved financial independent.
    Still working on it .
    The most important thing is you must know what is the needs and want.
    At least, I do not have any "bad" loan and liability.

This is one important key to financial independent.

Still working on it .
    The most important thing is you must know what is the needs and want.
    At least, I do not have any "bad" loan and liability.

This is one important key to financial independent.
    I am too, momentarily that is. Problem is, even when we have a fully paid off condo, and don't own a car, that "itchy backside" syndrome strikes without fail, only a matter of time. In my case, I've been saving up for a second purchase once this property "wilder beast stampede" has normalized somewhat.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunbucker View Post
    I am too, momentarily that is. Problem is, even when we have a fully paid off condo, and don't own a car, that "itchy backside" syndrome strikes without fail, only a matter of time. In my case, I've been saving up for a second purchase once this property "wilder beast stampede" has normalized somewhat.
    有钱人
    Gallery|Baby gallery
    I have become an expert in cleaning poo

You still don't quite get it huh?
    Anyway to answer your question, I can afford to be jobless for many years,
    because I am not tie down by any housing loans or car loan. Think about it.

You mean you are still living with your parents ??

Or you have already paid off your loan ??

Scuba & Father... For Life

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    Just as you feel others' expectations are too high, there will eb those that feel that you are living a life of luxury and that you can lower it even more . Take a leaf from your own book and lower some more; it will be good for you

I agree.... much as it would be the same for people to complaint less about resale flats and get BTO type unit.

vince123123
    Guests

Lower your expectations, live in a hut!

I agree.... much as it would be the same for people to complaint less about resale flats and get BTO type unit.

Lower your expectations, live in a hut!
    At least you will get a hut.... If you stand around and complaint/bit*h all day long.... you can't even afford a hut in the end

Hope you understanding what I am trying to get across. Once you are tied down by loan such as housing for the next many years, do you think you can afford to be jobless for long?
    so your point is no housing loan so you can afford to be jobless for many years?

That is hardly an encouraging mentality. For my case, I paid off my EC 2 years back. Both my cars are fully paid so I was loan free for sometime until one week ago.

but now I am saddled with another housing loan because I upgraded to a freehold landed. I think the general population will always want to upgrade.

Although I hope that the landed property will be like what it was 4 years back, I basically made a decision on how much can I afford and just bought what I can afford. 4 years back I can probably afford 2300sqft land with my money in hand. now it is 1800 sqft.

I think life is like that. Either you EARN more then you can buy more. If you cannot earn more, then lower your expectations. Or you can wait for a downturn patiently. Or you can petition to the government.
    Last edited by alantkh; 17th September 2009 at 10:04 AM.

so your point is no housing loan so you can afford to be jobless for many years?

That is hardly an encouraging mentality. For my case, I paid off my EC 2 years back. Both my cars are fully paid so I was loan free for sometime until one week ago.

but now I am saddled with another housing loan because I upgraded to a freehold landed. I think the general population will always want to upgrade.

Although I hope that the landed property will be like what it was 4 years back, I basically made a decision on how much can I afford and just bought what I can afford. 4 years back I can probably afford 2300sqft land with my money in hand. now it is 1800 sqft.

I think life is like that. Either you EARN more then you can buy more. If you cannot earn more, then lower your expectations. Or you can wait for a downturn patiently. Or you can petition to the government.

Took the words right out of my mouth....

But you should change the last part to Complaint/Bit*h about the Govt....
    Last edited by diver-hloc; 17th September 2009 at 10:09 AM.

vince123123
    Guests

Oh its all right, I can more than afford a hut at the moment It was more of informing you to give up your HDB flat and go live in a hut . Lower expectations mah!

At least you will get a hut.... If you stand around and complaint/bit*h all day long.... you can't even afford a hut in the end

Yes, you are right. But the problem is many Singaporean have the urge to get bigger house.

To be able to quit job and to be "jobless for long period, one must either have a pocket deep enough or must have some financial mechanism to keep one afloat during this period. He/she will be at a better position if he/she do not have any outstanding loan.

Back to housing issue, one of the reason property is popular among Singaporean is because it is one of the best bet to beat inflation. Well, that is true, but at what expense if oneself is taking up hugh loan? The interest might kill oneself if not careful.

Nevertheless, I believe in share market is one of the best bet for investment (if you know how the game is played). At least, no interest to the bank,no property tax and etc. At least for local share market, there is no capital gain tax.

Anyway, it looks like you are doing very well. Well done!

Oh its all right, I can more than afford a hut at the moment It was more of informing you to give up your HDB flat and go live in a hut . Lower expectations mah!
    Yes my expectation is low as well. Thats why I can afford to chose to quit job for a long time if I wanted to.....

Its all about choices. If you choose to live in Singapore, you have to choose whether it is more economical to rent or to buy, in the short, medium and long term. If you commit to buy, then its a matter of 'beg steal borrow' and of course work your butt off to pay for it. This applies to the majority of property owners in Singapore.

The pitfall is you are committed and if the property market goes south or you lose your job, the good luck to you. The upside is of course property prices goes up, then you are sitting pretty. Capital appreciation over the last 20 - 30 years have been fantastic so those who have made the decision to buy are now laughing all the way to the bank. They could jolly well sell off their property and migrate, or downsize and have no financial worries about their remaining years. Those who have not purchased a property meanwhile find that their money is growing smaller, property prices keep going up so much so that what they could afford few years back are now out of reach. Coupled with the fact that rental is not cheap.

Economics wise, if your parents dont have a home for u to stay in and you have to pay rent, then assuming a 'for argument sake rental of $1k per month', over the course of 30 years, the person would have paid 360k (simple maths) in rental. If u had bot a flat, this amount is invested in your flat, and u could either sell it or live in it for remaining years without paying any more installment. If you chose to pay rent, then its pure cash outflow and you are still contributing to flat ownership, your landlord's to be exact. He is laughing his way to the bank cause you are paying off his mortgage, and you are still complaining about property prices. The mouth can keep complaining about property prices whilst the pocket suffer like crazy

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4789101114 ... LastLast