Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: taking photos for competitions

  1. #1

    Default taking photos for competitions

    i am planning to take part in some photography competition and was wondering if there are any tips to shoot competitively?

    any help would be appreciated. thanks.

  2. #2

    Default Re: taking photos for competitions

    Where to start? What competition? Take pretty flower pictures? Nude portrait? Ants? Sky? People? Garbage in, garbage out.

    This topic could fill several books, or be summarized in two sentences:

    Nobody can teach you the creativity that you would need to take a picture that stands out from the rest. It is only you and your camera that can make the difference, and if you think you need people to teach you that, then you have already lost the competition.
    Alpha

  3. #3

    Default Re: taking photos for competitions

    Quote Originally Posted by hellfire88 View Post
    i am planning to take part in some photography competition and was wondering if there are any tips to shoot competitively?

    any help would be appreciated. thanks.
    i don't believe in shooting "for competitions".

    i just shoot regularly, and happily. and then i submit what better things came out of that.

    that way, you enjoy it a lot more.

  4. #4

    Default Re: taking photos for competitions

    Quote Originally Posted by hellfire88 View Post
    i am planning to take part in some photography competition and was wondering if there are any tips to shoot competitively?

    any help would be appreciated. thanks.
    should be useful. talk by Triston Yeo,

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-L-eTAASuI
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4l-LcIRvpk
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Jy1fDRBhJo
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

  5. #5

    Default Re: taking photos for competitions

    Somehow, I agree with night86mare.

    But my suggestion would be look for those photo that wins competition, try to isolate the elements that makes the photos stand out from the rest. However, this could make your photos lost creativity, if you tend to follow other's style.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Lomographer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Paterson Road
    Posts
    2,047

    Default Re: taking photos for competitions

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    i don't believe in shooting "for competitions".

    i just shoot regularly, and happily. and then i submit what better things came out of that.

    that way, you enjoy it a lot more.
    this way is much better, and you will not have any pressure to copy others' style to win the competition), it's more natural.

    your style and what you want to shoot will stand out when shooting normally and not under competitive pressure...

    hope this helps
    Pentax K-x

  7. #7

    Default Re: taking photos for competitions

    one more piece of advice,

    please don't take part in competitions expecting a "must win" kind of thing, or after that cry foul.

    every competition is subjective, even if you are good, you can't win all the time; even if you are bad, sometimes also might win, that is life.

    this is not targeting anyone in particular, but you can read it to gain insights on what the wrong attitude when participating in competitions can lead to.. winning is not everything.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Lomographer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Paterson Road
    Posts
    2,047

    Default Re: taking photos for competitions

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    one more piece of advice,

    please don't take part in competitions expecting a "must win" kind of thing, or after that cry foul.

    every competition is subjective, even if you are good, you can't win all the time; even if you are bad, sometimes also might win, that is life.

    this is not targeting anyone in particular, but you can read it to gain insights on what the wrong attitude when participating in competitions can lead to.. winning is not everything.
    true, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose

    that's life... just go with the intention of gaining experiences, and doing the thing you love most (shooting) and learning things, and when you win anything, it's a bonus and a mild surprise.

    if you lose, we pick ourselves up, and keep walking. there's plenty more competitions to take part in
    Pentax K-x

  9. #9

    Default Re: taking photos for competitions

    Quote Originally Posted by Lomographer View Post

    if you lose, we pick ourselves up, and keep walking. there's plenty more competitions to take part in
    in life, there is always a balance.

    there is nothing wrong in feeling angry or pissed with yourself if you do not win a competition; but one should move on quickly enough.

    there is nothing wrong in feeling happy for winning one, but one should realise that it is just one, and after a while accolades of that sort mean little to anyone else but the ones that you really shouldn't care about, i.e. people too enamoured with 功名..

    taking competitions seriously enough to shoot well, yet not to the extent where you just crash and burn when you do not win anything.. that is the way to go.

    some of the world's best photographers have not won a single award their entire life.

    in singapore, ken seet has won nothing that i can think of, but he has the respect of many good photographers. doesn't that say a lot?

  10. #10

    Default Re: taking photos for competitions

    thanks all for the very valuable insights.

    really appreciate it.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •